Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Complete Beginner - ski boots or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

So.. I am a complete Beginner, have a mere 14 hours skiing and another 4 booked in at a snowdome... I am planning on going skiing very soon and will be taking lessons out there.

However my question is are ski boots a good idea?
I have heard so many conflicting opinions... friends who ski say yes get your own boots, much more comfortable once you have your own... others say no - you need to go through the pain of hire boots for a few holidays before buying your own boots in order to know what boots you need!

Now I know that a beginners boots are different to an intermediate skiiers boots... but I will be going skiing once a year (hopefully) the occasional snow dome trip... so I can imagine I am going to be a 'beginner' and not classed as intermediate for some time! Possibly 3-4 years...... So buying beginner boots knowing that I may have to buy more boots in a few years doesnt bother me if it means I will be more comfortable the few times I go before then.

So my question is will getting my own boots make me more comfortable on the slopes?
Or is it just a waste of money?

Thanks!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getting you own boots bought from a good boot fitter who can find and if necessary customise the right boot for you will make you more comfortable on the slopes.

I would go for it. Do you live within 100 miles of Bicester?

Beginners boots afaik just have more padded inners. If I was you I wouldn't concern yourself with the concept. At the risk of repeating myself just go to a good fitter and get it right first time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. Yes I live just an hour away.. is there somewhere good quite close?
I also saw that Ski Bartlett is only 50 minutes away.

Thats the thing, there is no point in me getting too technical as I am just learning at the moment, I just want to be as comfortable as possible.

Also are Decathalon any good for ski boots?

Lastly (and apologies for all the questions) ... is it likely I could get a pair for £100-150?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would avoid Lockwoods in Leamington. Terrible service. But yes, get your own boots if you're planning to ski every year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Em1986, I think YES your own boots are the most important first purchase really, earlier the better.
If you can afford the time & money to follow Layne's advice then I'd go for that. Boot fitting, choice & anatomical analysis & correction if ness whilst you're there.

I'm not far off being a beginner too, I bought my first pair off of ebay for £25 used.
I got lucky, they didn't hurt, but were too big, in fact like most "too big boots" they were really comfy, & I loved em.
I have since had a basic measuring at Snow & Rock and have dropped a whole size, gone a little stiffer & am very happy so far.
One day I'll spend the kind of £ proper fitting costs & visit Bicester

If you know you're gonna ski "regularly" getting your own boots is a good idea
Good luck

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 8-11-13 15:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just for a bit of balance I've had very good service from Lockwoods. Bought my boots there, had some adjustments done and new liners when the old ones packed out. Also had some work done on my daughter's boots which I hadn't even bought there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
www.solutions4feet.co.uk/
The boss is on here.. posts as CEM.

I've heard people on here say Decathlon boots are pretty good for the price.

If you go to CEM at Bicester it will cost a lot more than £150 (double, maybe more I'd say) but you will be guaranteed to get it right.

If your feet are fairly straightforward the Decathlon boots may well work out. There just aren't that many people with straightforward feet.

There are of course other good boot fitters aside from CEM but also many not so good. So best to get some sort of recommendation. Many on here have used CEM, including me, hence me asking.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone!!
The thing is I dont want to spend hundreds... I mean between now and Jan I dont have more than £150 really... is this doable?
I know people that have got decent pairs for £100 by shopping around and getting last seasons etc.. but I dont want to buy them off the internet as I dont have a clue about how they *should* fit and thats the whole point I am buying them... for comfort! So I need to go instore...

How much does boot fitting, analysis etc all cost with the boots?
Ofcourse I want them to fit as well as possible but I am working within a financial limit. So what is the best way of getting the best fitting boots within budget and getting some good advice about which to get? Anywhere near Hampshire?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Layne,
Thanks for the information - I dont think I am in a position to spend that kind of money on them at the moment.
Probably not for the next few years.. as well as skiing trips, we have just bought a house and saving for a wedding so its a tad too much right now...

Any ideas on how I can get cheaper but still good fitting boots, I know they may not be as good and well fitting but as long as they are more comfortable than Hire boots then I will be happy Happy

I *think* I have straight forward feet... I mean I never have problems with shoes, my feet are quite narrow but not weirdly so NehNeh Just normal Id say. My OH on the other hand has wide feet so has more issues!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you have straighforward feet the hire boots should be OK - at least for the first trip. Even for OH, the boots will probably be a wider (cofortable) last. If not, try another pair and if you like them look for them cheap in the sales.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I understand your predicament and you will be happy to know we have all gone through it – its expensive to get the gear to start off with – if you can get a pair with a decent fit for £100 then I would probably buy as this is not much more than rentals. But if you get to a point where they are considerably more for an off the peg boot then I would go for the rental option – you can always change rental boots if there are problems (I'd probably say rent anyway)

BTW – if your feet are narrow don’t be tempted to use thicker socks to try to compensate tell the boot man at the shop
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you everyone, I think this is what I might do... I may have a look in Decathalon when we get my OHs skiing stuff and if there is some that are comfy within budget then get them but if not then not worry.

Im also being a girl and just want my own nice pretty boots NehNeh (I know thats not the point!!)

Thanks for the advice on the socks, I have bought ski socks so will just wear a pair of those Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After a few years of being at the mercy of hire boots I finally stumped up the cash for my own ones fitted at Banks of Perth, they are tight but comfy and I have yet to test them out, just waiting on Glenshee opening up. I will say that some of the hire boots I have used have been ok and the equipment you get is different depending on where you go, I remember Yllas in Lapland having great quality. But having hired for the past few years I don't feel it has been to my detriment, the boot fitter (Rhona) I used did say that having fitted boots will improve my skiing but that remains to be seen.
As for £150 I don't know, I paid £300 for mine, but that was only because after trying a few the most expensive ones I tried fitted the best, I would have saved more if the cheaper ones were a better fit for me, but I reckoned I would have them a few years so no point scrimping to save 50 quid only to have a worse fitting boot.
You could always go to the fitters and talk to them, there's no obligation to buy and you may find something a bit cheaper that fits well. Otherwise just hire until you have the cash, I did and dn't feel I suffered too much for it, seeing as you can always go back to the hire shop and try on different boots to get a better fit. Skullie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There're always TWO things with ski boots: the boot, and the footbed.

For majority of people, they benefit from a custom made footbed. That's why almost all the really satisfying customers all ended up paying more than the £150. A good chunk of that cost is the footbed.

Footbeds can be moved from one boot to another. So the up front cost of the footbed you will not need to spend again when you're ready to upgrade to an "intermediate boot".

That said, most beginners don't go for customized footbed. They just can't get their head around to the cost. I didn't. But looking back, I wish I had. Night and day!

I'm on my 3rd or 4th boots. All except the last pair cost less than £150 for the boot itself. That's including the boot fitters service to make the boot "fit". (admittedly, I'm not in UK) Once I got a customized footbed made, the amount of adjustment done on the boot itself is relatively minor.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 8-11-13 16:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:

That said, most beginners don't go for customized footbed. They just can't get their head around to the cost. I didn't. But looking back, I wish I had. Night and day!

^^^+1 the above
ski holidays
Hi Em1986, welcome to snowHead s
My opinion, FWIW, is that I would buy boots if you feel that skiing is going to be an on-going pass-time, but rent if you are not sure. I bought a pair of boots after some dry slope lessons but before my first ski holiday (27 yrs ago Embarassed ) because skiing was something that I had always wanted to do, and was confident that I wasn't going for just one ski holiday in my life.

I have had good service from both Lockwoods and Colin at Solutions 4 Feet - but actually think Lockwoods (or Decathlon) might be more appropriate at your stage - I'm not even sure if Colin sells entry-level boots - because Colin tends to deal with stiffer, higher-performance boots (with a price to match) which you don't want at your stage.

Have a great first skiing holiday. Very exciting! Very Happy
latest report
Thank you - I am getting some great information!

I am 99% sure that we will keep skiing, my OH is an adrenaline junky and I love fun holidays, the skiing I have done so far have started of scary as anything but ended with me absolutely buzzing so I am really enjoying it and progressing .. albeit slowly!
I can now go down the snow slope from the top.. stop, speed up, slow down, change direction and am starting to kind of paralell ski although this needs a lot more practice... I am loving the snow plough a bit too much at the minute NehNeh but then I have only been a few times with quite big gaps in between each visit!

Nope youre right there I just want some comfortable boots with I can keep and take back on my next trip!
We have two decathalon stores within half hour we can visit... so thats probably a good bet Happy
snow report
Oh and thank you for the welcome Smile
snow conditions
There are beginner boots? well you live and learn. I learned to ski back when the diansours crept the earth, on blue ice in Bulgaria, morning till evening sking with an ex soldier who forgot we were soft and pushed us very hard. I bought a pair of boots without having my feet sorted, and I had awful problems with them, pain in my feet and legs , far worse than the normal tired legs. So I went to a really good ski shop in Austria and he put me on a machine that showed him how my feet would be in the boots, then made a special foot insole for me. It was worth every penny, because now my boots are like gloves, never ever had pain in my feet again.
snow conditions
I have pain in my feet while at the snow dome and also the bottoms of my legs but Im not sure whether its due to me clenching my feet which I have noticed I sometimes do, the boots, or my lack of experience!
ski holidays
Why not hire boots the first trip but if you do make sure you take time to get them fitted. Don't get rushed in and out which a lot of hire shops will want to do so they can get through the rush. Make sure they are comfortable from the word go but you will only really know if they are properly fitted after skiing in them. The best time to buy boots in your circumstances is right at the end of season. You will get some great deals offered end of March early April. Now is the most expensive time to buy boots and most other ski gear. In the interim before your trip go and get your feet measured properly so you know what size and shape your feet are. You can then get some generic advice on makes and models of boots to suit your foot size. Some are renowned as being good for wide feet others narrow etc. You can then go to the hire shop in resort and ask for a specific boot. This is exactly what I did and it worked out spot on. I bought my own for my third trip.
latest report
Hiring boots ruined my ski trips for about 15 years and I thought they had to be that uncomfy.
I finally bought some last year and the difference is phenomenal. I never heard of beginners boots. I plan to keep mine for a long time. If you're sure you're serious about the sport then buy is my advice.
snow conditions
Em1986, OK. Here is what I would do. I would buy the boots this year and then buy a customised footbed next year or when you can afford it. Someone mentioned on here mentioned a good website earlier... http://buy-ski.glisshop.co.uk/ski-boot/women/ They have several womens boots under the £150 mark. So why don't you get to a couple of shops in the UK - see what fits well and what doesn't. See what deals they have and see if you can match them up to this website or indeed any others. If you can get a decent boot that fits well you are halfway there. As abc and others say you can then turn them into something even better with a customised footbed later. Also if you wear them for a week you will get an idea of any pressure points. And someone like CEM can help you with those aswell. For example I have narrow feet and lower legs but bony, sticky out ankles. So CEM blew out the shell slightly where the ankle bones are. But that can come after you've used the boot a while.
snow conditions
Em1986 wrote:
I have pain in my feet while at the snow dome and also the bottoms of my legs but Im not sure whether its due to me clenching my feet which I have noticed I sometimes do, the boots, or my lack of experience!

that's a common issue if the boots are too big. You can instinctively feel your feet moving around too much and dig toes in to assimilate grip. In actual fact you don't achieve grip just imbalance and discomfort. With the correct size boots there is less chance of this happening as your feet will be in the right position and have minimal movement. Your big toe should be just touching the end inside the boot when stood normally (uncomfortable) as soon as you take the correct position on skis your heel will pull back and up fractionally and the toe will not be pressured into the front end of the boot.
ski holidays
Agreed jirac18 about boots possibly too big causing foot pain. If the "bottom of the leg" pain is in your calfs, that may be due to you not resting forward into the front of the boot, but trying to stand up (a common problem).
snow report
Em1986 wrote:

If you can "clenching your feel", the boot is likely too big.

And that's one thing a custom footbed will help. It'll conform to your feet at the bottom.
snow conditions
Thats some really good advice thank you!
wow okay, well that really helps as this is where a lot of my pain is coming from and I just thought it was my fault for clenching my feet not that the boots were too big as they didnt feel big... but then I dont know how they should feel! & It was hurting to the point where I wanted to try and take them off after a few hours. Reading that my toe wasnt at all touching the end of the boot.

I think that all of this is really swaying me to get my own boots as I dont want that kind of discomfort when I have 6 days of skiing let along 2 hours!

I think that its a good idea to get my own boots and then as soon as I can afford it get the custom footbed although that wont be for this trip I dont think. I am on a time limit as well as I cant even start looking for them until gone Christmas day and have 4 weeks to find some before we go. I am hoping Decathalon can help, Lockwoods are not too far away as well.
snow report
Given your budget going to a Decathlon with a boot fitter available sounds like the best idea. But you need to stop clenching your feet or even the best fitted boots in the world won't stop your feet hurting. If you can, make an appointment, and be prepared to give it several hours. And don't buy if you're not completely convinced. And if they're "really comfy" in the shop they are likely to be too big.

Personally, I think it would be best for you to hire boots for your first holiday, and be able to go back to the shop if the boots don't work. IME the boots available in a resort hire shop are much better than the ones at, for example, the Hemel ski slope.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the advice, I am aware that I need to stop clenching my feet but I have only just started skiing and so its something I am working on. When I realise I am doing it I do try & relax my feet. I think as I get more experience and get more comfortable then this will stop.
snow conditions
Quote:

I think as I get more experience and get more comfortable then this will stop.

a good reason to wait a bit before buying boots. If you really struggle with good quality rental boots you will have to consider buying your own but might need to be prepared to spend a bit more.
latest report
Em1986 wrote:
- you need to go through the pain of hire boots

Unless your feet are hard to fit, there shouldn't be "pain" from hire boots. If you've money to burn, fine, buy your own boots but it isn't necessary. If you are flying, you then need to fit the heavy nuisances into your baggage allowance and lug them around on coach transfers etc.
snow conditions
Thanks for the tips.

I have just seen Snow and Rock do boot fitting as well and we have one of those very close ....
I have been told Decathalon are trained on fitting boots.... but I have been told that by Decathalon?! I'm a tad concerned getting my boots from there now if the staff actually dont have that knowledge as reading your posts I have realised I have no clue what a properly fitted boot shold feel like in terms of boot size, where your toe should be, how tight they should feel... etc.. let alone having them moulded to my feet! And so unless I can get some boots from somewhere where I am advised properly on how they should feel, and whether they fit right there is no point in me spending the money really.

Does anyone know if Decathalon actually have this knowledge?

I can see Lockwoods have boot fitters, as do snow and rock and Ski Bartlett do. As well as having lots of boots in my price range... I am thinking that if Decathalon dont have this knowledge I will be better going somewhere like the above and getting the proper information and IF a pair do fit in my budget getting them... if not then wait until I can afford it.
ski holidays
Em1986, Do NOT buy yet. Get through your first holiday and only then think about it. It can be nice to have your own boots, I did for years, but there is a lot to be said for hiring. Hiring is not that expensive if you are hiring skis too. Flying boots around Europe is a pain, and expensive. In an ideal world own boots may be more comfortable, but I know loads of people who curse about their own boots. If you don't like the hire ones you just keep swapping until you find a pair you love. Please, resist the urge and hire to begin with.
latest report
Em1986,
You sound just like me before my fist trip 5 years ago.
Keen as mustard and knew that skiing would be my thing.

I purchased my first boots from a ski shop for less than 200.
Spent my first trip away (1 week) in agony. had boots adjusted spent a weekend away in agony.
came home and booked in at solutions4feet and paid up for proper fitting boots ,
just wish I hadnt tried to save the pennies earlier as it cost me more money and two ruined trips
snow report
If you haven't got more than £150 you won't get much of a boot. I would hire and save for a good pair. A cheap pair of boots won't be any better than hire boots. In my experience all boots are uncomfortable, but it's just that your feet are not used to them in the same way that if you haven't cycled for a while, then go on a long ride your back bottom will complain the next day if you go for another ride.
If you hire boots and they are really bad, just take them back to the ski shop, they'll change them no problem, but if you buy, you are stuck with them.
Most important though is when fitting boots, either hire or if buying, try and be as clear as possible on your feedback to the boot fitter.
I hired for 2 years, saved then bought a good pair of salomon boots in the end of season sale at snow and rock. Used them for 3 seasons (7 trips), then sold them on ebay for about £80, then bought some more, again, end of season sale.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
ski holidays
Ahhhh I don't know what to do! I just know being in pain after 3 hours does not bode well for a weeks skiing!!

But then the snowdome just ask what size I am and have me the boots which I assume boot hire at a resort would too? In which case If I am not being offered any advice as to how they should feel I will end up with uncomfortable boots again probably. Hmmm, it's a tough one.

I don't know what to do!
Since posting I have moved away from the idea of just getting an off the peg pair of boots without a boot fitter present to check them properly and spend time fitting them. Got to be good right?

But now I'm thinking I can try and save a bit more money... £100 more say and hit a few places with proper boot fitting service to ensure they fit.

I know I could just hire I'm just worried about the discomfort I've felt within a few hours at the snow dome Sad
ski holidays
Em1986, hire boots in a resort should be far better than the ones at the snowdome (which I found truly grim, when I went there without my own boots - they were all too big and sloppy. The thing is, you probably don't yet have the experience to know WHY your feet are sore after three hours; the toe clenching could have a lot to do with it.

IME resort hire shops WILL just ask your size and give you a pair of boots but they will have much better boots, and they will have a choice - so if one make or model doesn't fit well, another might. Armed with the information you now have about fit you should be able to be a more informed customer. Make sure you have a well-fitting pair of good quality ski socks (not great thick wooly ones) and try to find one which feels reasonably snug, with your toes at the end of the boot when you stand upright, but pulling back a bit when you bend your ankles down.

The thing is, if you can't get a decent fit "off the shelf" in a good hire shop you are even less likely to get a good fit off the peg on the internet especially for £150.

You can, however, get a perfickly good ski jacket for £50 so make sure you get your priorities right when spending money!
snow report
foxtrotzulu, taking my boots costs me no more than not taking them. I just pack them in the case. Puzzled
snow conditions
Em1986 wrote:
But then the snowdome just ask what size I am and have me the boots which I assume boot hire at a resort would too?

A decent hire shop will have a selection of boots of a given size and will allow you to try different ones. They will also try and turn customers around quickly at peak times so it's a matter of either not going at peak time or being reasonably insistent.
ski holidays
I only started skiing 4 years ago and have hired every time. Whilst I don't seemed to have suffered as much as some the boots weren't that comfortable. This year I went to snow and rock in Chertsey and bought some custom fit boots with a footbed. The fitting and advice were great and the boots are more comfortable than a lot of my normal footwear (not worn for skiing yet just breaking in around the house). At over £350 they are expensive but as I plan on going ever year I think it will be a good investment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy