Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avi gear for L2?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

For those who've done their L2 and above as well as training for these courses, do you need avi gear (transceiver, probe, shovel) for the variables element? If not, why?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Course guidance says you need it, but Trainers don't seem to require you to carry the kit (at least on the courses I've done). Mountain Safety courses at L3 and L4 being obvious exceptions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abd, backpacks of any kind (even hydration) were banned on my L2 as they're deemed to adversely affect your balance. The variables element is piste side on about a 25 degree pitch so avi risk is pretty much non-existent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abd, my L2 variable was done on the unpisted parts of the stade!

I wore a small rucksack for water and a layer, no avi gear needed.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
Course guidance says you need it, but Trainers don't seem to require you to carry the kit (at least on the courses I've done). Mountain Safety courses at L3 and L4 being obvious exceptions.

L2 course guidance says the opposite Rob!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

L2 course guidance says the opposite Rob!!
My failing memory! Been a few years since I read the L2 course guidance. L3 says you have to have avy kit. What does L2 say?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, L2 pre course guidance says

It is recommended that you ski without a rucksack to reach your best performance levels. Hydration is
important so skiing with a water pack or waist bottle holder is acceptable.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, OK, no mention of avy kit? Pretty sure it did say you needed the kit when I did my L2.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, don't think so, the pdf is on the basi site..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski, OK, no mention of avy kit? Pretty sure it did say you needed the kit when I did my L2.

For sure no avi kit required for L2
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you everyone. kitenski I can't seem to find the pdf on the BASI site, could you give me the link.

Thanks again

Andy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abd, Good luck
http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Level_2_Instructor_More_About_the_Course_July_2011.pdf
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BASI pdf wrote:
It is recommended that you ski without a rucksack to reach your best performance levels. Hydration is important so skiing with a water pack or waist bottle holder is acceptable

Level 2 Instructor Pre-course Information June 2011
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
all docs for all levels are here

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/pre-course-information.aspx
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone. fc how'd you find that?
ski holidays
Use the force wink
I've had it in my Fav's for some time.
I'm a great believer in Mental Preparation
snowHead
latest report
abd, have you booked your L2??
snow report
kitenski, not yet, but pretty much decided to give it a crack in Chatel with Bass at the end of March. Going to use the the IoS course in Meribel at the beginning of Dec to get a good handle on where I am relative to the standards and what my 2 other training weeks need to concentrate on.

Have you booked the resit yet?
latest report
abd, nope, still only 1 person booked on the resit, so I'm hoping to wait until after my Jan trip before booking..............
snow report
If there aren't any more, why don't you join me in Chatel?
snow report
abd, cos it's 2 weeks vs 1 week resit! I'm sure it will go ahead.
ski holidays
Quote:

Definitely said it was required when I did mine. For L3 Tech too, but never even took it up the hill on either.

To be fair, the advice from the trainers at the start of both courses was that "if it dumps, we will go ride powder, so you'll need the kit, but we'll let you know the day before".
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy