Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice on Lech.......?
Going for first time in April.
What about the après scene ?
Thanks !! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great skiing, however the town is full of big-hitters, posers, nanny's and small dogs.......stay in Warth, Zurs, Stuben or St Anton is my advice. No desire to stay in Lech, après probably fine but likely pricy and Eurotrash singalong music. Sorry to sound negative towards the town but I've never found it the type of place I'd want to stay, we ski in/ out, folks on the slopes fine but as soon as I hit Lech town I feel like I want to get the heck out. Great place for skiing and walking/ mountain biking in summer, less so as a place I'd choose to stay in winter - even if I had the money!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thee was a land rover showroom on the slopes last time we were there, very posh !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Suggest lunch at Cresta just below Oberlech on the right, great lunch menu, monster cheeseburger! Chilled terrace.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
immer schuss, careful if you're renting kit - last time I went a couple of years ago I paid an eye-watering €234 for 6 days skis-only rental. It's a cartel.

As Markymark29, says apres is conspicuous consumption in the champagne bars - the place is more suited to quiet drinks and dinner in your hotel. That said, it doesn't need to be expensive - there's a very good Spar supermarket for beers / sarnies etc if you're on a budget and the hotels, while not cheap, are lovely and so decent value.

The lift pass covers St Anton so defo take a trip round there for 1 or 2 days. The Warth link is new to me so can't comment on that.

Enjoy - it's unforgettable.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have fond memories of it as a child over several seasons in the late 60s but it was much smaller and quieter then. I've skied it briefly since from St Anton and the slopes are still good - you can ski over to Zurs and back. Although good skiers can ski to St Anton and back off piste with a guide the link to St Anton is usually done by bus. Does Lech still have the skeleton of a local saint on view in the church?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The après can be a bit quiet, Lech isn't as wild as St Anton. On the slopes there's an ice bar http://www2.skiarlberg.at/arl/west/en/winter/w-skigebiet/66b5a740142a26b407a0267cab017a15/66b5a740142a26b407a0267cab03647f and there are a few quiet bars in Oberlech (take the cable car up and the floodlit toboggan run down!). Down in the village there are a few more hotel bars, and a nightclub that will make you queue even if it's empty inside. Don't expect dancing on the tables to dj ötzi - it's more sipping Veuve Clicquot than downing Jaagerbombs. I haven't stayed in Zurs for a few years but I remember it being much quieter than Lech, same for Warth & Stuben. If nightlife is important, stay in St Anton. You'll still be skiing the same area - it's all in the one lift pass.

If nightlife isn't important - then I'd say stay in Lech over Zurs, Zug, Stuben etc. Lovely village, good food, night tobogganing, ice skating

Do the White Ring on a sunny day http://www.skiarlberg.at/arl/west/en/winter/w-skigebiet/66b5a740142a26b407a0267cab0181c8
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Much more civilised than St Anton and it does not need to be expensive, I've had quite a few cheap long weekends there in B&B type accommodation. Fantastic skiing and rarely crowded as many of the wannabes, and posers can't really ski any way. Apres is more civilised too but it is there if you ask where to go! wink

Do try doing the circuit from Lech to Zurs - start by taking the Rüfikopf cable car. Then pick up Blue 38/38a to Zurs, followed by the lifts up to Madlochjoch (easy reds) The route from there down to Zug has now been designated a ski route but it is a fun route and well within most intermediates capability The 2-man chair back into the Lech system is a trip down memory lane Toofy Grin and it gives you the chance to ski the quieter Steinmäder slopes as well before heading back down to Lech.

I'm looking forward to exploring the new area opened up by the link to Warth. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
immer schuss, don't know what sort of skiing you are wanting to do but I've got details of a good female guide whose based there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has over a period of time become my favourite ski resort. Probably as I have got older my ski-ing habits have changed. Not wild apres ski, more quality hotels, good food and good ski-ing. Having been a few times now we have stayed in both Lech and Oberlech both of which have advantages over the other - don't really fancy Zurs or Zug. From a ski-ing perspective always have a day in St Anton/Stuben and this year (if we go) the new link to Warth. Not cheap but not as expensive as say Zermatt and even some of the French resorts. In essence you can do it reasonably cheaply or spend a lot. But then again I'm in my 50s now, ski with my wife and like somewhere that provides a holiday where you can do some ski-ing as well, rather than ski-ing in Sauze, Val D'Isere, Soll etc when I was younger and dafter!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great info ,thanks
Sounds good to me,we are staying BB in the village and it sounds really nice,going end of March for 3 days.
We are intermediates,2 boarders and one ski ( me, ha ha,I have to take a lot of stick ! ) so we hope to do a bit of off piste.
Markymark29,would appreciate that guide info,thanks a lot.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
immer schuss, as you're B&B (and there's 3 of you) I'd advise booking your evening meal in advance each night - the restaurants all get very busy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
immer schuss, you'll love it. Make sure you do the toboggan run from Oberlech. Been to Arlberg around 10 times staying in Oberlech twice. If money was no object I would always go to Lech/Oberlech for a family trip and St Anton for the boys trip. Hotel Montana in Oberlech has the best food I've ever had in my life. Hotel Burg in Oberlech has an ok après scene but nowhere near as good as St Anton
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skihutte Schneggarei at bottom of the run into Lech is a good place for apres.

http://www.schneggarei.at/

Lech is a lovely place.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Couple more questions.....
1.We are proposing to drive from Innsbruck to Lindau to pick a mate up,( we have all day ) and then back to Lech.....?.......any comments/tips ??
2.Can you get the bus back from St Anton after après session ?? !!
Cheers for your help. Very Happy
latest report
1.....very do-able, although why not get your mate to catch the train to St Anton and you can ski most of the day, your mate could ski with you round in St Anton same day? Free car parking at Nassereinbahn.

2.......the Post Bus runs until pretty late I believe, certainly until after Après......guess it depends how hardcore you are going for it! Alternatively if its only a one-off you'd get a taxi but its not cheap, it's a good 20-25 mins over mountain pass so make sure the weather is good or you might get cut off. Suggest re Post Bus you email St Anton tourist info, they'll email you the bus timetable, they are super reliable buses and stick to timetable but I'd suggest heading back about 6.30-7pm latest to avoid getting caught out....... wink
ski holidays
The 92 bus will take you back to Lech, think it's about €5 - careful you don't miss the last one because a taxi will cost €50

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/images/stories/pdf-dateien/fahrplaene-so-wi/sommer2013/Linie_92_Stanton_Lech_150413-141213.pdf
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
immer schuss, don't know what sort of skiing you are wanting to do but I've got details of a good female guide whose based there.

I know this is now a 10 year old post but we are going to lech for the first time in April 2023 and would love contacts of any good guides!
snow report
Anyone got up to date info of how much a taxi from St Anton to Lech is in 2023?
snow conditions
@Kramer, In 2018 I paid 80€ on a Saturday morning when our car broke down, 2 people plus luggage and we had to get around to the station in St Anton from Lech, book in St Anton not the other way around. Could be 100€ now i'd suggest, much more after 18.00.
latest report
@Kramer, Easter 2022 it was 60 Euros from St Anton to Stuben 2 of us with skis/luggage, that's 2/3rds the way, so expect 80/100 Euros as Markymark suggests. Shocked
snow report
Ta everyone. Just trying to work out St Anton vs Lech for end of March, very helpful.
latest report
@Kramer, The past 15 years or so I've tended to ski in the Arlberg round about Easter time as a late season option. I've stayed in all the towns/villages from St Anton - St Christoph - Stuben - Lech - Warth - Zug and frequently had great skiing on slush/fresh/powder/ice/boilerplate. Pistes tend not to be that busy apart from one or two bottlenecks but a lot of these are now minimised by the newer integrated and improved lifts such as Auenfeldjet, Schindler, Madloch and Zugerberg. Whilst snow conditions can be variable in April there is always pretty good skiing especially around Zurs and Warth. St Anton will have greater apres ski choice, more restaurants, bars and stuff to do, Lech could be a tad more expensive for accommodation and trickier/limited for eating out. If you have a car that's a bonus, stay in one place and eat in another. Also consider staying in Stuben, very quiet but with best access to best skiing with the Flexenbahn and Valgefaher lifts at Alpe Rauz.
snow conditions
@skimastaaah, Lech is not that limited for eating out. Plenty of restaurants in all ranges, especially when including Oberlech and Zug, which are easily accessible. You just need to know were to go, and -essential- make reservations.
snow conditions
For me, Lech is the best base in the Arlberg. Accommodation needn't be pricey. You can ignore the glitz if that's an issue. Generally less crowded than the St Anton side. Plenty of options for all levels. Good access to Zurs, Stuben and Warth. I'll be there on the 25th for a week. We have a guide lined up for a couple of days of off piste and/or touring. I don't have guide info. That was arranged by someone else.
Do shop around for rentals. I've had good luck with Skibex. Comparing prices, they are more than competitive and give 10% off for advance online booking.
I have stayed many times in Stuben, and I like to for its location and access to the Albona. But it is quiet.
snow report
@choucas, not just for you Lech is the best base. There is a reason why prices in Lech are slightly above St.Anton.... Very Happy
snow report
@Langerzug, Agreed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy