Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samnaun?

Poster: A snowHead
I am wondering if anybody has first hand experience staying/skiing in Samnaun? I am thinking about going to Ischgl first week of Jan, but would prefer staying in a quieter place (something like Stuben in the Alberg region). Samnaun looks pretty spread out, or rather a series of small hamlets. Any advice which one would be a better place to stay? Any recommendation on hotels or apartments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't comment on Samnaun, but I would recommend Kappl as a quieter place to stay whilst skiing Ischgl. It's about 10 minutes up the road by free ski bus. Definitely not a party town but has a few restaurants - mainly but not all associated with a hotel. There's a little apres ski hut where you can get a Gluhwein, but that's very quiet/family orientated. We stayed at Hotel Dorfstadl (lovely), and also at a couple of small guesthouses which were also nice though I can't remember the names now.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samnaum's a proper village not jut a collection of hamlets but smaller and quieter than Ischgl. A few bars and restaurants, number of duty free shops. It shares its ski area completely with Ischgl. You'd need to make sure you're in time for the last cable car back as its an expensive taxi journey back. I've not stayed there but have often skied over for lunch, intending to do so again this season. Kappl's certainly an alternative, probably a cheaper option given the strength of the swiss franc. It has is own ski area as well, small but reasonably interesting.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The lively part of Ischgl is concentrated in the centre, the rest of it is pretty quiet. If you pick a hotel out of the centre, it should be fine if you did want to stay there. Except for the church which starts bonging at 6.45am. But I think all the villages have those?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samnaun is definitely quieter..
Skied there many times. Alp Trida / Alp Bella are really the parts of the ski area on the Swiss side. with a skiable route down. And of course one skiable route down from Palinkopf on the Austrian side (bad weather can close access to the connecting lift for this). To be honest from an access to the slopes perspective I don't think it makes much difference whether you are in Samnaun or Ischgl. A bonus of staying on the Austrian side would be relatively quick and easy access to other local resorts such as Galtur, Kappl which are a short bus ride away.

Like you I looked at it a couple of years ago as a lower cost alternative to Ischgl, but didn't really make much sense to me. the transfer was longer, and more of a challenge and the hotels didn't really seem massively
different in price.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_sauvage,
I have skied this area quite a few times and stayed on both sides of the mountain, there is not anywhere that quite corresponds to Stuben, ie a place that you can ski to and from but is a relatively quiet hamlet.

Samnaun as you have correctly observed is really a series of villages rather than a single place. Highest up the valley is the main bit of Samnaun which is basically a collection of reasonably comfortable hotels and lots of duty free shops, fairly well presented but a bit soulless. There is a ski run back to this bit that is generally a straightforward red though it can get icy as most return runs can and there is a section that is prone to very flat light at the end of the day. To get back to the skiing (other than a village nursery lift) you have to either take a short bus down to Ravaisch or pole along the rather flat valley bottom.
Ravaisch is where the cable car goes from the cable car is actually separated from the hamlet and a bit of a walk or a ski bus Skiing back down to Ravaisch is either the pole along the bottom and then a short walk uphill or off piste. It looks a somewhat dull spot though I have not stayed there.
Further down the valley are Laret and Compatsch both of which are easily skied back to on piste given adequate snow and there is a regular skibus to the cable car. These are very pleasant hamlets Compatsch being quite rustic and where we have stayed in the past, but they are not lively.

On the Ischgl side of the hill, Ischgl is clearly the main bit it is very lively and access to and from the skiing is pretty straightforward though the runs back at the end of the day are notoriously crowded and icy, though pleasant at other times. Quite a pricey place to stay
Mathon is a small hamlet just outside Ischgl. Though you need the bus to get to and from the lifts.
At the top of the valley Galtur is a very pleasant little village in an open but cold setting it has its own small but interesting ski area, You have to get the bus to access the Ischgl skiing in both directions.
Down the valley Kappl occupies a more enclosed spot but also has its own skiing and is probably the cheapest close place to stay, we have stayed there many times it s possibly somewhat less rustic then Galtur but not unpleasant though the bottom of the valley will be very dark in January. You need to use the bus to access the Ischgl skiing it is possible to ski back to from the Samnaun ski area though as it is well away from the avalanche protected main ski area local guidance is recommended for the inexperienced.
All the bus journey can be avoided if you have your own car as the main lift stations all have free parking close by though the closest at Ischgl fill up early and the alternative is a slightly longer walk or paid for underground parking (fairly cheap).

If you are only intending skiing the main Ischgl area then the Ischgl / Samnaun pass is available to people staying in Ischgl, Samnaun (All parts) or Mathon. If you are staying in Galtur, Kappl or elsewhere you have to buy the full valley pass which includes See, Kappl, Ischgl/Samnaun and Galtur even if you only wish to use the Ischgl Samnaun lifts it is about 15% more expensive from memory
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar, Quality post Smile

I've always thought Samnaun an odd place - what is it with those duty free places? Are they expecting skiers to take 200 bifters back over the border into Austria to save €1.50 or whatever?

Hard to see why anyone (non Swiss) would choose to stay there rather than Ishcgl
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27,
Quote:

T Bar, Quality post

Thank you.
Quote:

I've always thought Samnaun an odd place - what is it with those duty free places? Are they expecting skiers to take 200 bifters back over the border into Austria to save €1.50 or whatever?

Judging by the frequency with which the customs men stop you on the border I suspect quite a few do. I ski with a backpack and am stooped at least once a week.
Strangely enough I don't know what the tax is on sugar but it appeared to be heavily advertised in some of the small shops for car drivers one year.
Quote:

Hard to see why anyone (non Swiss) would choose to stay there rather than Ishcgl

Judging by the sizes of the places most do not , quite a few Samnaun skiers come up the valley from Spiss. However it is a lot quieter if that is important, until the Swiss Franc took off it was cheaper too.
It is quite a friendly place we go in a party of two families and even though we now go to Kappl to stay we still use the Samnaun ski school which is cheaper and very friendly. Or at least we have done until this year. The family size is diminishing and we could not book our usual place and next year we are going elsewhere for a change.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:

You've clearly never had a night out in Ischgl chatting with other skiers...with every Russian you meet showing you the new watches they've bought over in Samnaun.

Never known anyone else buy anything but the Russians seem to love it!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T-bar, thank you, it is a great review!!
If you don't mind, I have a few more questions. I have noticed that almost all skiing is done above 1800 m (which must be great for snow conditions). We usual ski Alps in the middle of March, when low temperatures are normally not a problem. But this year we have go first week of Jan. How cold does it get in Ischgl that time of a year?? I (or my wife actually) sort of draw a line at -20C as far as skiing is concerned 'Very Happy' Also, does that famous "tax-free" status of Samnaun has any effect on regular prices, like in bars and restaurants? In other words, are they similar to ones in the rest of Switzerland or more along with ones in Austria? One would think that most of their supplies are coming from Austria probably. And the last one: is it possible to drive from Samnaun to St. Moritz or Davos for a day of skiing? The road (at least to St. Moritz) seems to be open in winter according to the map.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_sauvage,
I have only visited once at New Year, the rest of the time being in February. The cold has not really been a problem on my visits to Ischgl/Samnaun though the slopes at Galtur are noticeably colder. There are no guarantees at this time of the year though, I would guess that a real cold spell is not much worse here than elsewhere, in my experience during very cold weather temperature inversion often makes the valleys colder than the slightly higher slopes.
Stormy weather can be more of a problem there are really no sheltered slopes in Samnaun and only a few in Ischgl. Kappl is a little better in this respect.
Prices on the mountain are a bit above the Austrian norm and a bit more in Samnaun from recollection, but better than some of the French Tarentaise resorts.
I can't say I have traveled towards St Moritz though it is marked on the roads and I would imagine the roads are decent but it is a bit of a distance over the Reschenpass, I have never skied there. Davos is a great place to ski but I wouldn't go for a day from Samnaun when there is so much locally.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a Skibum in the 80's I used to do contraband traficing from Samnaun (Cigarettes/cheap skis) to to the locals in Ischgl in return for a room & shower .
Was a great time. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

As a Skibum in the 80's I used to do contraband traficing from Samnaun (Cigarettes/cheap skis) to to the locals in Ischgl in return for a room & shower .
Was a great time. Very Happy Very Happy

I am pretty sure it was a lot of fun Smile How is the weather in St Anton? Any snow on the ground?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_sauvage,

0.5M at 2000metres
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've stayed in Ischgl and I quite liked it, albeit it was a few years ago, Samnaun was a strange place and I'd definitely not choose to stay there......it's got a sort of chavvy duty free type vibe, loads of day trippers by non-skiing locals and reminded me of car boot sales on a Sunday! Went for the day from Ischgl and couldn't wait to get away. Best thing about it was the huge double decker lift car.

Skiing in Ischgl great, loads if cruisy reds, not sure if I'd like it these days, don't recall much off piste but I'm sure it's there if you know what your doing - at the time I was happy motoring about on piste.

All the above said - Ischgl is a hard partying town and has a serious German drinking scene, very busy in bars and lunch stops with Babarian glitterati. If that's you thing you'd love it. Too many Russians apparently nowadays too. Hope they never open the Kappl link to Rendl. wink
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
...has a serious German drinking scene, very busy in bars and lunch stops with Babarian glitterati.

Good word Toofy Grin A cross between Bavarian and Barbarian which describes them perfectly
snow conditions
red 27, blooming heck, spellcheck! rolling eyes
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
Too many Russians apparently nowadays too. Hope they never open the Kappl link to Rendl. wink

Sorry, but we had been skiing this route with Andy Thurner at least the last 6 years. Blush
snow conditions
Einari78, agreed, lets keep it that way eh? wink
snow report
I have driven to Davos and St Moritz before. It could be done in a day trip from Samnaun to Davos because it is about 46 miles. However one has to go through the Klosters/Susch tunnel which is by a transporter train so you might waste 30 to 45 minutes in loading and unloding from the train. It is like the Euro tunnel but the train is a lot older and has no cover. The road from Samnaun to St Moritz is open in winter and the distance is 53 miles so it can be done in a day trip too. I have done Livigno from St Moritz and it was about 39 miles using part of this road which is the main thoroughfare to St Moritz from Austria.

The best way to ski Ischgl is to stay in the Austria Silvretta Valley. You can ski the 4 areas within this valley and still able to do day trip to St Anton and Serfaus-Fiss-Landis.

Although I did Davos and St Moritz in the same trip I stayed at both places and both resorts are actually collections of several unlinked areas. Davos has 5 and St Moritz has 3 so a day trip has little scope to explore enough of each resort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy