Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in zell am see

Poster: A snowHead
So following on from my where to go this Xmas I have booked zell am zee for the week of the 21st December. We are both complete beginners and are going half board in the hotel. Any tips, recommendations of things to see or do and restaurants, pubs etc? Would like an afternoon spa if possible? Have ski school booked for each morning
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Xmasski, It's some years since I was there, but Crazy Daisy in town was always a popular apres-ski venue. Here's a video from YouTube:

http://youtube.com/v/TGDELaHKk1o

Shocked Laughing

Personally I preferred the smaller quieter B-17 bar, see reviews here
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've only ever been a summer visitor to Zell, but I would have thought that midnight mass in the ancient church by the lake would be a pretty memorable event.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Xmasski,

I've never been during Xmas - however I gather that most celebrations are on Christmas Eve not on the day.

There is a big Spa outside Zell near Kaprun (Taurn Spa)- you'll need to catch the bus to get there - it's not far. Look at the Z-A-S tourist website http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/region/tauernspa-kaprun.
If that doesn't appeal ther's a good swimming pool with sauna (beware though if you are shy as little clothing is worn in Austrian saunas!!). Also there is an icerink next door to the pool.

There is a great Irish bar in town - A bItte of Irish. They show premier league footy if that's of interest. No food offered though.

Most of the hotels have restaurants and all seem to be good. My favourite is the Steinerwirt - good old traditional Austrian fare. For a more informal meal I like the Kupferkessel. So far I haven't had a bad meal in Zell.

There are also plenty of good restaurants on the mountain though not so great near the nursery slopes.

As far as apres ski goes I'll let others chip in - not really my scene!

Have a great time there. But beware it's easy to become obsessed with skiing. Just look at this forum and see all us sad cases!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone sounds good! Really looking forward to it and no doubt I will become obsessed!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Xmasski, You've no idea.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As complete beginners you'll spend most of the week going where your instructors take you, which is no bad thing. Usually beginner slopes are low down but one of the good things about Zell is that you can go up to pretty much the highest point on the City Xpress Gondola. Big advantage of the gondola over a chair is that you can come back down on it too! The top area is pretty flat so you should be able to find something to ski there. Or just go up after lessons to enjoy the scenery and the hot chocolate.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Xmasski,

We (me and the fiance at the time - now wife) went to Zell am See Feb 2012. She was a complete beginner and it was my second ski trip. The Ski School is excellent and highly recommended - can't recommend it highly enough. She had 5 days of beginner lessons, I had 5 days of intermediate lessons. After this 6 days she was hooked on skiing!

We stayed in the Tirolerhof Hotel - can't recommend it highly enough. They have a great spa as well, which I think can be used by non-guests for a visitors fee. The hotel is a bit pricey and as it was kind of a treat, but I did not feel ripped off at all. Good value for money.

Positives about the resort:
Beautiful town
Pretty good Apres - lively, but not bonkers
Not expensive - think a pint would be around Euro 3.20
Fairly easy to get to
People are very friendly
Easy to get up the mountain (but there is a flipside)

Negatives
Beginners can't ski down to the village - pretty much all the runs ending in the village are black runs. You can get down fairly far down with a blue, but the last section (100m) is then black.
You need to take the ski bus from the village to the ski school training area.
Not particularly high up, so snow could be a bit iffy - however, you can always then take the bus to Kaprun and go up the glacier...

Overall it is an awesome village and I can only imagine how great it would be over Christmas! Jealous...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They put loads of pretty lights up for Christmas lights and a big tree. There is a little Christmas market and the town has loads going on with great food and great cakes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi I was in Zell in Janaury this year and had a great time. Its such a lovely town and I loved the skiing. We were also there a few years ago for Christmas and as has been mentioned a lot of the festivities are on Christmas Eve. Check with your hotel about the celebrations by the lake - these are on Christmas Eve and worth going along to. In terms of après we liked the Gin House and the little hut by at the bottom of the slope just by the Gondola. Once piece of advice I was given which really helped make the holiday was to hire a locker at the intersport shop at the gondola. It means that you don't have to lug your skis and boots from the town - you can book them online and I was glad we did as when we got there in January they were all sold out. Hope you have a great time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You dont have to take the ski bus from village to ski area? If you hire your ski gear at intersport at the City Express ,you can get the lift up to ski school at the middle station . I agree the ski school is excellent .You will love Zellamsee.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alicia, he ski school we had started at the Schmittenhoe lift so you had to bus up to the bottom station
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The city express is the closest lift and if you are on ski school will be the one you will use.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
madlondoner, nope the one we used started at the nursery slope at the top if the schmittenhoe.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
madlondoner, There's more than one ski school in Zell, each with a different meeting place. They meet at the top of the City Express, at the base of the Schmittenhohe runs (so a bus needed from town) or over by the Areitbahn (another bus ride away).
latest report
We learnt to ski in Zel 20 years ago and went back the year after but we haven't returned mainly because its a small resort but there's plenty to go at for beginners.
The ski school was very enjoyable and we progressed very quickly.

Beware of the short black run down to the village, it gets very churned up at the end of the day, I can't remember exactly where it was but if you want to get down to the main village without a walk, you can't avoid it unless things have changed since then.

The lake at night is very romantic.

Enjoy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy