Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train to Alps - how easy is it (not snow train, eurostar then TGV)

Poster: A snowHead
Got a fairly broad / rough question - how easy is the train journey from london to the alps? Not on the snow train, the snow train only runs Fridays and Saturdays, I am looking at a short break from Thursday to Tuesday. Its possible to get eurostar to Paris and then change to Gare du Lyon and get another train to the alps.

Questions are as follow:

1 - If im travelling light and hire equipment in resort, is the journey across Paris from 1 station to another ok with lightish luggage?
2 - In general how easy is this journey? Is it an uncormftable crowded ride with no likelehood of sleep or rest or is it fairly easy and comfortable?
3 - Which is the closest decent sized resort to an alps train terminus that is an easy bus ride away? Dont want a 30 minutes taxi ride from station costing me 80 euros or something at that end (im a poor intermediate looking for greens, blues and easy reds by the way)

You may be thinking that it would be much easier to fly, yes probably, however expensive. Ok you can get flights to Geneva for £90 return but I have looked around for transfers to resorts and they seem to come in at another 300 euros at best! The train will cost less than £200 and take me to the foot of the mountain, im not bothered about spending a day or night on the train if it will save money, also I considered a bus all the way but ruled that out for lack of comfort reasons.

Finally, i know this is a long shot, but i would really like to do the same thing to Austria, possibly a train all the way to Salzburg and then onto Kitzbuhel, or to Munich and then onto a resort. Has anyone atteempted that? Looked into it and it seems a bit of a nightmare with several changes and lots of waiting for trains.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For the Austrian ones, prolly want to need to check out City Night Line, or similar.

And in Austria, there are several resorts where the station is IN the resort. St. Anton, Zillertal, Kitzbühel, Schladming, (Bad)Hofgastein, Ski Welt, ...

2 changes is definitely possible (eg Brussels+Frankfurt, or Paris+Zurich, etc.)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
journey across Paris > easy. I do it in under 30 minutes most times

how easy > Day trains - Booked seat to Paris, then same on TGV to Chambery. Local train from Chambery usually more than half empty.
Overnight trains from Paris - not for me any more. Seats or couchette - not too bad.

Resort choice - by far the easiest is Arc1600 which is a funicular ride from Bourg station. All the other Tarentaise resorts are possible - in theory- using the coach transfers but I would not want to chance it if relying on a connection. The point is that all the coach schedules are set up for the Saturday influx from the rest of France. Thursdays & Tuesdays have limited schedules and the local train from Chambery is a bit delay prone.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CHeers, just may have also answered my own question, can get train ticket direct from Paris to St Gervais for 30 euros! Plus trains travel overnight, so could leave London at about 5 or 6pm and be in resort by 9am! Bonus.
Seems like St Gevais and as you say Arc1600 may be very good choices for direct trains from paris with no transfer at the other end.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have done it, with a wheely bag and a ski bag with 2 pairs of skis in. I was on my own, as we had an additional bod join our half term party a few years ago, so someone had to go by train as no flights available. It was thought best that an adult rather than a 16 year old cross Paris from the Gare du Nord to the Gare de Lyon.
I had 40 minutes to make the connection. I made it with seconds to spare. The station concourses are Multi layered and huge. Suss out the route to and from the metro, including which line you need, and the mainline platforms before you go (this I did). You have to buy a metro ticket. (A queue as I recall). The metro trains do not run every minute or 2, so if you miss one the clock really does start ticking-it was 10 mins for me till the next.
The signage in the Gare du Lyon is pants (I speak and read French reasonably). Having struggled through ticket barriers, got the ski bag stuck (this was all rather like hilarious in retrospect), run up,and down some stairs and escalators, I despaired and decided I had missed my train to Moutiers. I flung myself up one last staircase only to see the words Bourg St Maurice on a sign above a platform with a train about to depart. I threw my sweaty panting self and my bags into the first available carriage and the doors closed.
The moral of the story is...just make sure you have a good idea where you are going in each station, and hope that your connection is more than 40 mins after you arrive. Once aboard though- and with my dignity restored it was a very nice way to travel Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just (within last 15 mins) booked 5 tickets for a Friday night across Paris to couchettes, then each of the participants returning variously (again overnight) on the Tues, Wednesday and Friday.

Going to Les Arcs... again.

we love the flexibility the train gives.

Perty is right tho - and some of the on line ticket sites do say when looking at 'close' connections: " only use this option is you know your route across Paris" !

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 14-11-13 20:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For normal changeover days the French trains to the Alps are from Gare d'Austerlitz but I think other days they may be (or were a couple of years ago) from Gare de Lyon, as you say. It is very easy by metro - line 5, in the Place d'Italie direction (that is what is sign-posted) - or Bobigny direction on the return. About 8 stops I think. To Gare de Lyon it is line D but on the RER lines, not the metro, though the entry from the mainline station is the same. Only 2 (longer) stops but watch out for the quick closing of the doors when you get off - you need to be ready by the doors. You can buy a packet of metro/RER tickets at St Pancras Station while you wait for your Eurostar which saves hassle in Paris.

Buy tickets for EUROSTAR when they become available 120 days before travel and there are tickets nearly half price. Similarly for the French trains if you buy them when they become available 90 days before travel. The overnight train maximises your skiing for the number of nights in resort.

I find sleeping on the couchettes no problem except if you are in the top bunk with French people who don't want any ventilation it can be hot. The night train is not a TGV (it would get there too quickly for you to get a night on the train). Since Bourg St Maurice for Les Arcs is the last stop you just get off at the end of the journey - no hassle. There is a foot bridge from the station to the cog railway to Les Arcs 1600 - so don't go out the station and trudge round the long way on the roads.

Of course there are buses to Tignes and Val d'Isere which will get you there in time for the lifts opening (and taking you back in the evening of your last day) but it does take most of an hour. And Les Arcs has some good runs, including good blues and reds and a number of good blacks in the Arc 2000 valley (and don't miss the long Villaroger run from the Aiguille Rouge). In a white-out the tree runs above Peisy are useful. Also (if you hire a guide) there is some good, though mostly not obvious off-piste, including some quite extreme couloirs off the back of the Aiguille Rouge,

or see this pic: right in the middle of the ski area but hard to find the access (that is the Arc2000 access road). Don't worry, there is easy stuff too.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I looked at getting to Austria on the train before. It was Eurostar to Paris, night train to Munich and then take your pick from there. Ski Amade, Zillertal, St Anton ... It wasn't cheap but sounded much more civilised than flying and took you straight to the door!

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm another fan of the train. To answer your specific questions:

1) Journey across Paris is straightforward, especially on the RER rather than metro as it has few stops. I usually allow an hour but it's never taken that long. I've done it with luggage including skis, and children, and various times of day and night and while the Paris underground is not exactly pleasant I wouldn't describe it as hard. I always get the metro tickets in advance (you can buy them on the eurostar) to avoid that queue, and if it's your first time make a note of which line and stations you want, and which station is at the end of that line in that direction as that is how the platforms are normally marked.

2) The train is pretty civilised. The bar can get lively on the direct Eurostar but the change-in-Paris trains seem to be more subdued. It's often only a few Euro more to upgrade to 1st class on the French train. If taking an overnight train make sure it's a sleeper with couchettes - I've never had a problem getting a reasonable night of sleep there.

3) The resorts most often visited by train are probably the Tarentaise ones - 3 valleys, Paradiski, Espace Killy, etc. but many more are doable. All of those destinations you'll be able to get a bus to the resort for around 10-15 euro (or in the case of Les Arcs, a funicular for free)

For practical advice, http://seat61.com and http://snowcarbon.co.uk are very handy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kieranm,
Quote:
(or in the case of Les Arcs, a funicular for free)

Only if part of a ski pass valid for the day of travel - if you arrive other than on the overnight and are not skiing that day it's €7, as is coming down on a no skiing day e.g. for the Saturday morning train).

Problem we've found with upgrading to 1st class couchettes this year, is if you book a London to Bourg ticket, they expect you to go Premier on the Eurostar bit. And that does bump the prices considerably. But yes if you book as separate journeys, you may get a much better deal ( or maybe upgrade the couchettes on the way back at the station - has anyone done that? )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have travelled to St Anton and back on the train from Ashford. It was easy and civilized. I took the train to Paris North ( I think ) then a quick walk to Paris East. I then took the train to Zurich, then a train right into St Anton. Then walk or taxi to your accommodation. I have also travelled to Val D'isere, Tignes, La Plagne, and Les Arcs using the train. Transfers are very easy, cheap and simple to all of these resorts.

Check out for www.bahn.de for brilliant timetables and route planning across the whole of europe.

I hope this helps.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello Doctor. No time to read through all the replies so probably repeating stuff but it's pretty easy (and a fun challenge) to get across Paris with light-ish luggage. I done it last year on a ski trip to the Pyrenees. Felt like a real adventure.

Did you know there's a map that shows all the train lines in the Alps and how they connect with ski resorts?
The SkiRail Map of the Alps.
More info here http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
and here https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ski-Resort-Rail-Map-of-the-Alps/121654824694555?fref=ts
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for the RER within Paris. Less stops means less crowds swarming on and off around you (not a big deal if you're travelling light, of course). We did this (GdN to GdL) a few weekends ago and the only thing to note is that there are/were engineering works on the network, so our RER train was running from a different platform than expected. Again, not a big drama once we'd figured it out, just be careful to follow the screens rather than the painted signage and you'll be fine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of our guests do it (we do Sunday changeovers so no snowtrain) and it all works really smoothly. I won't repeat other people's comments but a couple of bits of advice:

- it's worth treating the journey as part of the holiday. If you've got light luggage why not book a slightly earlier eurostar and then have dinner in Paris before getting the overnight train? Or do a morning and then afternoon train with a few hours in the middle for lunch and a stroll?

- If you're travelling as a group a taxi across Paris is as cheap as 4 metro tickets and makes stuff easier with the luggage

- If you can't get into your accom when you arrive in resort there is left luggage at the train station in Bourg St Maurice and skiing in Les Arcs from the funiculair - then travel up to your resort after skiing.

- Ask the company you book accom with if they can pick you up from the station. Most tour operators for La Rosiere/Les Arcs/Tignes/Val/ Ste For/ La Plagne/3 valleys etc will do this free of charge from the nearest station.

Happy planning!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks so much for all the fantastic information. Much les daunted by the prospect now, in fact it sounds like a very civilised and convenient way to get to the alps. Deffinately considering it for maybe this season (might be a bit late to get the best deals for January now) but will certainlty do this next season now, once I have had time to do proper research and cost it. Somre great links for information to store up for the future here, cheers!
snow conditions
Drhosking, I've never done the train to the Alps but have done train to other distant parts of France, with baby paraphenalia, children, and masses of luggage in tow. It was fine - I have no traumatic memories of it :LOL: . We're doing it again this year to the snow and I'm expecting it to be less hassle than flying or driving. HOpefully.....
latest report
We did this a couple of years ago - the train from London all the way to Chamonix. It took us all day but was really good fun. Like other's have already posted on this thread, change in Paris (we used the metro) then another train to - good grief I can't remember the name of the station. We changed there and got another smaller train to Chamonix. I got so excited about the whole trip I accidentally booked it for a day earlier than intended! It wasn't a problem, we just stayed a night in Chamonix before meeting up for a huge family Christmas in a massive chalet. Great fun although I did discover I don't like skiing (it was my second try). I love my husband though so we are going to Levi in Finland for New Year and some skiing (hopefully) for him. And who knows, I might even try again. (It's why I ended up on Snowheads, trying to find out a bit more about the resort.)
snow report
My thoughts on taking the train. Very, very underrated method of getting to the Alps.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88330&highlight=
ski holidays
Alizoo, skiing trip experiences can be so very different it may not be worth deciding you don`t like skiing just yet. I know a distant relative of mine had given up skiing on holidays with her husband as after several trips she decided she did not like it then many years later gave it another go and found that in some circumstances she rather enjoyed it!
ski holidays
Well I'm starting to think I might give it a go again in Levi! Less crowded maybe, and um...flatter! I tried in New Zealand for one day and loved it about 12 years ago, then again in Chamonix...I sort of decided I didn't like going fast down mountains on skis. Maybe I just got old Shocked
snow report
DRHOSKING wrote:
Ok you can get flights to Geneva for £90 return but I have looked around for transfers to resorts and they seem to come in at another 300 euros at best!

Huh? Bus Geneva to Tignes/Val d'Isere, for example, is around €50 one-way as I recall.
snow report
Quote:

And who knows, I might even try again

Quote:

skiing trip experiences can be so very different it may not be worth deciding you don`t like skiing just yet.

Indeed. Chamonix is probably not the best choice for a beginner skier in a big family party.
snow report
Alizoo, I would suggest that if you loved it once you would again in the right circumstances. I don`t think it has much to do with age and I agree with Pam that Chamonix may not have been the best resort for you. Give it another go, I long ago decided to only ski when the conditions suit me. I never buy a whole weeks pass as it works out cheaper to buy passes when I want them, usually half days on lovely sunny days just after fresh snow fall.
snow conditions
DRHOSKING wrote:
CHeers, just may have also answered my own question, can get train ticket direct from Paris to St Gervais for 30 euros! Plus trains travel overnight, so could leave London at about 5 or 6pm and be in resort by 9am! Bonus.
Seems like St Gevais and as you say Arc1600 may be very good choices for direct trains from paris with no transfer at the other end.

I have looked into this, as I never knew you could get a train all the way to St Gervais from Paris, however, whilst it says you need to change once in 'Bellegarde', where is the station in St Gervais????

Is this route taking into account that you need to get the TMB for the final leg??? I hope I am not being stupid but I didn't realise there was a train station up in Saint Gervais, apart from the TMB..???
snow report
Dont know the are but according to the rail Europe site there is a direct train from PARIS AUSTERLITZ to ST GERVAIS LES BAINS, cant say where the station is as I have not been there!
latest report
DRHOSKING, Not sure if you have booked yet but my thoughts were right in that the train stops at St Gervais - La Fayet.. From here you will need to grab the TMB (Tramway du Mont Blanc) up to St Gervais… Got this form Wiki…

'Saint-Gervais-les-Bains-Le Fayet is a railway station serving the town Saint-Gervais-les-Bains, Haute-Savoie department, southeastern France. It is the southeastern terminus of the railway from La Roche-sur-Foron, the southwestern terminus of the Saint-Gervais–Vallorcine railway and the western terminus of the Mont Blanc Tramway.'

Not sure if the ticket includes the TMB, be def worth checking out as I know the TMB is not cheap… found this timetable and rates for you… €30 return….

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/site-overview/tramway-du-mont-blanc/timetables
latest report
Have a look at www.snowcarbon.co.uk for some good advice and example journeys for getting from the UK to several European resorts. We did St Pancras to La Tania with an early Eurostar followed by TGV a few years back and it was a real pleasure. The connection in Paris is definitely worth researching in advance and I recall a sweaty sprint following ticket queues, but the rest of the journey more than made up for it.

The overnight bolt-upright-sat-next-to-wide-elbow-man-Eurostar direct to London on the way back was a significantly less pleasurable experience Sad
ski holidays
Damn, the French have broken their own system and made a whole bunch of tickets available till mid March. They did it while I was away for a long weekend and I'm now having to pay the full fare when I go away for the first week of March. There was no warning they were going to do this - they were sticking to the normal system a week ago. Damn, Damn, Damn!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, thank you so much for pointing out you can get French train tickets earlier than the usual 90 days.
(sorry you got stung - I wanted tickets for a Monday (February 24) so managed to get usual cheapest fare)
It seems you can get tickets right into March - more like the Eurostar window of 120 days.
It is worth knowing that for weekend trains, the Eurostar site often has good deals for journeys apart from their direct Ski Train.
I just got a first class fare to Aime La Plagne of £120 for Friday March 14. If i'd booked the same journey as 2nd class Eurostar and 1st class French train separately, it would have cost £140. The first class Eurostar fare alone is £107.
It seems you can only use this for booking Eurostars that connect to direct trains from Paris - so not for journeys that involve a change at Chambery

DRHOSKING, you've had some excellent answers already to your questions. I echo much of what's been posted.
1. The journey across Paris is no problem. No worse than getting from London Waterloo to St Pancras. In fact easier, as you don't have to change lines. If anxious: take a taxi
It is worth making sure you are at the front of the Eurostar to get early in the taxi queue at Gare du Nord.
Day trains to Tarentiaise go from Gare de Lyon: 2 stations down the RER D.
The night train with couchettes (bunks) goes out from Gare Austerlitz: 9 stations down Metro line 5 to Place d'Italie.
I've done both journeys with skis, large wheelie bag and backpack.
Be warned it is often difficult to find a working escalator at French stations.
2. BOOK EARLY. Like Easyjet: the prices start low and rapidly rise. Get in early and Eurostar is £39 and French train £41 2nd class, £61 first class.
French day trains are quite comfortable - Worth paying the extra for first class if you can stretch to it: more space and usually power point for your laptop.
Night train: go for couchettes. 2nd class 6 berth compartments if you are used to roughing it. Go for 1st class 4 berth compartments if prefer a bit of comfort.
3. snowball suggests Les Arcs - true the Funicular is relatively quick up the mountain, but the trek from Bourg Station to the bottom of the funicular involves a long walk, a footbridge, and is a real drag. instead I offer La Plagne: there is a bus to meet every train waiting just outside the station, and you are up in the resort in 30-40 minutes (see http://www.autocars-berard.com/).
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
the Funicular is relatively quick up the mountain, but the trek from Bourg Station to the bottom of the funicular involves a long walk, a footbridge, and is a real drag. instead I offer La Plagne: there is a bus to meet every train waiting just outside the station, and you are up in the resort in 30-40 minutes (see http://www.autocars-berard.com/).

This http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/les-arcs/les-arcs-transfer-guide is about the Funicular. The entrance to the funicular is by a footbridge at the far end of the main station platform.
La Plagne has mostly very gentle skiing but also a lot of off piste. Les Arcs might suit better if you want more variety of challenge.
ski holidays
Have just this very minute booked train from London to Zurich for half term week....and from there, somewhere as yet undecided. Hugely cheaper than flying, but it remains to be seen whether it's fun with two very small children and several large bags Laughing Laughing
latest report
Always wanted to do the whole 'train' thing, but I think it only really saves money if you live close to, or in London… I would have to travel up from Bournemouth, then get across town to Kings Cross before I'd even start… Making it a ball-ache from the off...
latest report
Yes I think you're probably right, Alpine Addict. It only was an option for us because we live in London fringes and it's not to difficult to get to KC.
ski holidays
AlpineAddict, i too think you are correct.
Like robertsnerys, I live in London, so getting to St Pancras is same as my usual work commute.

robertsnerys, well done in getting such a good deal.
Whether the train is usually cheaper is controversial.
It all depends how you calculate is, and what you take into account: car park costs, baggage and ski stuff on the plane, transfer costs.
Flying is usually quicker, but it does involve an awful lot of hanging around going nowhere.
I just prefer the whole experience of train travel: more space, less waiting around, and seeing the countryside going past.
Or, if you are taking the night train: gaining that extra day's skiing.
latest report
I don't live in London (takes me 2 trains into KC) but have done the train twice, and would do again in the future. Door-to-door journey time is comparable to flying but like Jonpim says, there's a lot of hanging around going nowhere with airports.
Just make sure you've got enough hands to manage your luggage without having to keep dropping & picking stuff up to press buttons/open doors etc.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, good point about the hands. I did it with a large rucksack which made life much easier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy