Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier - your thoughts please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Well my husband and I got a phone call this morning from a company who are based in Serre Chevalier to tell us we had won a weeks ski holiday. We had filled out a card at their stand at the Ski and Snow Board Show. The prize is for a weeks B&B accomodation, ski passes, ski hire, private tuition and tickest for the thermal spa.

We hadn't really considered this area - this will be our first time skiing on the mountain (we have learnt to ski to parallel turns level at the SnowDome) and as we will still have to pay for our flights and food we are undecidied as to whether this is the deal for us or whether we should pass the prize on to the next couple and go somewhere else more suited to us as first timers.

One concern I have is that the runs are not going to be very wide and they will be mainly blues and reds which we may not be ready for.Any feedback or advice from anyone who has been to the Hotel Plein Sud in Chantemerle and anyone who has skied in this area would be gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tuftmuppet,
Serre Chevalier is one of my favorite resorts, it has excellent runs for beginners though not always back down to the resort where 'downloading' may be necessary. Personally I would jump at it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
not sure if its good enough reason to pass an (almost) free ski holiday, its not the most beginner friendly you could pick, but it will be fine. , staying at chantmerle you do better by going directly up to the top where there are numerous blue runs that are reasonably wide.

the main run down into chatemerle is a black, so I would avoid that - there is a green run that winds down next to/crossing it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tuftmuppet, you lucky thing! Definitely go. Your prize includes private tuition so you can absolutely sure that your instructor will know where to take you, given what you have done so far. Just come down in the lift; problem solved! I often do that anyway - home runs at the end of the day are often not worth the bother.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can ski down to Chantermerle easily, there is a winding run which goes to the sides of the main steep route, which is very easy. It can get a bit icy in places, and windswept on the steeper routes, but the green down to Chantermerle is dead easy. I did it after a carafe of white wine once which I had at lunchtime because the weather was so bad that I decided not to ski at all. I had an enormous tartoueflette and a litre of wine, and then skied down the green route to Chantermerle. Luckily, I was more in control than most of the beginners taking this route.

Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That sounds like a brilliant deal. Yes you'll have to pay for the flights and food, but if you pass up on this you'll have to pay for flights, transfers, accommodation, food, ski pass, tuition (and private tuition doesn't come cheap), equipment hire. The private tuition will mean you'll progress really quickly. You should be ready for blues early in the week, and with a bit of luck your private tutor will show you some suitable reds towards the end of the week. You may quite quickly find that you the blues are easier than the greens, as the greens are often mountain roads, that turn into narrow icy trails, especially when they have loads of traffic. Go for it!!

SM.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tuftmuppet, go. No question.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How lovely! We stayed at that hotel this year, and it was absolutely superb. I'd be emailing them to ask how much to upgrade to include dinner - the chef is formerly of a Michelin star establishment, apparently.

Yes, the skiing is challenging here - as a whole - but there are plenty of good open areas for you to develop your confidence in.

Hopefully your tuition will be with Darren Turner - he is brilliant!

Enjoy your trip!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies we've decided to go for it! I'll let you know how it goes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tuftmuppet, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Nice prize and glad you decided to go for it.

I learnt to ski in Serre Che (and have been back on four more trips, since) and there are some good options above Chantemerle for beginners (Serre Ratier and above at Grand Alpe) with gentle green runs aimed at complete beginners, though I am sure that you will quickly progress - Vallons from Grand Alpe back down to Serre Ratier always sticks in my mind. A really pleasant blue run back down through the trees and reasonably wide.

From the chair that takes you to Grand Alpe, take the blue Genepi to the right and there is a really pleasant natural bowl with some very wide blue pistes that are great for practicing technique etc.

I'd agree with the general observation above that the greens can be trickier than the blues - especially the long Briance back down to Chantemerle which can be awful towards the end of the day, especially if you're tired. Plus, it crosses the Luc Alphand black run down and might not be for the feint-hearted. My advice? Take the telecabin down - nowt wrong with that IMHO.

May also be worth looking at the (free with your ski pass) valley bus and heading to Monetier where there are some great confidence-building, reasonably long and wide blues.

I'm sure you'll have a great time - it is a terrific area. Maybe not a party resort - more traditional, but there is life to be found.

Fire away with any specific questions - there are some real Serre Che fans on here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lucky you winning a holiday!

We went to SerreChe a few years ago with beginners/near beginners and there are plenty of nice wide, easy runs for you to try out.

The green above Frejus (above Villeneuve village) is wide and a reasonable length, great for repeat runs to build confidence, with not many other/faster skiers.

There are also a few nice greens and blue at the top of the mountain about Chantemerle, such as those next to the boarder cross (wide, no drops but does get through traffic) and Vallons (amazing views but not for those nervous of drops, as it is a piste along a ridge). There are lots of longer greens and more challenging blues for you to progress to, and as you've already had lessons in the UK, you may be suprised at how well you adjust to mountain skiing.

We found the quality of instruction pretty good in resort, and your instructor will suggest pistes suited to your level. Enjoy!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tuftmuppet, have you already been on your trip or are you still yet to go now?
I'm interested to see if you enjoyed it? I bet you'll both be pro's when you return! Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great prize in a great resort. Great choice of runs. If you can try and ski across to Monetier - great runs across and usually a lot quieter than the other areas. Found the runs back across tricky but that was mainly due to visibility as it started snowing fairly heavily. Lots of good runs to build confidence. For something different try the thermal baths at Monetier. Great to rest your aching limbs in a thermal pool whilst looking at the mountains.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all

No we go on the *th feb so I'll be sure to let you know how we got on Odinwrath. When were you there Alan?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last Feb - Half Term. Only my 2nd ski holiday - found it a great resort as a novice aiming to improve. Lessons were very good and by the end of the week was happy going down any run apart from the black which we done from halfway with our instructor.
snow report
Last Feb - Half Term. Only my 2nd ski holiday - found it a great resort as a novice aiming to improve. Lessons were very good and by the end of the week was happy going down any run apart from the black which we done from halfway with our instructor.
snow conditions
Another recommendation for the thermal baths at Monetier. The best way to spend half a day at the end of the holiday if you have a late flight, makes aching limbs feel much more human.

The big bowl above Grand Alpe is great for beginners, nice easy runs (some green, some blue) yet much more interesting and beautiful than the usual nursery slopes by the village you find in pretty much all ski resorts. I second carettam that the Vallon run right from the top there is particularly good - a lovely cruise and the view really is that good.

If you can already ski parallel and want to progress to something a little steeper, the two runs of the Aiguillette lift are great: they're both wide red pistes that while quite steep overall don't have any scary particularly steep sections (except the top of the Aiguillette run), and both usually don't have many people on them as they're tucked off the main runs between the villages.

I love Serre Chevalier so much last year that after a few years of always going somewhere different I'm going back this year.
snow conditions
Drogue makes some great suggestions. Some of the reds around monetier through the tree line are not ultra challenging and are fairly wide to enable progression.
latest report
Wow..... Can't believe you would even think not to go, Serre Chev is brilliant. My son did a season out there
working at the Grand Aigle (before it became posh!!) and we visited three times and spent much apres at the "Grotte". Loads of skiing for all abilities, you will have a ball. Very jealous have a great time.
snow report
[
If you can already ski parallel and want to progress to something a little steeper, the two runs of the Aiguillette lift are great: they're both wide red pistes that while quite steep overall don't have any scary particularly steep sections (except the top of the Aiguillette run), and both usually don't have many people on them as they're tucked off the main runs between the villages.

I remember going to serre che probably 21 years ago when as a 22 year old it was my first week on snow and my mates said come out on this trip - we were staying in ADH. I lost a ski at the top of this run and slid to the bottom of the steep bit. I had a couple of tumbles that day- Luc Alphand 4 or 5 times. I used to be brave and foolish.
ski holidays
Perfect place to go - we went there for our first ski trip and loved it!

Trip report: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995402

chemistry
latest report
Don't miss the hot baths at Monetier to ease your tired limbs!

If you want lessons whilst you are there contact Gavin at New Gen Ski School

Serre Chevalier is a great resort - there is an easy bus service up and down the valley included in your lift pass so even as a relative beginner you can ski across the whole of the resort without worrying whether you'll be able to get back - simply go down to the nearest village in the valley and get the bus back if you need to.

Briancon beautiful old town if you fancy a break from the skiing.
ski holidays
We're out there this SUnday for a week, our first time in this resort. From all the reports we are looking forward to it. I was about to ask for ski lesson recommendations, but there is one above so we will probably try New Gen and Gavin.
snow report
Serre Chevalier is a great resort, something for everyone! The Casse de Bouef is one of my favourite runs anywhere.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy