Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold exposure and hypoglycaemia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A thread on silk gloves mentions the importance of keeping the core warm to keep the hands warm

One of my pals has an interest in expedition medicine - he tells me that hypoglycaemia is perhaps the most dangerous aspects of hypothermia. When there is cold exposure - for example falling through ice - the body shifts all of the available glucose in the bloodstream into trying to produce heat. There is a limited supply of glucose, and other pathways that can release sugar take time to kick in - therefore it is hypoglycaemia rather than cold itself that first causes loss of consciousness, then brain damage, then death.

When dealing with a cold emergency, giving (lots of) sugar orally in any form can be life saving, and takes priority over almost everything else. This isn't widely known, and for anyone venturing into wild places (or even the park on a freezing day!) is important to know

In more minor circumstances - feeling cold - sugar will enable your body to produce the heat it needs quickly, and perhaps prevent more serious problems.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good to know
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good info. I'm ID diabetic, have been for 35 years and for climbing, mountain biking and skiing I always have loads of glucose gel sachets and glucose tablets as well as more complex carb sources. I'd had the odd occasion to provide a bit to other people who were suffering from cold and exhaustion. Also with exercise (and possibly alcohol the previous night) the liver's glycogen resources will have been depleted and therefore food eaten will be broken down and stored as glycogen rather than as instantly available fuel for the body.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many years ago I suffered what I initially thought was an a attack of altitude sickness at around 5500m in the Himalayas. The wind had been put up me a few nights before when someone died next to me in his sleep in the hut we were in. We abandoned a glacier walk and went as fast as we could to the Himilayan Rescue Assoc. place at Pheriche at about 4500m. They quickly diagnosed hypoglycaemia. For some reason they had a plentiful supply of custard creams that put me back on an even keel.
I am told that I am glucose impaired rather than intolerant. I too keep supplies with me on the mountain. We had not understood just how much harder the body has to work at high altitude. I lost 35lb in the same amount of days on that trek. I always have a good hearty breakfast before I go out skiing.
It was assumed the chap that died had some kind of oedema probably cerebral. He was French and had told me the evening before he had come from Lukla at 2800m in a couple of days. The hut was at 5100m.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy