Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

im going go take up skiing ... (after reading mens fitness magazine jan 14 issue)

Poster: A snowHead
I've just scanned through the men's fitness Jan issue and have been taken in by their sale pitch on skiing. I see that back country is the place to be and the skis I need are only £500 and the goggles around £200 a pair. I'm assuming I need a binding (?).
They've also got a piece on jackets which is good. Only another £450 and I should only require a few bits more before I can venture into one of the chute type things I can see in the photo. I'm particularly looking forward to skiing that soft snow really fast on that steep slope. I thought it looked fun . The photo really is good.
The caption reads :
"carving through deep powder on steep slopes can release avalanches, making it a dangerous strategy, but when its a beautiful shot like this is
, ...the outcome its worth the risk" (!)
I'm sold Im booking my holiday .... Hang on .... I've got no money left,m

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-11-13 17:53; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Serves you right for buying a magazine with a guy on the front - that's your first fail right there!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It started a long time ago when i was a confused pubescent .... Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hang on - January Issue are you working on your get your 6 pack back post Festive blowout already?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, .... just my festive blowout ! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I see that the Black Country is the place to be

FIFY
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It just sums up in one edition of one mag all that is wrong. Elitist, backcountry only, and a glib throwaway remark saying its worth the risk for a photo.
The blurb is all about the "sale" of product. The gist is spend the big money on this kit which will let you ski here easily and you can have the photo to prove it.
I know its marketing but I think its an irresponsible strategy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
limegreen1, Absolutely agree.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
limegreen1, nicely done! Sells ads, tho, I guess... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did think recently when reading the ski club magazine article on kit to get started, that if you added up all the gear they suggested you would have spent 000's before you even got near a slope and the list did not even include ski's.

It must put a fair few people off the sport when they read things like that. First time I went as an adult I went to Tk Maxx got everything I needed apart from goggles for £200 and I am still using all of it now 5 years later, so it really does not have to cost the earth.

G
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's wrong with marketing skiing in that way? Personally what inspired me to get into skiing were ski movies, inspiring skiing, huge mountains, cool gear, I was hooked. Would you prefer ski marketing to feature middle aged, slightly overweight piste cruisers from the home counties, wearing their favourite jacket from the year 2000? One, who on earth would pay for such an advert, and two, who would be taken in by it?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
What's wrong with marketing skiing in that way?

Nothing wrong with it but it might make people think it's a dangerous sport that costs thousands to get in to. Although the alternate ski marketing you mention would be very funny I don't think it needs to go to that extreme Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just thought it rather an irresponsible way to sell a "camera". the photos is obviously the dream, the kit advertises the accessibility and your hooked. Who wouldnt be .. It great marketing but the inference that you can buy this and go to where this skier is whilst your mate takes a stunning photo of you, falling off a mounatin or being buried, with the fantastic camera, because the shot will be worth it, is my point.
To a degree its akin to, when people flood into the rental shop after a big snowfall to get the fatties out, as theyve heard the fatties make everywhere accessible as theyre easy to ski ..... and theyre going to at last give that powder a go like they do in all the mags. How many of those get asked re their mountain craft, or get asked if they want a transc , shov prob pack ?
im far from people having to be nannied but there should be / or should there be ?, some onus of responsibility rather than just taking money.

i think next time i will just opt for a "jazz" mag, ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
all mags sell everything that way. Hardly a surprise. I hate it too, but that's marketing. jimmer, they'd struggle to find piste cruisers who are only slightly overweight. wink
snow report
So this was an ad for a camera? I don't get it, surely it's better to say that avalanches are a hazard, rather than not mentioning them at all?

Yes the ski industry glamorises skiing powder over other aspects, possibly more people die because of it, but it's everyone's own decision to go ski that stuff. I don't think many people on rental skis are dying in avalanches though, there's a very strong positive correlation between avalanche education and dying in an avalanche, much more experienced and educated people die than uneducated.

People who enjoy taking risks, are going to take more risks, I do and I have the scars to show where it went wrong, but I don't regret getting sucked in by the marketing at all.
ski holidays
jimmer wrote:
there's a very strong positive correlation between avalanche education and dying in an avalanche, much more experienced and educated people die than uneducated.

Stick that in yer Avi Awareness Course blurb S&R!!
Laughing Laughing
latest report
franzClammer wrote:
jimmer wrote:
there's a very strong positive correlation between avalanche education and dying in an avalanche, much more experienced and educated people die than uneducated.

Stick that in yer Avi Awareness Course blurb S&R!!
Laughing Laughing

I'm not saying that people shouldn't get educated about avalanches, just that the problem he describes of people getting fat hire skis and then dying isn't very prevalent. The obvious reason why more educated people die is that they spend more time in the backcountry and are more likely to push their limits there.
snow report
Quote:

The obvious reason why more educated people die is that they spend more time in the backcountry and are more likely to push their limits there.

Indeed. More world class skiers then middle aged intermediates die or seriously injure themselves whilst tearing downhill at breakneck speed but that doesn't mean the MIAs wouldn't be at greater risk if they did it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy