Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prices at half term

Poster: A snowHead
Well it's that time of year and we are looking at a half term skiing trip. What is the cheapest price you pay on average for this time of year. There is two adults and a 17 year old looking for a begineer/intermediate resort half board hotel. We are looking to pay around £650 for hotel and flights and a total of around £2300-£2600 total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

a total of around £2300-£2600 total

for 3 people in a hotel at half term, including ski passes, at half term, lunches and everything? You'll struggle, I reckon. You could get a lot close if you took a DIY trip - drove down and rented a self-catering apartment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

We are looking to pay [ ] a total of around £2300-£2600 total

Dream on!

You'll be lucky to find much not booked up now for Feb 14 anyway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Benefc123, you've left it a bit late. "It's that time of year again" was actually in September.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have to agree sadly you are gonna struggle!! I looked at half term the last three seasons and just gave up and took kids out of school in January.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never paid more than £500 per week each for 2 of us (flight + transfer + SC accomm) at half term but I've always sorted it all out far earlier than this. That has included major resorts. No more half terms for me now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cough* link in my sig. Ive explained on here many times the advantage (value) of going s/c just out of resort and saving about 50%. Recently did this on another thread with 2 kids and worked it out at around GBP1800, but they were driving. You can have our chalet for GBP1k (sorry if price quoting isnt allowed) for the week as you are a snow head. Add flights to GVA and either a rental car for the week, or transits and using the ski bus. Book early bird piste passes, and dont go full resort, but pick your pass (such as LGT or Morzine) per few days and upgrade to full PDS if required (probably not for beginner/intermediate you say you are)

Feel free to contact me outside of this thread if you want more info.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Doubt you'll get change from £500 each now for a GVA flight that week. You need to have booked them as soon as they were released. Driving would keep the cost down.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flights are a horrendous price at the moment. We have had cheap half term deals to Andorra at princessa parc for £2400 but that was 2 adults and a child so discounted. Could you drive? Get the train or even a coach? Go self catering? If price is the biggest factor then driving and DIY is the only way to do it. As an example we have booked 5 for Tignes at half term.
Appartment £935 (only finally booked last night)
Drive down £400 including fuel, tolls and tunnel (I do get a multibuy discount on the tunnel though)
Lessons £185 each
Lift pass £200 each
Hire £70 each
Food £50 each for breakfast and eat ins (sounds quite a lot for a week but we do like good food)
Hot chocolates/lunches etc £80 each - (we tend to take flasks and packed lunches most days but this budget gives us some flexibility)

Total £4260 so per person £852

Cheapest apartment to sleep 3/4 that I can find in Tignes for that week is £565. I've done a quick search and can't find anything that comes in much cheaper. Other resorts might be cheaper on lift passes etc Beginner and improver packs from the to's in places like Andorra will cost you less than a lift pass in Tignes for example.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Benefc123, I am not sure which week you mean by half term, but let's assume it is as kat.ryb, says the 15th of Feb, Then the figures presented by jellybabe, are pretty accurate. Though there there are still plenty of vacancies these will tend to go over the December/Early January period and I suspect that crowds will be the big discouragement for me.

Though apartment costs tend to go up in France at half term (which runs from the middle of Feb to the middle of March) they only go up by about £500 or so. The channel crossing goes up a bit, but the big costs, fuel, tolls, food, lift passes, stay pretty much the same.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, yes I was assuming the 15th Feb. I used interhome for an apartment. They are not great but we aren't interested in luxury as it is me (40+widow) 13 year old and 3 early 20's lads. It all depends how fussy you are about where, accomm, airports etc. Our first trip was to St Gothard in Arinsal, we booked on the Friday night and left the house at 1am on the Sunday to fly from Bristol. Risky but we just made a decision to try skiing. Other than a resort with cheaper lift passes and living on pasta I can't see how you can shave it any further. Ski school booked is Evo 2 so slightly more than others, espace Killy passes and hire from Ski republic with family deal.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
need to drive to get anywhere near. Try peak retreats website. Even 5 years ago I reckoned on no change out of £1000 a head for skiing,(all in cost) - outside of half term.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Benefc123, flights look more reasonable into, say, Milan Malpensa (depends where you are flying from) and italy suffers less from half term overcrowding...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booking direct or with a local agent is cheaper than someone like peak retreats. I also work on the basis that I would spend £70 on commuting, £150 on food shopping plus days out etc for half term to kid myself it is less expensive than it is. No getting away from it, its an expensive game. My budget is £850 all in but did do it all in for £750 pp at easter but had the ex with us so kids passes etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or be a little left field fly into Nice and ski Isola/Auron, etc.
latest report
Nice flights still a grim price!
snow report
Benefc123, Lufthansa are showing £209 per person in/out of Munich Sat-Sat 15-22 Feb. If you contact some Austrian hotels directly for that week, you'll easily find a H/B deal that brings you in under budget. You'll need a transfer and I'd suggest the train. Austria doesn't get the same half term madness that France does.
snow conditions
If you don't mind a bit of a drive at the other end (between 3 to 4 hours for many top French resorts) you can still grab a basic flight from Luton to Nimes for £72 return for half term week. Landing on the Friday night, returning on the Sunday morning you could manage 8 days skiing if you don't mind staying in a motel the first Friday night and second Saturday night.

The journey up to the Alps from there is relatively quiet, passing around Valence and through Grenoble are the only possible bottlenecks before the normal Alpine congestion points. If you timed it right you could be on the slopes early Saturday morning, leaving the following Saturday evening and missing the majority of the half term traffic.

It may not suit everybody even though it is the 'World's favourite airline'.
snow report
Where did you find that deal? Might be interested.
snow conditions
It is with Ryanair, landing at 19:25 on the 14th Feb, departing 10:15 on 23rd Feb.

Plenty of motels on the way up, Chambery normally has plenty of motel type places available (we use Accor group which include Novotel, Ibis, F1).
Or maybe the Etap (now Ibis budget) in Albertville has availability.

Stop in somewhere similar in Nimes on the way back

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 9-11-13 15:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
skichampcouk, does that price include using the toilet, having a seat, taking any luggage etc?
snow report
Bode Swiller, Obviously not, it is Ryanair.

Although they are now supposed to be on a charm offensive. We flew with them out of Beziers last week and it was the first time on a flight from there they didn't weigh our hand luggage to try to charge us extra.
Having read a lot of negative comments about them in the past I was a touch worried when I started using them a few years ago, up to now I have never had any problems with them and in my experience they are usually punctual and reliable.
latest report
We're taking the train this year at half term - Eurostar to Paris on Friday evening and then the overnight sleeper to the Alps. Prices are still somewhat cheaper than flying but, more importantly, we'll get 8 full days of skiing without the kids losing any school. A bit of a faff, but the kids are looking forward to the novelty. We'll send our skis ahead advance so we're not dragging them behind us on the Metro, and we won't have to worry about airline baggage restrictions. Driving would be cheaper still, of course, and even easier from the luggage perspective but I don't fancy Saturday motorway mayhem.
snow report
Jonny Jones, the advantage of living near enough to get the Eurostar!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy