Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

And now a knee :(

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having finally got my feet, if not completely sorted, at least pretty much pain free, I have now 'twanged' my left knee.

My knees have never been great - 20 years of being very overweight but still active (used to play squash and dance regularly when approx 5.5 stone overweight). Lost weight and joints creaked less. My left foot being really bad obviously caused issues for other joints but I did think that they would get better when my feet were corrected.

Ended up in A&E on Thursday, the day after my knee 'cracked' (the noise it made, not physically cracked!!), to be told by a physio that I hadn't damaged any ligaments and to just wait for the knee to not be swollen then exercise (and lose weight - gained nearly two stone this summer Sad ).

Knee was very swollen after the weekend so went to a sports physio recommended by a vey fit and active friend. She refused to diagnose or treat my knee, just massaged my leg and sent me to a physio this morning.

She says the chances are I have a slightly stretched ligament (ACL I think) and possibly damaged cartilage (I really should write stuff down when I'm there as I never remember properly afterwards). She did acupuncture and has taped my knee, all with a view of reducing the swelling. Can't really rest it properly as I work in a pub. But have been told to use heat and cold when I am resting. When the swelling has gone she will be able to confirm.

Looks like my chances of skiing this year are minimal - had hoped to do my first every ski holiday with some friends in man but am currently spending spare cash on the physio. Hadn't applied for a job out there cos of feet (still waiting for orthotics) but had hoped I might sneak in for a job in Jan, but the sports person and the physio both look a bit negative when I mention it.

Sorry for chucking all this on here, feeling very sorry for myself and very fed up. I know it's not that bad but things aren't that good anyway and this feels a bit like a final straw!!!

Hey oh, at least I have a year to get fit, get slim and find a job I really want to do out there next winter!!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chaletgirl, you really do have my sympathy. Have you been to your GP yet? Given my experience of gettig to see them it would be good to get an appointment in now. Aim for one 2 weeks after injury as that seems to be a "magic" point for them. If the swelling etc does go down in 2 weeks then it is hopeful it isn't too serious.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TBH NickyJ I haven't bothered with the GP. It took four months after referral to see a consultant about my feet and that was a hugely life affecting problem! I know I'm having to pay for this physio but she seems damned good and was highly recommended and I'm totally not willing to wait in the system for physio this time Sad

I may well do as you say though and see the GP in two weeks if I'm still being treated, just to log it on the system!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I may well do as you say though and see the GP in two weeks if I'm still being treated, just to log it on the system!

Absolutely - very good idea to do that. sorry to hear about your problem; not surprised you're fed up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chaletgirl, it was more from the POV if it turns out to be an issue which need surgery (I am probably coloured by the fact that mine did), the sooner you get seen the sooner you get on the waiting list to see the consultant to get referred for MRI to get back to the consultant to get the surgery booked. These things are stupidly time consuming. That is in addition to getting private Physio (which I think is very sensible). It could be that your doctors surgery is better than mine - being on crutches and unable to walk - still meant a 15 day wait for first available appointment (which I never got as they failed to save it properly), they refused to let me see another doctor that day and had to wait another 10 days to get a GP appointment which was in a slot which they weren't supposed to make appointments in but given they had screwed up they let me be seen that soon. No I'm not bitter (much).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, that GP surgery does sound terrible. Where I go isn't too bad to get appointments but one of the doctors is not keen to refer. Have to make sure I don't see her!!!

Will get an appointment later (going up to see a nurse about something else) for next week, after I see the physio again.

Thanx for the advice xxx
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chaletgirl, Poor you! I'm sure your physio will have told you, but icing it at every opportunity really will help. Get a dedicated bag of peas for the freezer, then just use it whenever & return to refreeze.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If we had another surgery relatively close we would have already switched, even so our next closest is 8miles away and we considering moving to it due to the issues we have both had (not just this but referrals for Physio never happening etc).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Genepi, the physio said hot and cold. Am sitting here doing just that after my shift in the bar (that I sneaked off early from as it's not busy!!). Might try icing if I'm sat down behind the bar. It's still a bit puffy despite the acupuncture and eh lattice of red tape Sad

NickyJ, I use my mates address for the doctors because the surgery is ok. It's not brilliant but better than a lot I have heard of. Sadly she is moving in two weeks so I have to try and persuade another friend that lives close ish to let me use her address!! I'd definitely go for the one 8 miles away if I were you!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chaletgirl, don't get too despndent- it might be something quite minor and much better in 6-8 weeks. Even if it takes 4 months you can still get a month of skiing in. What exactly did your physio say?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chaletgirl,

Try to get a referral to your local orthopaedic surgeon.
You need a clear diagnosis, hopefully that will be forth coming.

In the interim, work with physio to try and make some progress.

If you can't get anywhere with GP , I agree with above, change GP
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peanuthead - physio didn't say too much really as the knee was so swollen. She doesn't think the ligaments are badly damaged. Thinks I've stretched a cruciate (think it was the ACL but was slightly emotional and didn't write stuff down, will take pen and paper on tues and will not answer phone before going!!). She did say it was only slightly more movement than on the other side but thinks it might be part of the problem. She also said I might have some cartilage damage, and/or that the kneecap isn't 'gliding' in the correct place. Because I have incredibly flat feet and my left foot collapsed 'in' three seasons ago, my left knee has been under pressure in the wrong direction, especially in the last three years. My right knee isn't perfect for similar reasons, but as my right foot isn't so bad, the knee isn't either!! Now the swelling is going down, my knee is 'clicking' a LOT which is interesting, not exactly painful but really not nice!!!

Am going back on Tuesday, so will write stuff down; as much for me as for here and to tell the GP.

Jonathan Bell - thank you for the advise. I had an appointment on the 25th with the GP; as I'm seeing the physio's, I didn't push for a speedy apt, just one that fitted with work!! Will certainly make that request. Thank you very much for the advice Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Aaaarrgghhhh. Think I have succeeded in getting an office job (confirmation when the references are through) and then I had a phone call asking me to run a chalet this winter. It's a nice one and the accom is good. Here's hoping the physio is positive in the morning as I'm already miserable at the thought of having to spend a winter in the UK; even though chalet hosting wasn't my plan for this season, it's better than not going.

Wonder how bad it would be to go and not be able to ski for a while. Maybe I could learn to snowboard!

I'm so nervous about the physio now. I am pretty sure it's not going to be good (for a season) but it would be amazing if it's something that can be fixed fast!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy