Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Day Rucksacks

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Looking for a rucksack for day trip use. No extreme backcountry just occasional off piste / touring but will mostly use on piste.

Needs to be able to carry avalanche equipment, a little bit of food for lunch, extra layer and then just phone/money etc.

Am currently looking at Ortovox Power Rider 18, North Face Chugach 18 and some osprey ones. Does anyone have any experience of these / similar bags or particularly recommend any other bags of a similar size?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not to push what I am selling but have you heard of the Osprey Kode backpack series, they are quite good bags.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104131
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ski with the Ortovox Free rider 26 ( need along torso size ) - 18 size would also be good . Cinches in quite well when not full. I did try the Osprey in store - at least as comfy - at the price above I d be keen ( no connection either !)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like the Osprey Kode series, although I actually ended up with a Haglofs Mountain Surf which does the job well, although I don't think it's a current model any more.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mishmash,

I just posted on the other backpack thread, is the Freerider 26 a good backpack for a bigger bloke? I'm 6'3 with a 49* chest - many "normal" backpacks just don't feel right.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
x -post. I' m 6'1 with 43-44 chest - look also at the new EVOC FR range which goes in XL for tall peeps. I would suggest you try physically in that case. The Evoc stuff isn't very well distributed so maybe look at their Bike wear which I suspect sizes the same. They have only just begun to push Ski rucksacks, but I have a boot bag of theirs and its bang on.

Ski 47 in Fulham have a few Ortovox on the shelf, or Snow Shepherd through here should be able to advise. These newer back protector bags are much more fitted than previously so feel very right when they are sized properly in my experience.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
extremerob wrote:
Not to push what I am selling but have you heard of the Osprey Kode backpack series, they are quite good bags.

Hi Rob, like the osprey bags and the kode In particular but think it might be on the big side for what I need
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use the Osprey Kode 22. A great pack. It's very comfortable and really well designed for space. The strap insulation for the hydration pack works really well and I've never had a problem with it freezing up. I also use the pack for mountain biking and it's equally good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mishmash,

We've got a bike shop in town that sells some Evoc stuff. I'll ask if they can get some backpacks in Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got a Dakine Heli Pro 20l as a day pack and it perfect for what I need, room for all the ski clobber with enough spare for camera and bits and bobs.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davkt,

How big are you?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CharLisht wrote:
extremerob wrote:

Hi Rob, like the osprey bags and the kode In particular but think it might be on the big side for what I need

I have a Dakine Heli pro 20l and the bag feels alot bigger than the Osprey. The osprey have a narrow long profile thats quite thin. Once I get my Ava-gear into the front pocket a sandiwch a bottle of water, fleece and lowlight goggles+ sunglassesin, the bag seems full although I can get more in if i wanted.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musher, 5ft9 with 41" ish chest size, it'd certainly be good for someone bigger than me as well as I've got the straps pretty close to their shortest.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am also very pleased with my Dakine 20l Heli Pro. (5'9, 42" chest). the ability to strap skis or a board onto it when walking out of a back country ride is very handy, and it has plenty of room for avalanche kit, spare layer, chocolate etc. It has space for a hydration pack and an insulated sleeve for the tube, but I have never used it for this.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Five years later and I am still very pleased with my Dakine Heli-pro. Expensive but tough as old boots and very comfortable to wear.
snow report
I have heard some reports of the dakine not being well made and handles etc falling off? Don't know if this was just one or two bad cases

And rob, the helip pro feels bigger than the osprey?
snow report
Also, Ade57, extremerob, aparently the Osprey has excessive straps on the back that tend to then dangle and get in the way? Have you had much/any experience of this?
latest report
I am a rucksack addict, I have a heli pro which I love and actually used it today in the lakes, it takes a DSLR and I would recommend it. I also have a BCA pac which is the smallest bag you can get that takes all the kit which is great but not big enough for touring.
snow report
I've had a Dakine heli pro 20L and Osprey kode 32L. Heli Pro is cheaper and Osprey is better; as a dedicated skiing bag I'm not sure you can beat the Osprey. I still have and love my heli pro but don't use it for skiing any more.
ski holidays
I've not used the Heli Pro, but can say that my Osprey Kode 22L has served me very well over the last two seasons. Just enough space for everything needed for a day in the back country, and straps that can carry 123mm waisted skis for boot packing. Can't fault it really. And I've not had the problem of the straps getting caught on chairlifts or anything elseyet, although there are quite a few loose. Smile
snow report
My Dakine Heli pro has been fine and seems very durable. Padded back is excellent, some straps a bit long but you can cut them to your size or tie them up.
ski holidays
Deuter Free Ride is superb, but very pricey. Ortovox Freerider or Osprey are excellent. I use an Osprey Strato 24.
ski holidays
Anyone got any experience / advice of the Ortovox Powder Rider 18?
snow report
I use my old Nike school rucksack from nearly 20 years ago, it holds stuff, all the stuff I need and all the stuff you mentioned.

Id just save my money if I were you and buy any old rucksack that isnt too flimsy rather than folk out over the odds for some fancy name skiing rucksack.
ski holidays
I have a Petzl bag which is around 20L, I bought it to use cycling to uni everyday, but it's perfect for skiing. Made from heavy fabric, one big heavy duty zip, and straps to squash it flat when it's empty. Nice and simple, nothing to go wrong, built like a brick sh*thouse. Works for me... it was also cheap (compared to flashy ski bags).

EDIT: Here's a link to the first one I found on google: http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/petzl-bug-p-114.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 21-11-13 17:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
After much deliberation, looking at all the nice expensive ones I've just bought one from Decathlon, it's great for the money, it doesn't have pockets on its waist strap, it's goggle pouch isn't fur lined and it doesn't cost the earth, but it's a lovely bright orange colour! It's hydration compatible, got space for shovel and probe, ski/board carry and enough space for lunch, extra layers and everything else one should like to carry. Bargain!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy