Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please! Trying to decide between 2 North America options

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all

Well it looks like we have narrowed it down to two options for mid-Feb next year and I was wondering if anyone has been to both and could help us decide. In terms of what we look for / enjoy;

Have trip to US / Canada each year - have been to Vail, Heavenly, Park City, Banff, Whistler, Jackson Hole, Aspen
Loved Park City and been there a couple of times though we are trying to go to different places each year
We are good intermediates - very happy on single diamond blacks, happy on double diamond too
Love ski-ing in the trees
Its more about the ski-ing than the apres - we tend to try and ski from first lift to last...have a drink when we come off the slopes and then dinner later in the evening with a nice bottle of wine...and thats all we need!
Its just two people and we will have a car

The two options we think we have narrowed it down to (though could be convinced otherwise) are

Big Sky (6 nts will try Bridger Bowl for a day ), 2 days snowmobiling in / near west Yellowstone, Sun Valley (3nts). Flights into Bozeman and out of wither Idaho Falls or Boise. I understand that you can fly out of Haileys Sun Valley also but that adds £600 to the car hire cost over the other two airports!!

Other plan is into Denver for Winter Park for 7 nts and then on to Steamboat for four nights flying home out of Hayden back to the UK.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks

Rob[/list]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
darbyrw, We've been to all the places you have Toofy Grin and neither of the two you mention. But if I had to choose it would be the Big Sky trip for me. Have heard plenty about it and it just seems more tempting than Colorado with the flatish easy mountains. The slopes will be a lot emptier too than Colorado. Winter Park is cose to Denver and gets busy after fresh snow and weekends.

Did you ski anywhere else in Utah besides Park City ? If you didnt worth going back there with car and skiing the rest. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bones. thanks for your quick reply. I love Utah we went two years running so we could get round a few of the resorts as well as the three close to Park City. We also skied Alta, Brighton, Snowbird, Solitude, Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. I really enjoyed Snowbasin and to be honest I would go back to Park City but both of us have agreed to keep trying new places each year! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Disclaimer: I work as a part time ski instructor at Copper Mountain Resort in Colorado and have for 10 seasons.

Both of your options are intriguing to me, but I would alter the plan if you choose Colorado.

Big Sky/Moonlight Basin is an incredible area, and is virtually always devoid of crowds. The potential downsides are both weather related: it can be very cold, and snow can be a bit variable. Since you don't care about apres, it may not matter that Big Sky is in the middle of nowhere, but it really is. There's nothing for miles, and the mountain seems to grow up out of the plains surrounding it. If you do go there, however, I can put you in touch with an amazing instructor there if you'd like to spend time with her.

As for Colorado, what Bones says about Winter Park is true, and that can also be true for other Front Range resorts like Breck and Keystone. Copper is the "locals favorite," not only for easy access, but also for the natural division of the terrain. Given that you are primarily blue skiers, I think you'd find that division useful to you, as well. Since I ski there, I'd be happy to give you my local's perspective should you decide to visit Copper. Reading your description, my first thought was that Steamboat would be the best place for you. Its terrain fits your skill level, there is no better tree skiing anywhere, and it's got a real town that is usually pretty quiet, although the food and apres has a few options (like the hot springs!).

If you'd like more details, let me know. I'll keep an eye on this thread...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh thanks for your advice. I may have underplayed our skiing a little (as I tend to) we are happy going through the gates on to expert terrain too though may be lacking in some style! The only really bits of ski-ing that I would avoid is moguls - so once we have decided I may be back in touch re advice on the lessons as could do with some lessons on moguls!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
darbyrw in that case, a bit of OB (the US equivalent of Off Piste for those unfamiliar with the term) is possible at Steamboat with a guide. Recommended.

Copper has its share of steeps and a bit of trees, as well. I absolutely love working there, so I can go on and on. Let me know if you'd like more.

Winter Park has a bit of tree skiing on the Mary Jane/Vasques Ridge side. Mary Jane is the bump haven in Colorado, so if bumps aren't your thing, you might find your terrain choices a bit limited there. You may want to consider a day up to Berthoud Pass if you can find someone to act as your guide.

Let me know if you'd like insights into where to stay, etc. if you choose somewhere in the Front Range. I would suggest you consider staying at Frisco and using the free buses to ski all over Summit County, but that isn't Winter Park...!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssh thanks very much for your feedback..you've got me investigating Copper now!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thumbs up for steamboat..there 2 years ago over xmas for 10 days travelling from uk. one of the worst snow on record when we went but had great skiing although slightly limited due to snow cover. town was great fun.

we will visit again to try and take advantage of the 'champagne' powder .
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big Sky / Bridger and Yellowstone in winter would crap all over Winter Park plus you might bump into occasional snowhead Martin Bell.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would go to Big Sky too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Big Sky/Moonlight combo is a great one, for sure. Some of the terrain off the top of Big Sky is as challenging as anywhere in the world. However, I stand by my point that it's one (admittedly large) resort, and if the weather hasn't cooperated, you have what you have.

In Utah and Colorado, you have choice. You can pick different elevations (Copper is 9,600' at the base, Steamboat is 6,900'), different aspects, and a wider variety (more trees for windy days, more bowl skiing when it just dumps). Yes, I'm biased. I live here. I have skied Big Sky, though, and so hope my thoughts are helpful...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"more tempting than Colorado with the flatish easy mountains."Puzzled

It's apparent you haven't been to Winter Park!

We've skied in over 20 U.S and Canadian resorts and found that WP has some of the toughest, steepest skiing we've come across - some of it bordering on vertical...

We've been 3 times and never been disappointed and I'd recommend giving it a go! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like WP... it's a nice little resort. Lots of other resorts relatively near there too.

*jealous*
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I worked in WP for 2 seasons and it's a great mountain (the town is not too bad either), there's some really nice gladed trees and obviously awesome bumps.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all you advice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy