Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom Skis for non-racer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice regarding some new skis this season. I have an old beat up pair that I will use for the park when I feel like it but what I am looking for are some slalom style piste skis.

I am 18, male and around 168cm and 60kg (132lbs). I am an advanced skier comfortable on any piste (reasonably confident off piste as well but I'm not sure that's relevant). I was wondering what I should really be looking for seeing as I'm not going to be racing but I like the short radius skis. I used a pair of Salomon 3V powerlines (http://skis.findthebest.com/l/1492/2013-Salomon-3V-Race-Powerline-Z14-Speed) from a rental shop for a couple of days last year and really liked the kick that they gave you out of the end of each turn.

So basically,

1) Should I be looking for slalom race skis if I am not planning on doing any racing?

2) Are GS skis (or another type) more appropriate for general piste skiing?

3) Any recommendations?

Cheers all,

Joe
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jobomoore, ho ho a nice can of worms.

One of the most fun pairs of skis I have had expired last year, Nordica Dobermann SL-R - the FIS pair. Awesome, just awesome. More fun than a sackful of horny badgers on a dark night with a foxy ferret. Yes. Go as hardcore as you can (i.e. full bore FIS etc.) You will not regret.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Joe,

Start here then, the 170 length will be 15 m Radius, longer than a slalom but more stable at higher speed.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/x-race---race-plate-xx.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the encouragement. It just seemed a bit much going for the 'hardcore' skis. Would a length in the range 160-165 be best? Also how short a radius can I comfortably go. I was thinking in the 11-12 region.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jobomoore, Full core FIS slalom skis are the most fun you can have with your cloths on, while on Piste. The drawback is at really high speed stability can be challenging, its not what they are designed for. On the up side they are so quick underfoot and so much fun when you are working them properly the reward for getting it right is super.

If you think you can ski them and have the ability go for it
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jobomoore, unless you know some racers you'll probably struggle to get your hands on real race skis anyway (no matter what the graphics say!), but you should have plenty of fun on the stiffer end of the retail skis anyway.

Most people would say a cheater gs ski (circa 15-20m radius) is more appropriate for 'general' use - bit more stable at speed, less tiring constantly turning - but that doesn't mean they'd be better for you.

Prolly the most fun you'll have on an icy black!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Played on Atomic GS (non FIS), and loved them. Real handful in bumps though. Then played on Salomon GS (again non FIS), forget if that's 2V or 3V?, and they were nearly as much fun.

Then last yr managed to play on Stöckli SL (FIS, I believe - Ronald can confirm exactly what they were), and really really liked 'em, and I know I never managed to get anything like their potential out of them. Easily the best ski I've skied, and the first I went straight online to check out prices and suppliers. I'd never justify FIS stock, but certainly very very tempted to get some short radius consumer/retail grade SL "toys".

Depends what you want to do... get around clocking up piste miles, or playing? Pristine corduroy or cut up bumps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, There is always http://www.skizog.co.uk/ for 2nd hand race kit!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fattes13, 203 RD Super G skis for £150?! Very tempted to scare myself witless! Would prolly need stiffer than 120 boots to drive real RD skis though?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, & Space, lots and lots of Space!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jobomoore, if you you are looking for some 'hardcore' slalom skis as you put it, i will be shifting a set of atomics soon.
They are 165cm and are pretty much as intense as it can get.
They are straight from a factory and came originally from a french racer.

I can 100% clarify what is written above- if you get the technique right they are unbeleivable skis, and the satisfaction is something else. It is whether younare willing to put the effort in though bevause you really have to work them!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hired some standard Atomic double decker SLs for a day last year and had so much fun on them after being on much fatter skis for many years. I managed to find a pair of SL12's going cheap from someone who gave up amateur racing, there are some real second hand bargains to be had.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure if you'd be interested but I'm selling off a SL setup that might suit you. No worries if not.

As some other people have mentioned they are so, so much fun but I never really seem to use them as piste days I'll usually mess around in the park too.

Storm Inferno 165cm:
Radius 12.6
Profile 116 65 101
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2377939&highlight=#2377939
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy