Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walkie talkie?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

A newbie to Snowheads, 47 and only just about to go on my 4th ski holiday, late starter which I regret but loving it in equal measure!

My better half and I are at different levels when taking lessons and despite planning to meet up for lunch where poss. and after lessons, we struggle to find each other. It has reached the point where she is saying she may not come next year (we are part of a large group) as she is not seeing much of me. Dangerous position so I want to sort it and last year I saw some with walkie talkies, they were sailors who had some 'proper gear' I was told.

Have looked on here and elsewhere and it seems if you want a 'proper one' you need to get one and then mod it (e.g. Intek MT5050) but I am no great shakes with a soldering iron.

Posts on these things are old, so what is the present day thinking and is there one out there which you can buy over the counter and will do a damn good job, subject to us being on other side of mountain?

Off to the Milky Way btw in January.

Hope you can help,

Cheers, Mark
Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest it takes an awful lot of "hello, where are you?" phone calls before you've spent more than a walkie talkie.

And that was before the EU took action on roaming charges.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads!

There was a fairly recent thread on here about walkie-talkies that is worth searching for. My personal view is that you are far better off with a mobile phone. I'm sure you will carry one anyway. WT's tend not to work on different sides of the mountain. They are yet another bit of kit to learn, charge, and lug around with you. I know that's not the answer you wanted and won't satisfy the 'kit itch' but if I were you, spend the money on private lessons for the two of you together or a new ski jacket for the wife Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tend to agree with foxtrotzulu, unless you spend a lot of time skiing far enough apart to require a radio, just use a mobile phone. The reception will be clearer, and I guess you've got one already.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a couple of Motorola PMR radios which work fine in a short range, but if you have a peak between you, or you're more than a mile apart in the mountains they are all but useless. I tend to use them only when skiing in a group, with one with the leader and one with the back-marker.

The comments about phones are valid, the cost of a few calls is far cheaper than the price of a radio, but that is assuming you can get a signal. Granted, most resorts I've been to that's not a problem, but it would be a real pain in the ass if you eschewed buying a radio in favour of a phone only to find out that there's no, or a poor signal.

Another thing to consider is battery life. For the radio to be useful while skiing it really needs to be clipped onto a rucksack strap or something otherwise it's quite possible you won't hear it through layers of jacket and whatnot. However, doing that also really kills the battery life as they don't like being cold. The alternative is to get a radio that supports a headset, which aren't uncommon, but then you do risk looking like a bit of a plank with a mic boom or throat mic on. Less obvious when wearing a helmet but still obvious.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 31-10-13 15:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anybody tried one of those fancy throat mic thingies?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Anybody tried one of those fancy throat mic thingies?

Yes, not very successful - quite muffled. Now use noise cancelling, helmet mounted boom mics. Great for talking on the move, coordinating filming and powder hunting.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

subject to us being on other side of mountain?

if you mean "despite our being on different sides of the mountain", they won't work. Line of sight only. We usually use mobile phones, sticking to texts as much as possible.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If we stay with perfectly legal sort of advices, then yes line of sight, not much garbage on frequencies and stuff like this are required. If being a bit less legal doesn't bother you, then there's few options, where line of sight is not required. And considering you probably won't be chatting on radios all day long, I wouldn't worry about this legal part too much Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A quick text to say which hut/lift you will be at and when works for me with meeting up with friends. Much easier in the digital age.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many thanks for all the input. The overall sense coming through is to stick with mobiles. That has been an issue in previous years but even modded walkies have limitations with them there mountains getting in the way! I still have a bigger picture of the boss not coming if we don't get together more though so I think we shall have a couple/few days of skiing in groups, with an agreed meeting point after and then the rest as half days with joint skiing pm. I'll be going a lot slower etc but on the very odd moment I could tear myself off the slope, I did enjoy the social side too Laughing
Have also emailed a couple of mates to see if they fancy a week away, so I'll get my go for it fix too, gotta be done as you all know, do love skiing, just wish I'd done it years ago.
Cheers NehNeh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Motorola T7 very good and I use the PTT throat microphone
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
then ski on one leg. Or backwards. Or backwards on one leg.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've found areas of no signal several times with cellphones, hence I now carry walkie talkies when out.
Its more a safety feature than anything else, has helped locate missing party members (me) on occasion..
As always battey life is to be watched, recharge each evening and they tend to last all day.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The more I think about it, if the overiding goal is to keep the wife happy then forget the WT and throw money at private (joint) lessons, gruesome twosome lunches, and new ski clothes for her.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy