Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CHATEL TO CHAM

Poster: A snowHead
AM STAYING IN CHATEL LAST WEEK IN FEB IS IT VIABLE IN TERMS OFF COST AND TIME TO MAKE A 1 DAY TRIP TO CHAM TO SKI THE VB I WILL BE RENTING A CAR FOR THE WEEK.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, early start would be needed. Good Idea to book guide first. Cost, lift pass 54euro (2013) guide, if you share aprox, 75-100euro. Money well spent.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i have to say, for one day I dont think i'd want to drive all the way to/from chatel. I've yet to do that actual drive (got to do it this season), but i've a feeling that its gona be a real pain in the ar$e Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Google reckon 90 minutes assuming pas de Morgins and col des Montets are open which isn't too terrible although road conditions could be "challenging" for most of the journey.

2 hours going via Morzine.

Makes for a long, tiring day.

But at least YOU WOULDN'T NEED TO SHOUT AT YOUR FRIENDS IN CHAMONIX Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cefnycoed, The answer to your question is no it's not viable on either score.

Costs
To guarantee travel access you will need to hire a 4x4 = double/triple cost of a car. Region of € 610
Route -via Morzine or Via Martigny. Wjhichever route, it's mountain driving and expect 25-30 mpg at best so that's 25-30euros a day in fuel
Time at best it's during the busy period - 2 hours would be a dream drive during this period. If the snow is really good double the time and add an hour. So maybe 2 hours each way -maybe 5
Sad

In simple terms it would be cheaper and more viable to hire a car, drive to Chamonix and add the 500 or 600 Euro's you've saved on fuel and cars to stay somewhere nearer.

The bad news is that you'd have between 4 and 10 hours a day more time to spend in the bar.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pretty sure you can count out the col du montets though, I wont be going that way, i'll be heading through abondance (sp?)

If the col du montets is open and totally clear i'd wonder how worth the journey was going to be as it would probably signify no fresh snow up the midi anyway Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
book transfer from chatel to geneva, sleep in airport, get early transfer to cham, go up the midi Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eddiethebus, I like your lateral thinking. I wouldn't fancy sleeping at or in the airport.

Jivebaby, I don't think you'd need a 4x4 but you might find yourself putting chains on if there's nice valley level snow. I'm not sure I understand the rest of your post snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, I've made the assumption that cefnycoed, is hoping for a week of powder heaven - ergo a metre of snow every night - I take your point inasmuch as I'd misread his requirement as daily trip rather than a one off trip, which of course moves my excellent advice to one side as it clearly refers to a different set of circumstances and he can choose his day when the forecast is kind for driving. Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
never leave snow to find snow, simples Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, i am also liking your thinking.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, i am also liking your thinking.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies i think we will give it a miss for this season
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cefnycoed, are you stuck with that week?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes, unfortunatley its half term week in our area and our oldest boy cant miss school it always been jan ski trips up until now
latest report
What about hiring a local guide to bring you to Chamonix (in his car), bring you down VB, and back to Chatel? If there's a few of you then might work? Maybe wouldn't work at all but just another angle on it
ski holidays
I did the Chatel-Cham day trip a couple of years ago. Went via Abondance, Col du Corbier, Les Gets, Cluses, Chamonix. Took about 2 hours as I recall.

If you have a hire car the cost element is more or less irrelevant and time is feasible but it makes it a long day if you are not used to mountain roads in winter.

There are a couple of Guides in the Abondance valley who do day trips to the VB.
snow report
what kitenski says.

I drove the CdC and the route from Les Gets up and over to Cluses in the summer, and those are pretty exciting roads - obviously I was giving it on dry roads, but cant imagine the winter being any less 'spirited' in other ways. Even the highway back from Cham to the valley has some good turns and drops to one side that could freak out a nervous passenger (like my wife).

Personally I would stay in Chatel, and book a long weekend to go to Cham another time.
snow report
peanuthead, there are guides based in Chatel?
snow conditions
I have no idea, but I reckon any guide in that vicinity would be familiar with VB.

I assume the major issue would be having to have guide booked in advance that time of year and VB possibly being a non-runner due to weather on the day, but if so the guide can just bring you somewhere else
snow report
peanuthead, i must confess that I know of no guides in the PDS, probs 'cos they're are no glaciers. I'm sure they exist though. I'd have thought the biggest difficulty, if they do exist, is persuading them to drive you to Cham.
snow conditions
under a new name, probably won't work then. I have not been to PDS, but in Flaine you do see lots of ads around for VB trips. 90 minutes (?) Trip is kinda far, but I think you should still be able to get there, do VB, and be back by 430 or 5, so some guides might be happy to do the drive as part of the full-day. Will probably be expecting you to have your hands of your pockets when they pull into petrol station though!
snow report
All very informative,thanks,probally go for a mini break late march early aprill when hopefully the weather will be better could be a long way to go and find the midi shut due to high winds.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy