Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Downhill circus?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering what effect the downhill race circus has on resorts please?

We are considering wengen in January but gave noted that the weekend we would arrive is also the same weekend of the men's downhill, should it be avoided at all costs or do the downhill events have little effect on the resort overall?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NE1, Chances of a slight increase in prices for accomidation, the downhill piste will be closed. The areas around it and the town busier than normal. A lot of areas of piste near it become spectator spots. One Lift may be closed for a period in the AM to facilitate racers, crew and teams gettig up the hill but that is rare.

On the upside, incredible atmosphere, a chance to see a donwhill race in the flesh, You have non concept of how amazing it is untill you have seen it for real! The athletes can be quite accesiable around the village and at the bib draw. Really is a good weekend to be in a ski town.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1. The effect is minimal, in fact ski slopes are generally quieter, with a big plus for the additional atmosphere and excitement.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NE1, I've been going to Wengen quite a few years now, and last year I decided to go on the Lauberhorn race weekend, just to see what the atmosphere was like in town. As I was travelling on the Saturday I didn't actually get into resort in time to see the Downhill race, but I was able to see all the post race festivities in town and then on the Sunday morning I was able to get to watch the Slalom race (you actually get to see a bit longer duration with the slalom skiers from the side of the track, with the downhillers blink and you've missed it! Laughing )

Arriving in Lauterbrunnen mid afternoon on the Saturday however I did find that the train up to Wengen took longer than usual as it had to stop in various places to allow downhill trains to pass as many people were by then leaving Wengen after the downhill race had finished.

I posted some photos of the post race festivities on the Saturday evening in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2084118&highlight=lauberhorn+downhill#2084118

Some snaps from the Sunday slalom race in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1953178&highlight=remote+controlled+flying++camera#1953178
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't comment on Wengen but we were in Tignes/VDI a couple of years ago when men and women races were on. Face and Olympic pistes were closed which was a bummer but everything else was open and it means I'll have to go back to VDI to ski those pistes Happy. VDI was quite busy but we found a spot for lunch where we could see the finish stretch of the men's race. Great atmosphere around the whole place.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NE1, I would definitely consider going, I was in Kitzbuhel a few years ago the same week as the World Cup race and the atmosphere was great! Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Being in Kitzbuhel the week of the DH is mental. The whole town is alive like no other week. The race day itself is like nothing we experience in this country. So nice to see all nationalities getting on and partying together. Even if the Swiss try to wind up the Austrians with huge trains of people weaving in and out with their huge cowbells. Can you imagine back in the UK the Germans and English partying together after one of them has just won the World Cup at footy. Yes I know all the Rugby fans will come out and say it happens in there sport, but its no where near the same. Not the same passion/rivalry as in football.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy