Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long before I dare ski with a replacement half knee?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had a partial (inner half) knee called an Oxford at the end of October. Has anybody else had similar and how long before you were skiing again

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 7-11-13 22:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ask your dr and physio and listen to what they say!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Farmboy, Don't know the answer, but if you edit the title to say it's about knee replacement then you might attract the attention of our SH skiing knee surgeon, Jonathan Bell

As a likely candidate for a knee replacement (albeit a long time in the future) I'm interested to see that a partial exists and how you get on this season
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Farmboy, as a well known connossieur of fine brandies, therefore excellently qualified to judge, I would go as soon as possible.

The "Oxford" half knee has a justified and tedious reputation for turning into chocolate ice cream ( a.k.a. The Cambridge) rendering it less than entirely useful. You can tell when this is happening when it becomes increasingly difficult to walk in a straight line.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A one, two
A one, two, three, four

Half a knee, philosophically
Must, ipso facto, half not be
But half the knee has got to be
A vis-a-vis its entity, d'you see?

But can a knee be said to be
Or not to be an entire knee
When half the knee is not a knee
Due to some ancient injury?

Singing

A laa dee dee, a one two three
Oxford, the half a knee
A, B, C, D, E, F, G
Oxford, the half a knee

Is this wretched demi-knee
Going to stop me going for a ski
How long will I have to be
On the bench can you forsee?

A fiddle de dum, a fiddle de dee
Oxford, the half a knee
Hoh hoh hoh, tee hee hee
Oxford, the half a knee

I love this joint, half absentee
Bisected with surgery
In October by an internee
I love it carnally

He loves it carnally
Semi-carnally
The end

Cyril Connelly?
No, semi-carnally
Oh, Cyril Connelly
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Farmboy,

I've just had a young patient go back to work as a steel erector and welder at 8 weeks, which was a bit uncomfortably early for me. Similarly a farmer back at similar time airliner this year. However I think there is big difference to being able to do some manual work and performing on skiis.

I would have concern that if you tried to go back too soon you would be at risk if injury.

You physio should check the following.

Cv fitness should be able to do intervals of about 2 minutes.( you could use a bike)

Strength: probably should be able to single leg rests about 1.5 x body weight

You should be balanced between hamstring/ gluts and quads

You should have excellent neuro muscular control ( in essence balance and coordination ) and that the recovery should be equally good right and left.

Plyometrics( explosive take off, think bouncing) needs to be included, ideally.

So your recovery is goal directed not by time but I would be surprised to see you able to be safe in under 4 months, more likely 6

There is a program you can look at on our Facebook page which you would be welcome to download http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/
that would give you some ideas of a ski fit program.

Have a chat with your physio and surgeon

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well my new knee is amazing. If anybody is suffering with their knees and you are a candidate for a half knee replacement I cannot recommend the operation enough. I have had no pain at all from my new knee from the day of the operation.
It is just over 4 weeks since the operation and I have seen the physio today and she has said that she cannot say it is alright to go skiing but if it was her knee she would be going.
So my plan is just to travel from restaurant to restaurant on greens and blues and meet up with family for lunch and drink breaks. We booked for La Tania for New Year a while ago thinking I would not be able to ski so this is a great result. I have booked in at the end of January to have the other knee done as I am so pleased with it. Then for the bad news which I will start a new thread for.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Farmboy . Have just read this thread .Congratulations on the successful knee op . I am also a candidate for a partial knee op but am waiting to see how much I can achieve through physio etc
before committing to an op . Also at 53 , a partial knee op will mean a further knee op in 8-10 years so my initial though was to delay it for as long as possible but I am increasingly coming round to the
view that maybe its better to get it done sooner rather than later (especially after your very positive report) . I would be very grateful if you explain a bit more about how bad your knee was before and
what you tried before going down the op route , age , etc . Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy