Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt or Saas Fee at the end of the month (Nov)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Me and the other half have some leave from the 25th of Nov until the 1st of Dec. I've been to both areas but would really like to take my Fiance to Zermatt as she has never been. My main concern is where would be the best skiing and which area will have the most open? Please help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have been going to Zermatt for a couple of days at the end of November for about the last 5 years or so and are off again on 27th Nov. We book a ski testing package through the tourist office which is good fun and sort of compensates for the less extensive pistes. The skiing starts at Trockener Steg and will cover the glacier minimum. However, you should be able to ski down on at least one side of the routes towards Cervinia, I.e. Ventina, or the runs down to Plan Maison. (Great bowls of pasta at Etoile restaurant).
The rest of the Zermatt area is unlikely to be open. Lots of prep going on though!

Looking at the snow forecast, I reckon we might get both sides on the Cervinia side open to mid station this time plus get down to the bottom at Furgg on at least one red run.
I can't comment on Saas Fee. Like Zermatt, I think you always run the risk of lift closure through bad weather, but we have always been lucky.
If you do go to Zermatt, I advise staying at the top end of the village, near the church and towards the Matterhorn glacier paradise lift station. Not all hotels will be open, but there are enough bars and restaurants to give the town a nice atmosphere.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. Looking at the lift passes, do they cover the cervinia side?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Looking at the lift passes, do they cover the cervinia side?
That's optional - either Zermatt only or Zermatt/Cervinia, which is (as you'd expect) more expensive. Worth it though IMO.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cobrakai, Depends on the weather and conditions is the honest answer better skiing on the Cervinia side than zermatt this time of the year IMHO. Big soft spot for Saas Fee but it has become really expensive in the past 12 months! So much so even local businesses are complaining.

Word from on the gorund is that both resorts currently have excellent conditons. Warren Smith is runnning a video blog from Cervinia and a few race tream heads I know are in Saas and really happy with conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry to jump in on this thread, but if wanting to go to this region… Is it better to stay in Cervinia or Zermatt…???? Not necessarily referring to the times mentioned above… Just generally in the season… Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlpineAddict, Same Area pretty easy to get between the two, Cervinia is significantly cheaper for accommodation and food.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cervinia significantly not as fantastic a place as Zermatt, also? You can get reasonable accommodation in Zermatt. Its the lift pass that is dear in Zermatt. (apparently cheaper to buy in Cervinia - in advance?!). Hotels cheaper than most French resorts. Nightlife fantastic in Zermatt at pretty much all levels, not so hot in Cervinia. Cervinia does have the best mountain restaurant (probably)in Chalet Etoile. The towns though do not compare, chalk and cheese. Anyhow having been to different resorts every year for the last 30 or so, we went to Zermatt 3 years ago, and 2 years ago, and last year. This year Obertauern so we can admittedly save some cash.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks folks. Think we are leaning more towards Zermatt. I love the town and the views so even if conditions are not perfect, I'll be content mooching about the village for a view days.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
twoodwar wrote:
Its the lift pass that is dear in Zermatt. (apparently cheaper to buy in Cervinia - in advance?!).

Just be aware that whilst you can indeed buy the area pass in Cervinia, from what I understand from the respective resort websites wherever you buy your pass from is the only place you can start your day, i.e. if you buy from Cervinia then if you try to start your day in the Zermatt lift system then it will refuse to let you on
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well this is what's currently open in Zermatt - http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/service/geoeffnete_bahnen

The Cervinia access opened yesterday afternoon and it has been snowing in town (Zermatt) for a good chunk of today…..so looking promising! Well-advised by Perty to stay at the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise lift end - no runs are open at the other end of town so you'll just end up schlepping back and forth each day. And bars starting to open now….

Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would recommend Saas Fee, without a second thought. We have been in Zermatt and Saas Fee (this year it will be our fifth visit in Saas Fee) and we think that it is by far the best value for money resort in Switzerland. We have been on others too, but none seems to fulfil our criteria (quality of skiing, level of congestion or lack thereof at the pist and the lifts etc).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy