Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mini Canadian Road Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Kicking Horse in Feb and Revelstoke. Not sure if I can be bothered to drive to KH in one go after a 9 hour flight but noticed Banff is about half way to KH on the same road. Hadn't really considered Banff before is it worth a day out?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guernseyfreerider, Do you mean as a place to visit or to ski at Norquay (nearest), Lake Louise or Sunshine? If you mean as a place to visit, then not really IMHO (although I love it, I wouldn't stop off especially - place is pretty dead through the day)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx,

Sorry as a place to ski, which area?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Banff comprises three areas:

- Mount Norquay. Very close by. Not the biggest area and (allegedly by locals' standards) poorest snow in the area. We've been twice and loved it. Great snow, quiet slopes and some steep skiing.
- Lake Louise
- Sunshine
Both of the above are bigger areas than Norquay. Very different to each other. Sunshine is reached by a gondola from the car park (I don't think you can ski back to the parking?...Been a while since I was there....). Good area though. Lake louise is fairly extensive and has some great skiing too.

You could stay in Canmore en route from Calgary - you'd arrive there just before Banff. It's got a fair selection of hotels and is generally cheaper than Banff.

In terms of the drive, you definitely don't want to consider going all the way to Kicking Horse after a Transatlantic flight. Especially after Banff, the Trans Canada Highway is very dark (totally unlit), often snow-covered with road markings barely visible or totally obscured by snow/muck and is a total wilderness experience. Not to mention that there is a pass (whose name escapes me) between Banff and Kicking Horse that can be prone to closure after snow. We once cut short a Kicking Horse stay and went back to Lake Louise. The Trans Canada Highway was closed while we were in Golden due to avalanche danger. With more snow forecast we were in danger of being trapped in Golden and missing our flight home from Calgary - so we left as soon as the road re-opened.

On that (cautionary note), closure of the Transcanada Highway in winter is not a rare occurence in that neck of the woods - so always best to check the weather forecast carefully.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Not to mention that there is a pass (whose name escapes me)

Its the Kicking Horse pass!

TransCanada does close a few times a winter I would say. Kicking Horse pass and Rogers Pass can be closed. Friends two years ago had to get back to Calgary via cranbrook

Agree with mountainaddict, places to stay in Canmore are way better quality for the price; but if you go to Banff you could pop into hot springs
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As above - grab an overnight in Canmore or on the strip in Banff then take your pick - Lake Louise is about another 45 minutes on the Trans Canada in good conditions, Sunshine maybe 20. Get to Sunshine early as parking can fill. Or Norquay which I suspect is a bit cheaper for day tickets and right outside town. I prefer Lake Louise even without the Sunshine ownership issue - more open alpine terrain & the Dive at Sunshine isn't always open. LL to Golden is about an hour IIRC. I've driven up to LL to ski on a day when KH gondola was closed out by high winds.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it's all been covered. Not stayed in Canmore though so I can't really comment. I preferred Sunshine to LL, particularly Goat's Eye mountain - some great trees and the south chutes were great open but avi controlled off piste. You can ski back to the carpark - long enough and can be a bit busy with beginners where you want to carry a bit of speed.......

Next seasons plan is Revvie and Banff (might be a stopover in KH, it would be rude not to snowHead ).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 8-11-13 13:36; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Not to mention that there is a pass (whose name escapes me).....Its the Kicking Horse pass!
Cheers Gryphea.....I was obviously thinking of Rogers Pass Embarassed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Banff is worth a day out Very Happy

As for skiing, I prefer sunshine/ll to Norquay. If I was pushed I'd say sunshine as the best out of the 3!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What time does your flight get in, as often they are early afternoon ? We did this for the start of our Canadian Roadtrip took under 3 hours driving to get there. We stopped in Banff for coffee and supplies, and to get skis serviced wink before heading off again.

If you stay in Banff, dont you have to purchase a park pass for the vehicle ? IIRC but gryphea, may be able to tell you. If just passing through you dont need one, or I was led to believe this.

We had driven the road the previous year too so had an idea of what to expect.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bones, Flight gets in at 17.20
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Guernseyfreerider, Stay in Canmore, ski one of Banff resorts then head to Kicking Horse - or stay in Canmore and when you wake early wink Hit the road, breakfast at Kicking horse then ski Madeye-Smiley

Canmore isnt in Banff National Park so doesnt incur park fees and is cose enough to stop off in Banff on the way. We arrived at about 1pm so wwee able to hit the raod early and drive straight through to Golden.
We stayed at Kicking Horse River Lodge which you pass on the way to the resort - breakfast is good too Madeye-Smiley

Enjoy the trip, Revvy is a great place if they have fresh snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I loved Canmore, a great town Smile Some live bands hitting the bar and cheap coffee and lox bagels. I also stayed in Banff for a few days, it was on this climbing trip that I learnt to ski for the first time Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bones,

Any stopping in the national park , except for brief roadside stopping requires a park pass. Staying in Canmore wouldn't mean you don't need a park pass for the ski day at LL, MN or Sunshine but you could drive from Canmore to Golden , not get out the car except for a roadside layby and not buy a pass. I see park pass checks fairly often at Sunshine (where I go most of the 3) but have also seen them at LL. The consequences of a check are that you have to buy a pass, not get a massive fine.

Even what you did theoretically (and maybe ethically) requires a park pass, ie getting out the car in Banff itself as part of a trip, Any deviation off highway one or any stopping at Highway 1 attractions requires a park pass.

BUT if you should get a pass, get one, its around $20 for the day and its needed for upkeep of the park. Everything else you buy here will have much lower sales tax than UK, so chip in for where they need the money.

Whatever you do, if its cold spell do not stop at a mixed sex drop loo, wait until the bigger loos just outside golden. My worst experience in Canada was doing just that at minus 22 in the Kicking horse pass, and it had been cold a while. All the male pee splash back froze 15 cm high on the back of the seat and there was also a splash around the base of loo around 10cm thick and 15-20 cm wide wedge kind of pattern of frozen pee. Really really rank.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gryphea, Thanks mate top advice snowHead
latest report
gryphea, Thanks for that clarification its good to know. We were told the previous year you only needed a park pass if you were staying in the park, it was implied that it meant an overnight stay. This was by a Brit TO though.

I agree about just buying a park pass and certainly dont mind chipping to pay for the amenities etc there. The place is soo beautiful its well worth it. The previous year we bought an annual pass for our time there.

We have stopped at the mixed loo's too Embarassed SWMBO decided to hold off untl we arrived at Golden after seeing them Toofy Grin I'd forgotten about them until you mentioned them. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy