Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing near to Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I haven't been on here for aaaaages due to a (now not so) small addition to my family in 2012.

I really want to go skiing this winter as I haven't been now since 2011. Though I am unfamiliar with european skiing resorts as I've only been skiing in the USA and Canada.

I've sourced some cheap flights and I'm going to DIY it. So my questions are therefore:

Which are the bigger resorts close to Geneva? I ask for bigger as I figured it would be the best opportunity to find cheap accommodation, and re: close, ideally under 1.5 hours.

Is it easy to get a reasonably priced transfer to any of these resorts?

Is the last week in February/first week in March significant in any way?

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morzine and other PdS resorts probably.

Used a bus to get from Les gets to GVA a few years ago. Very convenient
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All should be OK. There are plenty of large resorts within 1.5 hours. Megeve /St Gervais one of the largest, or Morzine /Les Get's, but that week should be reasonable for accommodation. Plenty of transfer companies.
Are you going en famille and what type of skiing do you want to do?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks!

No children on this trip Toofy Grin just me and the old man.

Skiing wise, cruisers really. My fat/unfit self won't be up to much more than that I doubt lol.

Is it easy to book a transfer then? Google seems to point to rather expensive options at first glance!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
v1cky24, your dates are still French holidays but perhaps Switzerland? Not sure how their holidays dates work but might be worth a look especially as you can train it from Geneva airport to a variety of places.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Transfers are usually between 24 and 30 euros each way - similar to the bus fare. When you know where you are going, ring up, as the prices online may be private whereas in practice you can probably join an exisiting transfer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
v1cky24, you could try the Grand Massif as well - Les Carroz, Samoens, Morrillon, Flaine are all within an hour and a half from the airport and the ski area is excellent. Have a look on http://snowbeds.com/ for some cheap options. You can also try to ask for a budget option in the Solutions room of Chalets Direct http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1 There are companies doing shared transfers there as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Is the last week in February/first week in March significant in any way?

Yes, as said above, not a good time to ski in France.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Yes, as said above, not a good time to ski in France.

Not a bad time. There will still be some French schools on hols, but not Paris and not the Brits. Queues will not be bad, weather good but not too warm, snow plentiful.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Queues will not be bad

But they'll be much better outside the french school holidays!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Queues will not be bad

But they'll be much better outside the french school holidays!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beequin, very much determined by generally how much snow there is...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

very much determined by generally how much snow there is...

Indeed. For example Flaine will be hideously crowded if snow in the lower parts of the domaine is poor.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and I believe Paris will be on holiday the last week of February.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

very much determined by generally how much snow there is...

Indeed. For example Flaine will be hideously crowded if snow in the lower parts of the domaine is poor.

Considering how much snowmaking has recently been installed, that lack of snow is reasonably unlikely at the end of february unless its realy dire and then it will be everywhere.

it will be busy as paris and northern france are both on holiday last week of feb, but ski early, stop early or late for lunch and ski 12 until 2 when its quiet, usually works

I always go in half term (taking out of school is selfish) and do ski school, daughter does club esf and i do the freeride class, jump the queues and go where the crowds don't and if it snows lots they all vanish anyway. Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 8-11-13 20:34; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:

do ski school, daughter does club esf and i do the freeride class, jump the queues and go where the crowds don't

very good point - I think that's much the best answer if you need to do one of those busy weeks. But if the OP doesn't (yet) have kids in school it's much better to avoid the school hols - in years to come she will have no choice!
snow report
Thank you all, you have been most helpful.

I'm trying to do this on a shoestring budget and the flights that are the cheapest are to go between 27th feb and 3rd march. Though if it is going to be really heaving I'd reconsider and see if I can find something in January.

My hubby's mate has an apartment in Morzine which is also an option though I think he only likes to rent it out for weeks.
snow report
Oh, and lessons would be useful, as a refresher so that could be a really good idea - cheers Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

the cheapest are to go between 27th feb and 3rd march.

Ah! If you are trying to do a DIY holiday using mid week flights you will find it almost impossible to rent anywhere in the areas mentioned above, let alone at cheap prices, in the Paris holidays. That's the busiest time of the year. Even if there are good places still unbooked (unlikely) the owners are unlikely to rent for your dates.

Mid week flights are a good idea and in low season January it's more possible (though still difficult) to find places to rent.

In many French resorts ski lesson prices will be higher in the school holiday periods.

I have friends who rent out their apartment for non-standard periods - ski in/out and good value - but not practical from Geneva without a hired car. An English owner is your best bet. Hells Bells has a v nice apartment in Serre Chevalier which is available for non-standard periods, too. Not near Geneva but other flight options available.
snow report
Quote:

almost impossible to rent anywhere in the areas mentioned above

But not impossible v1cky24, these guys seem to have accommodation in Morzine for your dates www.morzinelets.com. I've often cited them on here and whilst I've only used them once (stayed in apartment Vallee Verte), I thought they were very reasonably priced accommodation and of a good standard.
snow report
v1cky24, if you haven't bought flights yet, and going only on the price from Luton, but flying in to Milan (Malpensa) looks pretty good value and opens up Italy which doesn't get quite the hordes that France can get. MIght be worth a look...
ski holidays
Cheers guys... will look there too.
ski holidays
You could try Le Grand Bornand next to La Clusaz. Resort is just a little over an hour from GVA. Not a massive ski area and smaller than the Portes du Soleil or Grand Massif which are good too but it never tends to get as busy as other French resorts during the French half-term - see video we have put on http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/le-grand-bornand.htm and which will give you a little feel for the place.
latest report
XPeak, but are any of your properties available for the non-standard dates quoted by v1cky24?

If I were her I'd book now for a Sat/Sat week in January, then look for accommodation nearer the time - when accommodation will be far cheaper and easier to find than on odd dates in the school holidays.
latest report
Quite right pam w, non Sat-Sat during French school holidays can be a struggle in many French resorts. Wasn't particularly suggesting any of our properties but more the resort as in smaller lesser known resorts like Le Grand Bornand or Les Saisies you probably stand more of chance to find some accommodation providers who are more flexible. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense though.
snow conditions
XPeak, I'd say the chances are vanishingly small in Les Saisies.
latest report
A few (pre-children) years ago, I organised a budget 12 person trip to Samoens on a DIY basis the 2nd week of March, although not midweek to midweek. The closeness to Geneva and hence cheap transfers was definitely a plus but we also managed to find really cheap self catering accommodation booking direct with the French company (Nemea) and it was the week immediately after the French holidays finished - if you've not already booked you're flights, I'd rethink your dates.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone, you have been most helpful! I'd have just booked flights ordinarily and worried about everything else afterwards.

I'm going to reconsider dates and maybe book earlier in February, possibly the first week. I'm struggling with a full week though due to childcare which is a bit of a shame. Though a week at granny's is pushing it big time lol
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Vicky24 - you will definitely find accommodation a lot cheaper in January or the first week of Feb. Pre children I used to like going skiing for my birthday at the end of Feb and it was always one of the most expensive weeks - I now know why - French school hols Sad
We went to the Grand Massif for the first time this year and absolutely loved the skiing there. I'd recommend looking for accommodation in Morillon or Les Carroz. They are amongst the closest resorts to Geneva.
snow report
Thanks for the help with this everyone.

I have learnt from this that it is much easier to do a stright week of skiing and not a short break!!

Flights are booked 2nd-6th Feb so hopefully we'll be avoiding any school holidays etc. Still looking for accommodation, but to narrow down the selection the old man (haha) has decided he wants to stay somewhere on the Portes Du Soleil circuit.
snow conditions
Another vote for the La Clusaz/Grand Bornand area if Portes du Soleil doesn't work out. Only an hour from Geneva, lovely French town, good ski area, lots of accommodation.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy