Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ucpa - new year

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
First post for a long time lurker.
I'm toying with a ucpa trip over new year, with tuition, will be a solo trip by the looks of it, which is a little bit daunting.
Looking at either L2A or flaine, leaning towards L2A because of flights and transfers being a fair bit cheaper.
Any advice on either, what will the mix of nationalities be? Will there many solo travellers, any snow heads likely to be there? How busy will it really be?
I have a group trip planned to morzine in mid January so this really would be a good opportunity to brush up on my technique, as I'm off work anyway and hate new year at home.
Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to L2A by myself in April, best holiday ever, went by myself, lots of different nationalities, a few of here, scottish, irish, kiwi's aussies and french of course.
I went as a beginner (never done it before) and the tutiion was top notch.

I've no idea about teh conditions at new year, but im sure you'll like it.

Im off to Tignes week before xmas.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Damianowen7, I've been to Val T and Serre Che both on my own. Val T had loads of English and Scandies with a few girls from China too - it was probably 50/5-0 French/not French. Serre Che was mostly French, some Scanies and hardly any English.

Both were amazing, everyone wassuper friendly nad happy to chat to me in English. Best holiday you can do on your own I think. You'll love it. Quite a few solo people there both times, but also groups were very accomodating and friendly.

Personally I would go to Flaine over L2A (ar eyou sure flights are cheaper to Grenoble than Geneva?) as I prefer the terrain, but over actual NY L2A would probably be more fun as more bars etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Damianowen7, welcome to snowheads. snowHead if you have a tight budget I think you can do a coach to flaine, through Action-Outdoors. There's a discount code for Action Outdoors here somewhere on snowheads, too. There are some very cheap student prices, if you qualify.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I think you can do a coach to flaine

Snowcoach had the coach at the ski and snowboard show - looked realyl good actually, very roomy and decent reclining seats.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wish was still a student!
I'm in South Wales, so the thought of getting to London then the long bus ride to the alps is not a great one.
I was surprised at the difference in flight prices as well, and luckily the cheapest I could find to Grenoble was from Cardiff as well.

Yeah I understand flaine is supposed to be quiet, and the height of L2A is perhaps a bit more appealing, as well as the nightlife, though that's not a massive consideration for this trip
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the tips above.
Ok while pondering the l2a one has sold out anyway, so it looks like flaine, probably on the bus, which would be an experience.
Will flaine be stupidly busy over new year on the slopes? Nightlife not a prime concern to be honest. Are snow conditions likely to be ok? (I know unpredictable but is the record that time of year decent?)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Will flaine be stupidly busy over new year on the slopes?

no more than anywhere else (it's all busy at NY) and I expect that, as with other schools, being with a UCPA instructor gives you faster lift access.

I wouldn't worry about the bus. I've done several coach trips to the Alps - at least you just get on the coach, and get off at your destination. The airports won't be pleasant at New Year. Take plenty of water and maybe some ear plugs and a pillow. People sometimes make a huge fuss at the thought of coach travel but it's really not any different to a long haul flight to those North American destinations that folk pay an arm and a leg to visit. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, and your right on the coach, I was a little down on it initially as it meant getting to Central London, but every trip I've been on has been from gatwick and that's a nightmare to get too, it's easier to get to Victoria, and I guess embrace the bus ride as part of the holiday.
Now that I'm committing to the coach it's opened up more destination options, namely, valdisere, les arcs, and la plagne. Any advice on the ucpa centres there there's full time tuition options in les arcs and val d, would this be a good option considering the faster lift access?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Damianowen7, full time tuition might be a good option if you're focussed on improving technique. As for which centre to go to, I don't know, as I haven't been to Les Arcs and I haven't been to any of them at New Year. But my son spent a season in Val d'Isere and made the comment that the lift system was so good, and so extensive, that it was quite easy to get away from the worst of the crowds and queues once you knew your way around. Which an instructor would, obviously.

I suspect you'd have a great time in any of them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Damianowen7, I would take the full time instruction as IMO you'll improve loads and have a great time being with the same group and instructor all week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Discount Code is EP2011

Anyone need help with their trip, let me know as I am an Ambassador for the company.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Take full time tuition - you don't have to do it if you get fed up and want to ski off by yourself but it is great to have.

My experiences:

Cham - best centre for making friends and partying but requires walking and buses to get to the slopes.

Val D'isere - Great location - you can ski to the centre almost. More basic than others but the night life nearby is top.

Tignes - perfect location to ski right into the centre but more french than other centres

La Plagne - Quieter but ski in/out
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok going to book today/tomorrow
Val d is out.
So flaine or la plagne? Which will suit me best skiing wise?
Bit of background This will be my 5th week skiing. 1st was a baptism of fire in st anton. Have since skied verbier, alpe dhuez and bardonecchia.
Comfortable on most reds, and done some blacks, sarenne and the run to vaujany
So any tips on the 2 resorts?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Damianowen7, I'm sure you'll have a good time at either centre! Both ski areas are large and varied.
ski holidays
La plagne it is. Full time instruction. Nervous but excited
Thanks for all the help and the discount code Smile
latest report
Bit delayed but thought I'd do a trip review, least I could do after all the advice above.

Travel - I did the snow express overnight bus. As it was a peak week the bus wasn't one of snow expresses flagship spacious coaches, but a subcontracted one, the coach on the way out wasn't the comfiest with limited leg room. But there were ample comfort stops, and the trip to aime then up to la plagne took about 20hrs. It wasn't too bad to be honest, and I'd definitely consider doing it again, the return trip was much better as well.

The centre - the centre in la plagne is fantastic, comfortable 4 man rooms, with a clean and good sized bathroom, no bath but a supurb and powerful shower. We had a balcony overlooking the pistes, which was stunning and useful for chilling beers. I was roomed with a action outdoors ambassador, and 2 other British travellers, the ambassador was great, and the 2 others super friendly as well. Also met up with a group of girls on the coach who we hung out with largely all week.
There's a nice bar area and nightclub downstairs, which were great for après and evenings. A large dining area and a stunning sun terrace which was fantastic at lunch! The ski lockers are great, heated boot racks, and a locker which uses the same key as the room to secure skis. It was busy in the mornings but that's to be expected.
The centre is truly ski in ski out, you walk out the door and your on the piste ready to hit the slopes.

The food - deserves it's own heading, as it is simply supurb. Breakfast is weak, with cereals breads and jams, but it does suffice.
Lunch and evening meals were brilliant, salad bar, soups, then options such as lasagne, fillet steaks, mussels, coq au vin, tarttiflete beef bourguinon. Simply brilliant, simply prepared tasty French food. Followed by copious amounts of cheese!
The NYE banquet was then even better, prawns, patè, duck, dauphinoise potatoes, amazing.

The lessons - the only slightly dodgy point for me, mainly as my instructor spoke very little English, but then he took my group on some great runs, and picked out 3 or 4 minor problems in my technique. I guess this is luck of the draw with instructors.

Overall this was a fantastic trip, I'm hoping to go with ucpa next new year as well, maybe to the val Thoren centre. Thanks for all the tips!
snow report
Damianowen7, good to get the feedback - glad you enjoyed the trip. snowHead The food does sound terrific.
latest report
I certainly have fond memories from UCPA trips 10 years ago, the off piste skiing week in Chamonix was probably one of my most thrilling and educational week's skiing (a bargain with lessons, avalanche equipment, off piste ski hire and pass all part of the package) and I learnt a lot about ski technique. It is an advantage though to be able to speak/understand French to make the most of the lessons.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy