Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich to St Anton - sli resorts enroute?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

we are driving from Zurich to St Anton but our flight time means that if we drive straight there, not going to get much time on the first day on the piste Smile

Are there any ski resorts near as dam it enroute that we can stop off to make sure we get most of the first afternoon in?

ta
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ok that should read 'ski' and not 'sli' !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only ones require a detour that makes it not worth the faff, and you probably wouldn't save much time anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you take the southern route (A3) you could try Flumserberg for the afternoon. The Gondola up to the resort goes form nearly next to the motorway
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sonnenkopf?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skibums64, go night skiing somewhere. Must be places in the Arlberg that do it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a lift in Zurs that usually runs till half 5
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Montafon area (confusingly one of the villages there is also called St Anton) would be the first area you get to en route and is a slight detour of your route. Further on, just before Stuben is Sonnenkopf as fatbob says, by the village of Klosterle; this has the advantage of using the same pass as St Anton so you buy the pass for your entire trip there. In fact, Stuben is only 15 minutes further on from Klosterle, so you could ski from there too depending on your timing. I'd go for the Sonnenkopf option if it were me, mainly because I keep meaning to ski there but never get around to it. We drove past it at about 3pm last time and decided not to ski, in hindsight that was a serious error because we then spent the entire afternoon and evening in the Murmurle in Stuben... which was a great idea at the time, not a great idea the next day with 30cm of fresh outside and me trying not to vomit on the lift.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what time you land, i would second sonnenkopf and its on the same pass.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
if any make sense, that would be the one. only about 20minutes before St.Anton though. But in hindsight, parking up and sticking boots on and going skiing is going to be quicker than parking up, checking in to hotel and getting sorted there, and then going skiing.
Detour to Bregenzerwald or Montafon would gain you nothing, unless of course you want to do a different area that is a bit off the radar.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do not know how long it takes to drive from Zurich to StA, but by train it is only 2 1/2 hours. Cannot see how it would be worthwhile doing a detour. This http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Zurich.html suggests there are no useful options.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy wrote:
if any make sense, that would be the one. only about 20minutes before St.Anton though. But in hindsight, parking up and sticking boots on and going skiing is going to be quicker than parking up, checking in to hotel and getting sorted there, and then going skiing.

In that case, why not drive straight through to StA, leave everything in the car (or just dump it in the room), and then go skiing?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In fact just drive to stanton check into the hotel and go apres-skiing. (Sonnenkopf is a nice gentle warmer upper too)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go for the extra skiing every time skibums64. Never mind this straight out on the lash approach - you can drink at home....but not ski wink

If you take the southern motorway from Zurich to Austria, the small-ish (but perfectly adequate for a ski on arrival day) Swiss resort of Bad Ragaz/Wangs is only 80 or 90 km from the airport and is near the motorway. St Anton is then perfectly driveable from there. We spent a memorable waist-deep fresh snow day at Bad Ragaz one early December a few years back. See Pizol.com for piste map etc.

Or (for the novelty of somewhere totally different and to tick off another ski-country) you could drive a bit further and ski in Liechtenstein (at Malbun). We skied it on the same trip as Bad Ragaz. Worth a look - but there's a fair drive up a mountain road.

Or further en-route to St Anton, the Montafon resort of Schruns is worth a look. Fairly extensive skiing and easy chairlift access from low-level roadside parking.

Sonnenkopf is a decent area for a blast about - but once you get there you are nearly at St Anton. I'd go for somewhere nearer to Zurich.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks all for your replies.......food for thought!
snow report
Bad Ragaz sounds like a Jamaican musician. I want to visit there now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy