Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Start of season?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I've got some holiday days left this year so thinking of maybe heading out. Maybe to the Alps. The question is how soon to go? When does the snow get good? Also, are there any other places I should consider? Does Northern Europe get snow sooner?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think some of the higher resorts are open, I have seen people telling us they have already been skiing. ( lucky tossers) .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scotland is meant to be better than anywhere in the World and opens tomorrow with deep powder.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really? I wouldn't say it is better than anywhere in the world, but if it has powder , and the craic is good, it would be great for a quickie.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mywall, Tignes, for example, is already open. Snow will get progressively better over the next few weeks. Season generally starts weekend before the Xmas week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mywall, welcome to snowheads. snowHead If they have any dates left Mountainsun, who have a chalet hotel in Tignes, offer very good value short breaks including transfers from Geneva. Highly recommended. At present there is little open (just the glacier area) but snow is building up and by early December there should be loads of skiing available.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi mywall,

Welcome to snowheads!

We have some spaces left in our chalets for 15th - 22nd December in La Plagne, reduced down to just £399 per person fully catered, with no single supplement if you are travelling alone.

That's the first week that the resort is open but there is loads of snow higher up alrweady, and the first fall down to the valley floor forecast for this weekend - so it should be a good start to the season! There are some great deals on liftpasses for that week too - although this does reflect the fact that they don't open all lifts at the beginning of the week.

If you click the link below it takes you to our website so you can see what's available . . .

Happy planning!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val Thorens officially opens last week of November, although it is pretty quite and only a few lifts open.

Depending on the snow more lifts open through December. We are going out second week of december and things are usually pretty well set up by then. Val Thorens is the highest resort in Europe, at least where the village is, and that pays dividends.

The lifts to the other valleys don't open until xmas week though. But - no queues and usually fantastic skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Tignes, for example, is already open.
Correct.
Quote:
Snow will get progressively better over the next few weeks.
Correct.
Quote:
Season generally starts weekend before the Xmas week.
Wrong. The whole area (Espace Killy - linked with Val D'Isere) is scheduled to open on 30th November Very Happy.

It's (so far) looking good for a repeat of last winter's opening day - this was our first run (from the top of Toviere) after we were first ones on the first lift of the season Smile:

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stubai has been good recently, with more and more lifts opening. Obergurgl opens 14th Nov. Ischgl opens last week of Nov or first week of Dec I think. Think St Anton opens somewhere around the 7th Dec. Most resorts around here will open around the middle of Dec.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Few friends of mine skied Stubai a couple of days ago and said it was good. Sölden is also open. St Anton opens on the 6th, already snow higher up and I can see it starting to creep down the valley sides above me. You may be able to get a cheap deal with a TO for their first week of operating this season as staff are finding their feet.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, i didn't mean the EK. I am quite correct in that the season for much of the Northen French alps properly starts week before Xmas week.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schladming, Austria is due to open 30 Nov. Not too much snow on the ground at the moment but that's changing as we speak and forecast looks fairly cold this week. They will open a few lifts as soon as they can, in previous seasons they have managed to open some lifts in Oct. The local glacier, Dachstein, is already open and reporting 90cm snow, -7 and snowing. The local season pass starts this weekend I think. Give me three weeks and I'll give an on mountain update.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow thanks everyone. Looks like there are some options already. I reckon I'll keep an eye out for late deals. Maybe a long weekend somewhere to try my gear (and my legs) and get any adjustments done before winter proper.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mywall, I'm not convinced there will be many packages kicking around at all, let alone "late deals" bbut flights should be reasonable as should accommodation.
ski holidays
waynos wrote:
Schladming, Austria is due to open 30 Nov. Not too much snow on the ground at the moment but that's changing as we speak and forecast looks fairly cold this week. They will open a few lifts as soon as they can, in previous seasons they have managed to open some lifts in Oct. The local glacier, Dachstein, is already open and reporting 90cm snow, -7 and snowing. The local season pass starts this weekend I think. Give me three weeks and I'll give an on mountain update.

Just checked the cams and it seems to have started coming down pretty much straight after your post Waynos Smile (not as low as town though).
latest report
mywall, I'm not convinced there will be many packages kicking around at all, let alone "late deals" bbut flights should be reasonable as should accommodation.
snow report
mywall, Welcome to snowHead 's. Depending on dates you want to come. Avoriaz in the PDS opens on the 13th December.
Nina is doing good snowHead deals for that first week. We have other snowHead's booked in already.
Send her a pm if interested.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm not convinced there will be many packages kicking around at all, let alone "late deals" bbut flights should be reasonable as should accommodation.

agreed. But Mountain sun as good as you'll get - though I do suspect they are already heavily booked for December.
snow conditions
Verbier is now open weekends. Cervinia opened a few weeksback, things are stratin?.. winter is already open for business.
snow report
It's snowing as I type!
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

So is the "best" advice to wait until the week before (9th-13th Dec) and see which resorts have the most runs open, and then book a hotel & flight direct and separately? I may be forced to take the 16th Dec onwards as holiday, and since my daughter breaks up from school on the 13th, we were thinking of grabbing a short break mid-week on the 16-19th before the main Xmas rush arrives.
ski holidays
jamescollings wrote:
we were thinking of grabbing a short break mid-week on the 16-19th before the main Xmas rush arrives.

Good thinking
snow conditions
I know the glacier in Tignes is open I asked them online.

Someone did ski in scotland yesterday 1st person of the year, im going hopefully to either next week.... car is going to clock some miles. Smile I have found fb pages the best place for the area updates. Smile
snow report
mistral_ski, Tignes glacier has been open for a few weeks, and there's plenty of snow (too much in fact, as the the glacier has been shut a few times because of high winds and avalanche conditions). Great for a few days to gt back on skis, but not like a typical ski holiday so more suited to those who are keen for a bit of training.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy