Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top 5 European resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Did a search and didn't see this coming up... so forgive me if you've been round this before.

I was just wondering what do people think are the top 5 must visit resorts in Europe.

To start the ball rolling... my current list is :

1. St Anton
2. Zermatt
3. The Three Valleys generally, but to pick a resort, i'd go for Courchevel.
4. Espace Killy - Tignes or Val-D'isere.
5. Chamonix

Bit of a French flavour to that I guess, interested to see what others come up with !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitzbhuel
St Anton
Cortina D'Ampezzo
Les Arcs
Maddona da Campiglio

La Thuile for a pizza as a good reserve
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitzbhuel
Chamonix
Val D'Isere
Zermatt
Verbier
Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmm, not really had much experience of Italy so interested to see if any came up. I have my trusty copy of Where to Ski and Snowboard so I'll look these up. Les Arcs is a personal fav of mine - it kind of does what it says on the tin and has a nice mix of pistes as well as some great 'easy' off piste, which suits me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tough call IMHO, so in no particular order;

Arabba
Chamonix
Espace Killy
Les Arcs
Verbier
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends on what you are after, but for Scenery I'd definately have Wengen and Zermatt in the top 5
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of the resorts I've skied: in no particular order (except the first one) wink

Les Deux Alpes
Zermatt
Wengen
La Grave (does that count)? Not really a resort.
Steinach
The Lecht
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meribel
kitzbhuel
Espace Killy
Verbier
montgenerve

not been to st anton
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP, "tough call" - that's the point of the Top 5 !

Arabba is interesting as I'd not come across it, just looked it up, comes under the Selva / Sella Ronda category in WTS&S. It does sound attactive, the only issue on my reading would be the perceived lack of more challenging runs...

The others seem good contenders...

Wengen, again sounds attractive, but again WTS&S suggests it is best for early intermediates. One to visit, but in the Top 5 ?

D G Orf, I guess I was looking at all round resorts - I'd class myself as a later intermediate ( but then I am a skier turned snowboarder ) so from a personal perspective, resorts that are good for intermediate / experienced snowusers are more attractive for me, but hey this is about a personal Top 5 so whatever you think.

Part of my reason for starting the topic was to point me to resorts that ought to be on my 'to do' list.. over the last few years, we've gotten into a rut of snowsure large French resorts and now I'd like to spread my wings a bit !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richie_S, Wengen's good for intermediates and beginners, but not so great for advanced, though there are some good off piste runs in the area.

Take anything that WTS&S or TGSG says about Wengen with a small pinch of salt as for some reason the reviewers seem to be biased against the resort, I think for many of them it's the time on the trains
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meribel
Verbier
Zermatt
Val D'Isere
Flims/Laax
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, that's good feedback, yup I don't tend to solely trust the guides ( i've got a variety of different ones at home to try and get a varied opinion ) - hence another good reason for this post. I've generally found WTS&S the most informative, with more content and facts than other similar publications... but it is difficult to get round some of the more subjective comments - as with anything you only really know when you've tried it yourself, and if Wengen works for you then maybe its one to consider !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If its scenery you are after then Murren
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent. Lists!!

1. Serre Chevalier
2. St Anton

And Les Arcs, Alpe d'Huez, Espace Killy, 3 Valleys and Verbier and battling for the other 3 places. Erm...too hard...OK...

3. Espace Killy
4. Verbier
5. Les Arcs

Zermatt tops the list of European resorts I want to go to.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, I like it ....

Mine would be:

1. Cairngorm
2. Glenshee
3. Glencoe
4. The lecht
5. probably somewhere in Europe as the Nevis range is a bit far for me.
ski holidays
Espace Killy (Vald'Isere)
3 Valleys (Meribel)
St Anton
Megeve
Chamonix

Mainly French as an easy day drive from Surrey.
snow report
Hmmm - difficult not been many places I think are great:
1) Les Arcs
2) 3V
The remaining three spots are still open will have to try out some of the suggestions above!

(Others I've been to in order of visit, for comparison: Les Orres, LDA, Killington, AdHuez, SerreChavalier, Pas, Chatel plus 2 weeks each in Les Arcs/3V)
snow conditions
ajhainey, Everywhere I have been (apart from Kaprun) I thought was great.
ski holidays
Adam Holt, Yeah - I REALLY like the Lecht. Very Happy Very Happy It's curious how many people are going for the same big 2 or 3 areas - is that indicative of fashion, or lack of travel to other places (especially the small ones like Steinach), or just where the TOs go???
latest report
 brian
brian
Adam Holt, A9 to Dalwhinnie and then A86 down to Spean Bridge. You'll get there as quick as Cairngorm and quicker than the Lecht wink
latest report
I’m sure we’ve done this at least 20 times before, but you can never have too many lists! Of course, it all depends on your criteria – I’m only a simple punter and therefore go for, in no particular order, convenience, vertical, mileage, lift system and après (charm and scenery add little to my holiday, philistine that I am). So based on that, and the fact that I’m no expert skier, I’d go for:

1. Espace Killy
2. Les Arcs
3. St Anton
4. Flaine
5. Zermatt

Espace Killy is pretty perfect – best lift system in the Alps, some great long pistes, huge variety, good intermediate off-piste, and good après (only down side is too many stuck-up Brits, but they are easily avoided).

St Anton only beaten into third because of lack of convenience (oh, and women!).

Les Arcs takes second purely because of the Aiguille Rouge – probably my all-time favourite run.

Flaine is excellent for uncrowded easy cruising (but could lose out to Cervinia if it ever improves its lift system and slope access).

Zermatt has plenty of fantastic skiing but again loses out on convenience and lift system (too may T-bars for my liking!).
latest report
easiski wrote:
Adam Holt, Yeah - I REALLY like the Lecht. Very Happy Very Happy It's curious how many people are going for the same big 2 or 3 areas - is that indicative of fashion, or lack of travel to other places (especially the small ones like Steinach), or just where the TOs go???

I wondered that too... I think alot is simply about where people are going and having a good time. In general people are going to go where the big TO's go and hence the same big places will always come up as that is where most people go.

But still that isn't to say these aren't excellent places. Motoring around the huge expanse of the 3 valleys trying to get from Courchevel to Val Thoren and back again is great fun and the huge variety panders to all tastes !
snow conditions
If you'll allow areas rather than resorts, so its definitely the skiing and mountain ambience we're on about I say:

Zermatt
Monterosa

area both for good pistes, excellent off piste and 4000m peaks all around

Espace Killy for mileage, off piste and piste challenge

Les Arcs (but not paradiski) for all round challenge and the Aiguille rouge

St Anton for much the same reason as Espace Killy.

I'm afraid I don't like the disjointed narrow sysetem of Verbier or Les 2 Alpes (but I'm going to try Les 2 Alpes at Easter again.easiski, I might be in touch
snow report
Chamonix
St Anton
Zermatt
Verbier
Val D Isere

are all must go to's at some time or another, in my book

but there are also lots that aren't raved about by the Brit press..... it doesn't all have to be about mileage...!!
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas, I'll have to show you the best ski-ing then won't I? snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I´m afraid I can´t tell you my number 1 as I skied fresh/untracked powder there all day 5 days after it snowed...
ski holidays
No Order and definately not 'The Best' as I don't believe there is such a thing; one mans meat etc.
But my favourites for various reasons

Serre Che
Glencoe
Lech
Davos
Zermatt

I have never had a bad holiday anywhere. I have mixed feelings about the Tarentaise resorts though. Great terrain and decent snow record but as resorts I find them a bit more soulless than some also not the finest scenery in the alps IMHO.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 17-11-05 20:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
ajhainey, Everywhere I have been (apart from Kaprun) I thought was great.

Hmm, I'm obviously just picky wink Generally places have fallen down on comfort/convienience - bad lifts, poor pisting(or just poor snow), no slopeside accomodation, useless maps/signage, queues etc. I also prefer somewhere with some decent mileage. I have liked a few places, Killington was fun, as was Pas and PortesduSoleil definately has it's charms but I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend them to someone in the way I would Les Arcs.

There again - where have you been Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch,
Quote:

I´m afraid I can´t tell you my number 1 as I skied fresh/untracked powder there all day 5 days after it snowed...

We have ways of making you talk Toofy Grin Spill the beans Laughing
ski holidays
How about:

Notre Dame de Bellecombe
Vars
Puy St Vincent
Champagny
Alpe du Grand Serre

Actually, put Alpe du Grand Serre at the top.
snow report
Lizzard, sorry but I wouldn't rate any of them as top French resorts never mind top European resorts.
ski holidays
snowbunny, I have an addiction to pentathol. please give me more and I'll tell you everyting...
ski holidays
David@traxvax wrote:
Lizzard, sorry but I wouldn't rate any of them as top French resorts never mind top European resorts.

Resorts can be graded by an individual in many different ways. Skiing, lifts, bar totty, drink, trees, laugh quotient, holiday experience, transfer etc etc.
snow report
David Murdoch,
Quote:

snowbunny, I have an addiction to pentathol. please give me more and I'll tell you everyting...

You are absolutely right you would,...but I only want the details on the resort Laughing
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Actually you're right about the top 5, but most of us have put OUR favourite top 5, and not what we think ought to be in it. Good for Lizzard, liking smaller, less well known places! Very Happy
ski holidays
Re smaller places: I can't agree more with easiski, I could easily create a top 5 from the smaller resorts accessible from the Autoroute Blanche between Geneva and Chamonix. I have fond memories of places like Les Contamines and La Grand Bornand which I used to be able to get to as a day tripper.
ski holidays
easiski, I have a soft spot for the Lecht too, it seems to hold onto the snow a lot better than any of the others up here. Having said that, I think Glenshee midweek with good snow would just pip it.
snow report
No-ones mentioned Courmayeur - I went years ago over Christmas and thought it a fantastic resort - very pretty, very Italian and with the possibility of exploring Chamonix...
ski holidays
I've only got three that I've experienced so far that I think should be up there-

At the moment number one for me has to be Zermatt, it's got it all, great off-piste, great on-piste, good apres ski, fantastic ambience, great food... the only downside is the price.

Second on my list is St Anton, for much of the same reason's except the food isn't quite as uniformly good, and neither is the ambience quite as good as Zermatt.

Third for me would have to be Espace Killy, purely for the variety of skiing there, especially for advanced/expert skiers. Food, ambience, and apres ski not up to much if you ask me.

Places that I reckon may well be up there, but haven't skied yet are the 3Vs, Verbier, maybe St Moritz. Possibly Chamonix. Ask me again when I've managed to ski them all!
latest report
easiski, in that case my response is easy: La Rosiere, Chamonix, St Anton, Courchevel, Les Arcs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy