Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pressure you can't handle

Poster: A snowHead
Saw this on another thread and rather than interrupt there I thought I'd ask here. What does pressure that's built up in the turn and "needs" to be be released feel like? Genuine question. I guess I must do it somehow as I've yet to explode a leg/ski but as with so many things I have no idea whether it aligns to things I feel when it gets written down as a "thing".

Is is just the transition to the next turn or "stand tall" for a traverse etc releases said pressure?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On firm snow it can manifest itself as judder.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, I saw it on the other thread too and asked myself whether failure to handle the pressure was what is happening when, skiing off-piste, I find myself doing a big turn right across the slope (much bigger than I intended) and find myself still on my feet but crouched inelegantly over the skis, stationary, at the end. Laughing A position from which it's hard to get going again. I should have MTFU and started a new turn with aplomb a lot sooner. Something to do with handling the pressure, I guess. The French instructor I've had a few lessons with shouts "UP!" loudly and firmly trying to get me to put in another turn long before I feel I've recovered from the last. But left to myself I think I just chicken out. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Keep tightening the turn radius as you complete the turn and continue to keep the skis on a high edge angle... at some point, something has to give. You release the pressure in some way: straighten out the ski, release the edge, or even jump off the snow. Lots of ways to do it, but if you move gently and progressively from one turn to the next without building up a lot of force under-foot, you may not notice it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, yep, I think you've got it! "Up!" is, however, not what I would shout! "UP!" often means "towards the sky as the trees grow," and that's not the direction you want to be moving. "OUT!" might work, but better just to move back the other way once you've maxed your apex. Like a pendulum: tip-tip-tip then slow to a stop and go back the other way...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:

Yep - I've posted about this before on certain high angle hard pack I have shaken off a ski. Diagnosis - late entry and too clumsy with the edge angle thinking I can just power it round with enough on the outside ski.

Guess the positive version is that really snappy rebound on a performance ski from one turn to the next.

ssh - that's what I figured. Another one for the things to think about that make skiing far too complicated if you think about them all the time file.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob, ultimately, one can't "think" through a ski turn. It happens far too fast. That's one reason we do drills: to slow it down and isolate a skill to develop it to a higher level of competence. I think once you get an idea of how forces work and how our energy gets applied to adjust them for the sensations we most enjoy, the rest is just developing those high-level skills and playing with the ways of applying them with varying duration, intensity, rate, and timing.

Ultimately, though, it's all about the fun factor! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ssh, actually, thinking about it, he probably wasn't shouting "up" but that ubiquitous French "op" which means all sorts of things.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Yep - I've posted about this before on certain high angle hard pack I have shaken off a ski. Diagnosis - late entry and too clumsy with the edge angle thinking I can just power it round with enough on the outside ski.

A great breakthrough for me (and I speak as a self-taught punter) was realizing that I wasn't getting enough edge angle and the reason was that I was keeping my inside leg too straight (A-frame) and that was 'blocking' the outside leg/ski.

I now consciously think of actively leaning / steering my inside leg when doing high pressure turns and that has helped my a lot.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, correct me if I'm wrong, but at teh suggestion of two coaches on two occasions in the last 10 years I was told firstly I had got lazy with my angulation and more recently that I just wasn't getting the edges angles that current ski shapes required.

So really it was a case of getting the skis more on edge (and being a little smoother too...)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, as discussed in another thread, angulation certainly helps you increase your edge angle, so the two are likely aligned. However, increased edge angle will actually increase the building of the pressure. It's reducing that angle (in one way or another) that releases it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ssh, ah, yes, but I think i meant that increased angle increases the level of pressure you can handle without judder or "brutalising"
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I often feel pressure building during a turn, especially after sauerkraut and Guinness. Goretex is damned difficult stuff to fart through Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wrong membrane. Clearly need something with higher permeability.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, actually, I think you'll find less edge is often better in those cases! It's counter-intuitive, and yet it seems to work reasonably well. I would also suggest that part of the issue when you get that "juddering" is where you are applying pressure to the skis. A useful metaphor to consider is sliding crusty bread with a knife. You don't simply push it through the bread! If you do, you get a mess (the crusty equivalent of "juddering"). Instead, you slice with the knife. The more precise those slices (patient, consistent, directed), the cleaner the cut. Same with skis on harder snow.

Avalanche Poodle, Laughing Cool
snow conditions
ssh, interesting thought, the changes I made to my skiing last year also included (along with more angle) a smoother and possibly earlier transition. But the angles are definitely greater.

Possibly at a different stage of the turn?
ski holidays
ssh wrote:
under a new name, actually, I think you'll find less edge is often better in those cases!
Less edge would increase the turn radius, therefore reducing the pressure. Or you could skid a bit which would have the same effect. What you don't want to do is press harder or brace the leg which will make the problem worse. One situation when more edge angle is the best response is skiing gates - you have to make the turn and less edge angle or more skidding isn't what you want to do if you are able to create bigger angles,
ski holidays
rob@rar, and when you are making short turns to control speed in a steep couloir, increasing turn radius us also somewhat suboptimal Shocked
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
rob@rar, and when you are making short turns to control speed in a steep couloir, increasing turn radius us also somewhat suboptimal Shocked
Yup, but I think I'd be skidding my skis a lot more than edging them in those circumstances Happy
snow report
In answer to the first questions.

It feels like blooming hard work. A bit like heaving a walloping load on a squat rack or cycling up a huge hill, you know the knid where you just have to stop and get off, only you're on skis and now you're going too fast, so it's a question of horrible sideways skid braking over ruts and ice and winding up achey and out of breath or decking it.

You release it by bending your knees. Maximum flex at transition/edge change minimum when parallel to the fall line.

I'd suggest that you don't want to be skidding sideways at the transition point because you'll be presenting edges into the snow in the direction of travel which is a good recipe for a face plant.

If you don't absorb at the end of the turn, you wind up as a fence post on top of a pair of skis. If you don't extend at the start you end up as a sack of spuds.

Unless you're one of these india rubber teenage types, there will probably be some element of up/down away from and towards the slope when you get to higher edge angles. The ideal core form has the body travelling straight down the fall line with no rise and fall relative to the surface of the slope, all movement is supposed to be sideways; frankly it's hard and beyond certain limits it won't happen. If you look at the carving demonstration on the carving thread you will see some up/down of the body and also some 'rooster tails' from the skis indicating ski rotation as well as carve.
ski holidays
fatbob, Sometimes reading these threads is akin to nailing your balls to the road . . . http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104166

"pressure" is just a verbalisation of one of the force vectors that influence a ski's performance. It's very easy to go down the Newtonian Physics/Euclidean Geometry path in explaining how this works . . . easy, but full of verbal diarrhoea.

A ski is just a spring, it stores energy, you introduce that energy by the hill you ride and the movements you make. How you release that is a measure of your awareness of how much energy you have stored and how skilled you technique is to use that.

FFS will some of you lot just look at the mechanics of what we are doing before lathering over it a topcoat of bullѕһіt?
snow conditions
It's not a spring - it's a plank
snow conditions
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
I often feel pressure building during a turn, especially after sauerkraut and Guinness. Goretex is damned difficult stuff to fart through Shocked

Remember to follow through on the turn but not on the others.
snow report
It's neither a spring nor a plank, it's a flywheel with part of the wheel missing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy