Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Living in motorhome in Alp D'huez advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

In Feb me and my boyfriend are bringing our converted van to Alp D'huez (that's the plan at the mo).
We've been in touch with the tourist info who say that you can't reserve a place and it's 10 euros for parking and water.

I wondered if anyone had had a motorhome experience in Alp D'Huez - we'd love to have a chat with you.

We'd also like any one who has lived in a motorhome for the winter season for free to get in touch.

Thank you

Caroline
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Burks, Welcome to snowHead

Might be worth having a look at this site - http://www.motorhomeski.com/ specifically - http://www.motorhomeski.com/places-to-stay/france/southern-alps/alpe-dhuez
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Burks, have a great time, that's on my bucket list! You'll need a dog with a bandanna too don't forget, trust you've got dreads, these are obligatory.

Take plenty of warm blankets for those -30C nights.

One other point how do you get wifi? Often wondered how this works. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey
Thanks for replying Smile
yeah have checked out those sites. Some of the info is out of date. The info for Alp D'Huez said it was free parking - but alas that is not true!
Unfortunately no pooch as I think it's a bit unfair leaving them all day whilst boarding!
As for keeping warm, we just fitted out woodburner in to the van - it pumps out a lot of heat!
Wi fi - we won't be expecting to have wi fi in the van but will just head to internet cafe to do emails and stuff.

Caroline
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you haven't got winter tyres make sure you take chains if you want to be allowed up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh yeah will do. My partner's spent the last 8 seasons in the Alps so we're all clued up when it comes to that sort of thing. Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To ensure that you blend in Burks, your van will need to look something like this wink:

Quote:
As for keeping warm, we just fitted out woodburner in to the van
Is that safe - especially if the installation is a DIY affair? As campers, we've seen a fair bit of publicity in the last year or so about camping-related deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning (warning posters on campsites etc). Think you'd best start by checking out the following two articles:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9688902/Wood-burning-stoves-can-cause-lethal-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-warns-HPA.html

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/camping-safety/carbon-monoxide-poisoning/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good luck, whilst camping in our caravan in the snowy Alps we've met plenty of folks who'd done whole season in a motor home for many years! The ones we met generally chose to book into a caravan site for a couple nights every now and then to take advantage of the better facilities/washing machines etc However, by default we would not have met those who did whole seasons in motor home aires but we heard of plenty that did!

I have no idea how a wood burner could safely work in a camper but I have no idea about lots of things Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guys, check this out - this is our inspiration and what we're currently building.
www.rusticcampers.co.uk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gosh, looks lovely but isn`t all that wood rather heavy?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello, yes theirs would be very heavy. We've used it as inspiration but have used much lighter materials such as ply and pine. Once it's done I'll send photos Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Here is a picture of the van I used in Tignes les Boisses free car park. I parked in Alp d'huez and Les deux Alps for a few nights. I went to the campervan area in Alp d'huez and it was less crowded (in terms of vehicles parked there) and was well hidden from the main thoroughfare. I do not think they were charging at that time, but it is difficult to tell. I did not park in that area though, as I was only there for a weekend. I parked across the road from some bars.

Both Alp d'huez and Les deux alps have steep windy hills to climb, and to get to the campervan area in Apl d'huez would require some fairly good driving in anything other than a small van.

My van was particularly useful for parking where no other vans could park (roof lower than 2m so could get into most car parks and heated underground parks too).

It is best not to park and stay too long, as everything will freeze up and never get a chance to thaw out properly. Of course, most people run their engines at night for a few hours to boost their heating systems.

A catalytic gas fire is probably the safest and longest lasting low noise heater. They are fitted in most winter vans. You can get a Coleman black cat for a good price (I have one spare), and just screw on a gas canister which lasts about 8 hours with 1kw heat. There is no open flame with a catalytic gas heater. It is enough to keep the temperature at around 0C on those really cold nights. It needs some ventilation system though. I put one of those gas flues on the side of the van, which allowed the smelly hot air out, and also sucked in cold air which got heated by the hot flue.

I had a carbon monoxide alarm in the van, and a fire extinguisher. As well as a fire blanket.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1793776&highlight=timeout+2005#1793776
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

This is the inside of the red van above. The black cat is attached to the front of the paraffin heater under the flue which goes out the side of the van.

I did not like driving with the paraffin heater in the back of the van. (I had to take the paraffin cartridge out of the heater as the shaking would make it leak)

I do not recommend this, and I am fairly sure it is illegal. However, I am also fairly sure it takes place in the campervan in car parks in the Alps.

NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would a yacht style diesel fueled heater not be suitable - subject to the usual caveats on venting fumes etc. ??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have never been on a yacht with one, but I suspect that if they can withstand the rocking to and fro of a yacht at sea then they would be able to take the back of a van. If they are diesel, then maybe they could be connected straight to the diesel tank of the van. On second thoughts, it is probably a good idea to keep a safe distance between any fire and the diesel (or petrol) tank of a vehicle. The back of a van is about as far as possible from the tank.
ski holidays
I have lit the parrafin heater tonight, as I have some 4 litre tubs of parrafin from previous years that need using up. I put it in the chimney stack so the fumes get extracted up the chimney.

It brings back happy memories....
ski holidays
Have a look on https://www.winterised.com blog / website / advice from seasoned winter motorhomers - don't know if they'll have specifics on your plans but might be a few useful ideas / pointers
snow report
Quote:

Would a yacht style diesel fueled heater not be suitable - subject to the usual caveats on venting fumes etc. ??

I think Eberspacher diesel heaters are already quite widely used in caravans etc
ski holidays
Eberspacher and Webasto are the quality ones but nearly a grand, apparently the Chinese copies are pretty good for a little over £100. Externally mounted so no fume issues but a bit noisy.

The aire at ADH used to be quite extensive and took about 50 vans but that has closed and the new spot only takes a few.

Get the van on a weighbridge; my neighbour converted his Iveco van using timber and it was overweight with no water, no food, no gear and no occupants! (big 7.3m van for 3.5t though).

Ps. Is there anywhere to get wood in ADH? We met a guy with a wood burner in his VW years ago at the spot @Bigtipper mentioned in Tignes and he was out every day after riding collecting sticks in the woods.
ski holidays
Quote:

Externally mounted so no fume issues but a bit noisy.

Yes. We have one on the boat I sail - it's fine using it out on a mooring, or anchored, but it's embarrassingly noisy in a marina, and one is also conscious of inflicting fumes on the neighbours. A wood burner sounds mad, and any van-living skiers with a wood burner would need to pray for very little snow if they plan to gather sticks in the woods. My nephew had a socking great coffee machine in his (quite small) van - that was mad, too! A woman I know who has built her own steel boat has a compost toilet. And a cat.
ski holidays
One would hope that the original poster has thawed out now. This thread dates back to 2013.
snow report
@andy n netty, I looked through the list of 15 essential items required for your motorhome trip. The items I took on that list were

2. Snow chains
3. Screen cover (self made cut to size using insulation bubble wrap and only used on the inside of the van)
4. Snow shovel
7. Water containers. Flasks are useful! Particularly for storing hot water when you have boiled it, for later use like washing up and coffee.
8. Grey water catch : A 5l petrol can and a large funnel.
11. several tool kits, especially spare electrical items and wires and connections, multimeter
15. heavy duty winter electric cable

The rest of the items I considered non essential.

Winter tyres are probably not essential, especially if you have new well treaded tyres and a heavy enough vehicle. On the other hand chains are essential, and I used them whenever I might have got away with snow tyres. Rubber floor mats, is this a joke? Generators are a waste of space. Your engine is a generator. Run the engine and charge a leisure battery, and heat the van. Slightly more expensive on fuel, but saves a lot of space and inconvenience in the van. Hair dryer? Are you kidding, it uses up far too much electricity. Use a towel. Every garage in the alps will sell cheap appropriate screen wash. Why carry it with you, when it will be cheaper to buy it there? Old snowboard? I ski! Extendable brush? - come on how is that essential?

I had an electric heater. 1kw blower. I used it to really thaw out the van when I had free electricity. Yes, there were places which give you free electricity. Probably no longer the case.

Tow rope. I carried tow rope, but must admit I would only have used it to help someone else out. I also had jump leads, which I only used to jump start someone elses car. I had to get a professional once to tow my van in order to bump start it, and he did not need my tow rope. I would go along with the tow rope, no need for it.

I did carry extra anti-freeze, specifically for low temperatures, because my van kept overheating driving up steep inclines. It sometimes required a top up, and you really need it there and then rather than when you get to a garage.
latest report
Been doing some calculations on prices of 4 litre parrfin. I purchased some for £2.75 a litre, which is a lot more expensive that heating kerosine which is delivered to your tank. (about 2.75x currently)

The parrafin heater delivers 3kw of heat for about 14 hours on a full tank. (4 litres) This is about 26p per kwh, cheaper than an electric fire if my calculations are correct.

I think 14 hours use is incorrect, and might be closer to 12 in reality. This would make it equivalent to eletricity prices at 30p per unit.

In previous years electricity was much cheaper, but parrafin (sold by the 4l tubs) has not increased in price as much. (usually it is about £2 a litre before coronovirus)

I think the reason for the disparity, is that most of the cost of the parrafin sold by tubs is the packaging and retailer costs. (rather than the paraffin itself)
snow report
My boat has a Wallas diesel hob which works off the main diesel tank. They also make a combined heater and hob, made for vans - seems a sensible solution
https://www.kuranda.co.uk/product-category/wallas/wallas-diesel-hobs-and-ovens/
snow report
@boredsurfin, looks like a good idea, if you live in a diesel van.
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
Tow rope. I carried tow rope, but must admit I would only have used it to help someone else out. I also had jump leads, which I only used to jump start someone elses car.

Jump leads are really useful. I've twice had to jump my car after the battery went flat. My and the wifes car both have new jump leads in the boot.

I would like a whinch too Happy. Could have used that a few times.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy