Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain motoring tips ... by 'Boggart' of Natives

Poster: A snowHead
'Boggart' has lovingly cared for his motor, driving it up and down Alpine roads, for 20 years.

Here are his tips for carefree winter driving in the mountains ... on the Natives.co.uk site.
Quote:
Spray WD40 on all the moving parts of the door locks and down the keyholes, smear Vaseline on all the rubber door seals and do so every month. If you use your car on a daily basis the driver’s door is unlikely to freeze shut but the other doors and the boot can do if used infrequently, as can the driver’s door if only using the car occasionally. If the door does freeze shut do not try to force it open as you will more likely than not tear the sealing rubber round the door.

Edit / N.B: veeeight has a comment on the above quote (re. use of Vaseline) below

Comments? Anything to add?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-11-05 17:44; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bog Art (who has been known to post here) has written a most conclusive piece and other Native's have added to it in their own style. It is a very sensible, covering virtually every question and a few other's to !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now then boys. You should all know that Oils, greases and solvents destroy latex rubber - so Vaseline on rubber door seals is not a good idea!

Use silicone grease instead.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whats the freezing point of Astroglide? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa, I dread to think what your Internet Browser history page looks like Razz
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Natives have now posted 'part two' of Boggart's article on their site, covering batteries, shovels, insurance etc.:
http://www.natives.co.uk/action/list.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=39&listitemid=615&

Any comments or points concerning 'part two'?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's a great link, thanks. Some food for thought there. I must find out more about disabling ABS brakes - I did have problems with mine last year. It turned out that the system was actually fine but after a difficult drive, with snow tyres AND chains, the warning light went berserk and it wasted some time and money sorting it out. I am resolutely non-technical - would welcome comments and advice from more knowledgeable people on this. Loads of other good advice too - my driver's door has frozen overnight quite often, usually after a warmish day with melt water, will try the silicone grease.

I wish the idiots who drive around with cars covered in snow and a tiny window peephole would read this. I have seen police pull cars over for clearing more than once, but they can't be everywhere.

If you keep the petrol tank quite full, I suppose it would be OK to run engine for more than ten minutes an hour, to keep warm, provided exhaust is free?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When the ABS starts working the brake pedal will judder under your foot. A wet stretch of road where it is safe to brake hard (e.g. a large empty carpark) is a good testing ground to experience how ABS feels. Driving assistant electronics like traction contol, ESP, ABS etc often have warning lights to let you know they are functioning - look at your car's manual so you know what each light means. (and know when to take it into the workshop garage or not).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would be relcutent to turn of abs if you have it. Driving on sheet ice is always hard and I would trust the computers to find traction better than me.

On some surfaces skidding a bit may dig your wheels down to a more grippy level, but I would not be so sure that happens all the time.

There is some research online, but ... trust at your own will!
http://www.veta.se/abs66ice.htm
Quote:
Superior control with ABS
Though the test track was straight and wide like a normal lane, the car ran off the 'road' in 94 of 706 tests without ABS.
With ABS in function, only one driver failed once to remain on the road (1of 707tests).
ABS and braking performance
The average deceleration was greater with ABS than without for all 24combinations of tyres and road surfaces.
However, many individual tests on the A-track resulted in greater deceleration when wheels were locked-up digging themselves down in the loose snow to a level with greater adhesion.
A short braking distance is not always favourable, though, when the car has left its lane.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lets remind ourselves:

The primary function of ABS in NOT to provide shorter braking distances, it is to provide the ability to STEER (around obstacles etc.) whilst the vehicle is under heavy braking. It does this by preventing the wheels locking up completely.

Under a FEW conditions in a STRAIGHT line, locked wheels WILL stop in a shorted distance than if you have ABS (eg; deep snow and mud) HOWEVER you will have sacrificed any ability to steer around obstacles.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight wrote:
Lets remind ourselves:

The primary function of ABS in NOT to provide shorter braking distances, it is to provide the ability to STEER (around obstacles etc.) whilst the vehicle is under heavy braking. It does this by preventing the wheels locking up completely.

Under a FEW conditions in a STRAIGHT line, locked wheels WILL stop in a shorted distance than if you have ABS (eg; deep snow and mud) HOWEVER you will have sacrificed any ability to steer around obstacles.

very true.. but how many people ever steer in an emergency.. isnt usually a case of stamp on brakes grab steering wheel extra hard and grit teeth whilst squinting.. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My handbook advises that with snowchains ON
ABS is ON
but
Traction control and dynamic stability control should be OFF!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my case, I was driving very cautiously down a (not terribly) steep hill, in quite a bit of ice and snow, with chains on the snow tyres (after an early 180 skid, despite not braking and taking a corner at v slow speed). The ABS did indeed judder, and initially the noise worried me, but when I worked out what was happening, it was OK. We got home. However, the brake warning light subsequently stayed on and the handbook was clear that this meant take car to Toyota dealer immediately (not the easiest thing in the world in a small ski resort in heavy snow and the local garage confirmed it would need to go to Toyota). The Toyota dealer in Chambery fixed it and said the system had been fine, but the warning light was malfunctioning.

I don't think the ABS had ever done anything before - I am not the kind of driver who steers heavily on wet and slippery surfaces! But if the system struggles with these kind of conditions, and if the malfunctioning warning light was related in anyway to this, it is something I would wish to avoid. It was expensive and inconvenient. and worrying.

I wouldn't ever "stamp on brakes" in these conditions and had avoided braking entirely up to that point, when the downhill gradient meant I picked up more speed than I wanted, despite being in 2nd gear. I had been quite pleased with myself on the early 180 skid (on a slight uphill gradient where I needed to take a left turn) when I did not touch the brakes at all, steered into it gently, held my breath and stayed on the road, albeit pointing in the opposite direction from where I wanted to go. The drive was tricky and I was glad to arrive without denting the car or myself, but as we were desperate for snow at the time even stopping in the blizzard to put on the chains had a curious pleasure about it.

Does anyone know of any skidpan driving courses available in the UK, by the way? It would be a good thing to do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.combe-events.co.uk/index.html I did the skid pan course here. Great fun. The most instructive driving course I have had. They teach you to try and steer whislt you are skidding around bollards (try to imagine each one represents a small child Shocked ), makes you think....

They teach intermittent breaking (?cadence) so you can steer which I guess is what ABS does. I think ABS should judder when it activates (the brakes coming on and off).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, like you, my car handbook says the 'ESP' should be switched off when chains are fitted. I didn't read that before trying it Embarassed and spent quite a while trying to work out why the car was simply refusing to go anywhere. Problem disappeared as soon as I pressed the magic button. Very Happy
snow report
If you contact your local group of the Institute of Advanced Motorists:
http://www.iam.org.uk/
They should be able to set something up for you.
snow conditions
dont the cheaper mechanical systems judder? i thought the new four wheel super duper stuff from germany just made the brake pedal pulse a bit..?
ski holidays
I did the skidpan course at Knockhill a few years ago - very interesting and useful - well worth the money. One point made to us by the instructors when useing ABS is don't hesitate on stamping the pedal . Use full force - when the wheel has traction you want it to try and stop the car as hard as poss, the ABS system should take care of the rest. As someone who learn't to drive in the snow pre ABS and was used to gingerly cadence braking this was a surprise to me , but we were shown by the instructors what happens ( you hit the cone( or child as we thought of it by then) )
ski holidays
pam w, there used to be a skidpad course up at Goodwood, don't know if it still there but would be v convenient for you (I live in Fareham).
snow report
Lincs police do a free skidpan course for new drivers, runs doing the summer nights I think.
ski holidays
Quote:
ABS is ON
but

You guys with this reccomendation - What car, make & model? 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Thanks

(the reson behind asking is trying to establish if it's a 4 channed ABS system in which case there should be no need to disengage ESP)
latest report
Nick L, thanks very much. Much encouraged by the positive comments above about the value of skid tuition I have just booked for a course at Goodwood on 22 December. Just up the road, and they do a 90 minute course for 2 people with an instructor, so husband and I will both do it. The instructor said, by the way, that if conditions were icy they would need to defrost the skid pan before it would work properly... Like comments in another thread about ski lessons on dry slopes being cancelled because of snow.
snow report
I wish they'd make skid pan training an integral part of the UK driving test - its one of the most useful things to learn I think, infact everytime it snows I head off to a local carpark to learn what the car does. Nothing worse that finding out on a snowy road with a drop.

Its amazing how each car compares, heavy family cars are often the worst, fatter tyres, more engine weight etc gives them a mind of their own with summer tyres, especially on a banked downhill corner - gravity can take over Shocked Laughing

Also, if it rains and then slowly turns to snow - check your wheel arches periodically - i was caught out a few years back between St Gervais and Megeve when the rear wheel arches suddenly packed out with snow with effectivly the same impact as pulling the handbrake! we locked up mid bend - thankfully I steered out of the problem but i could just as easily been 50ft down a bank!

I was always told that ABS should be cancelled in snow and my car (audi S2) is old enough to have a cancel button but over time maybe this advise has changed.
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Quote:
ABS is ON
but

You guys with this reccomendation - What car, make & model? 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Thanks

(the reson behind asking is trying to establish if it's a 4 channed ABS system in which case there should be no need to disengage ESP)

Jaguar x type 3.0 AWD

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 22-11-05 15:46; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
If you are interested Thruxton race circuit in Hampshire between Andover and Amesbury on the A303 has a skidpan and other activities on offer Details here http://www.thruxtonracing.co.uk/
ski holidays
also as WTFH mentioned AIM, Thruxton skidpan details here http://www.iam.org.uk/Links/skidcontrol.php
snow report
Quote:

Jaguar x type 3.0 AWD

Ah yes.

The reason being that most folk will fit 2 wheels with chains out of the 4, and the electronics can't cope with the differential in grip - so best to switch it off!

Plus when driving with chains it is sometimes beneficial to have wheelspin (grinding effect) when powering out of deep snow - disabling the TCS will let this happen.
snow conditions
When driving in Austria you need to buy a toll sticker called a "vignette" ( pic here, different colour each year http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/pages/resshp/anwendg/1056862.html ) and it is now a legal requirement to have your lights switched on at all times while driving (came into effect last week).

Vignette prices

"Toll fees:
Yearly Sticker:
Passenger Car: € 72,60
Motorcycles: € 29,00

2-Month-Sticker:
Passenger Car: € 21,80
Motorcycles: € 10,90

10-day-Sticker:
Passenger Car: € 7,60
Motorcycles: € 4,30"

http://cms1.austria.info/xxl/_site/en/_area/408021/_subArea/412086/_subArea2/408195/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
'Boggart' has lovingly cared for his motor, driving it up and down Alpine roads, for 20 years.

Comments? Anything to add?

Yes his information on snow tires for France is incorrect. See other SnowHeads thread:-

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=202241#202241
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy