Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This winter's first insurance hype story? Columbus warns of £10k-£40k rescue bills

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Insurance selling season has begun ... enjoy ...

Skiers warned over cost of piste rescue
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/skiing-news/10440703/Skiers-warned-over-cost-of-piste-rescue.html

Quote:

The cost of being rescued from the piste and returned home this winter could be as much as £40,000, according to an insurance company.

Skiers and snowboarders without insurance visiting North America risk the largest bill for a helicopter rescue and flight home, but European travellers are still in danger of paying around £10,000, Columbus Direct said.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
in other news ... sun to come up in the morning; bears defecate in woods.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember reading the justification for needing £4m of liability insurance. The scenario was your car while stuck on a level crossing, derailing a train, which in turn crashed into a canal causing pollution.

Thieves.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob, true, but remember that guy who stayed up all night and then fell aslep at the wheel and crashed his landrover onto a railway line causing a derailment and, if I remember, several deaths. Pretty sure £4m was not enough in his case.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Of 302 British people surveyed, half do not carry any safety gear, such as avalanche airbags or snow shovels, while on the mountain, and only 20 per cent would wear a helmet

Fascinating survey. It says that half the people surveyed carried avalanche airbags or shovels. A half! If I went around a ski resort I would be amazed if 1% carried such equipment (the headline is about piste rescue). Sorry but if you publish such garbage the whole article gets put in the bin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

johnE wrote:

Sorry but if you publish such garbage the whole article gets put in the bin

You'll be putting me in the bin next, like that cat
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that what they call "journalism"?

It seems people on this site are smart enough to know what's happening there, but the insurance business must love that sort of stuff. Do you have to bribe "journalists" to do that, or are they just too lazy to do their own research? I note that they have "an insurance company has said" as a blame avoidance angle, should anyone call them out on it.

Botty dribble.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philwig, terrible article made worse by the plug and hyperlink to their own brand travel insurance at the end.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
Is that what they call "journalism"?
Do you have to bribe "journalists" to do that, or are they just too lazy to do their own research?

The modern phenomenon of 'churnalism' [though it's as old as prostitution] ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churnalism
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But they do caveat it with the cost of a helo rescue at £2500 for Europe. This is not so far off, in Tignes last year the cost of a helo call out with doc was approx. €450 plus €50 per minute of flight so that plus an off piste call out rate of €674 for a pisteur (plus any ancillaries) the non headline grabbing figures are pretty realistic. Still all that goes away for €50 per season with a Carte Neige
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
I remember reading the justification for needing £4m of liability insurance. The scenario was your car while stuck on a level crossing, derailing a train, which in turn crashed into a canal causing pollution.

Thieves.

Steady Tiger....we all got to make a living wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where as in BC the local taxpayer will foot your evac bills, just as they do in the UK.

If you're riding cats or flying heli then the operator will evac you for free if you can wait, or worst case it's about three grand local currency an hour for a heli and crew, and they'll do about 150mph.

I once broke an ankle snowboarding in backcountry BC about 30 minutes flying time from a highway. It cost me nothing for the evac plus $50 for the drugs/ crutches etc. Total cost $50 then, way less than any insurance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy