Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpybus to Cham

Poster: A snowHead
Just thinking about booking transfers for December lads weekend, am I right in assuming these guys are good? Have seen varying reports about 'others' on here but heard good things about Alpybus, anyone any advice? Arriving 20.15 on a Friday and need to be at GVA airport 19.30 on the Sunday so not much time to allow for hiccups etc.....need to get to Cham for that pizza by the river on Friday and get a full days skiing in on Sunday!

Any SH discount codes for Alpybus? I saw a couple of historical ones on here, but they don't work.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yeah, alpybus are ok, never had any problems. I tend to use either them or mountain dropoffs 99% of the time Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steer well clear me thinks: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alpybus-Avoid-at-all-costs/1379285245640964
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thats facebook page looks a little suspicious in my opinion.

steer clear if you want, obviously...i dont care. I've probably used them 10 times over the last couple of years and never had any problems. As long as you make your life easy, give them a phone number, have the phone with you and turned on that your fine. Some people seem to expect the driver to be standing in arrivals with a name badge held high rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Action transfers are good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Some people seem to expect the driver to be standing in arrivals with a name badge held hig

I probbaly would expect the driver/rep to be stood in arrivals with an alpybus sign
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The transfer companies will have different drivers each year so it's partly down to luck how good your driver is whatever the standard of driving was the previous year.

Take a baby with you and say on the last 3 transfers it puked up because the driver went too fast... might slow them down a bit... Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
need to get to Cham for that pizza by the river on Friday and get a full days skiing in on Sunday!

casa valerio? Going there tomorrow night, cant get enough of there calabrese pizza Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Used them all the time when transferring to Cham, always excellent.

These days I tend to rent a car as it's a useful thing to have out there, given the layout of the valley. When visiting friends who have a car that I can jump in in resort, I take Alpybus. Have also used Chamexpress, never had any problems with them either, although apparently some have?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, they are all much of a muchness to be honest... service seems to depend on the driver rather than the company, I've used various companies and had a miserable driver now and then other times it's been very pleasant. If there is a large enough group it might be worth booking a private transfer? Depending on numbers I tend to hire a car as Harry Flashman, says, it's useful in Cham and if there's a group it's pretty economical.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eddiethebus, mmm, that's the place!

Thanks for feedback guys, any disc codes?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eddiethebus, have they made their prices more reasonable again? We used to love it when it really was the family handling front of house and pizza making and a litre of house plonk was €11 (ate there about once a week). Saw no reason why they massively overinflated prices and reduced quality...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eddiethebus, just checking - this is the one with the big pizza oven upstairs and overlooks the river?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How is Alpybus as an option if I'll trying to get from GVA to Vallorcine on a Saturday in late January? Alpybus to Chamonix and train or taxi to Vallorcine? Ballpark costs for the taxi or train leg? Any info on my best option would be appreciated. Train from GVA via Martigny to Vallorcine is an economical option but takes more time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
choucas, ball park:- transfer ~€25, train Cham to Vallorcine maybe ~€10? You can get exact prices for the train from the SNCF website. Trains are not all that frequent and don't run very late in the evening though. Trains in the valley are free if you have a guest card from the hotel, although I've never been asked to produce one on the odd occasions I've used them. Not sure if that rule covers Vallorcine?
ski holidays
Guest card covers trains at least to Vallorcine (and ?Chatelard? maybe). Id take the Alpybus all the way to Argentiere so at least you can hitch the last bit if necessary.
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Some people seem to expect the driver to be standing in arrivals with a name badge held hig

I probbaly would expect the driver/rep to be stood in arrivals with an alpybus sign

Its a bus, not a private taxi (and consequently cheaper). A private booking is usually a different price unless it is a big group.

I've found them good.
latest report
To be honest I think Alpybus is very irresponsible. We booked the tickets from Morzine to Geneva Airport and got their confirmation email. However, I received another cancellation email from them in the previous afternoon of our flight. And it was too late to book from other companies. So if you book their service I think you'd better check your mailbox frequently, when you are in a ski trip... Furthermore, their customer service is really unfriendly.
snow report
I booked with Alypus, GVA/Verbier return, last week and had absolutely no problems.

On time both sides and I was the only passenger on each leg in a mini bus with wifi in the bus as a bonus.

Also used them for friends the week before for GVA/CHX/GVA and again they were on time and can't make any complaints about them at all.
snow conditions
we use alpybus all the time, Geneva -la Fayet and we have never had any problems sometimes a bit late if held up by the traffic coming out of Geneva but they cant help that!
snow report
Never had a problem with them (although these days I her a car and drive to Chamonix - Chamonix without a car is utter balls). My friends are all using Alpybus to get out here and visit in Morzine, have been no problems so far this season.

Did have one issue where they called while we were in the mountain saying that the afternoon transfer had been moved forward by 2 hours - clearly a problem as we missed the call and the transfer. Call to the office (always reachable it seems) sorted it in minutes; they had made a mistake, and transfer was fine as booked (they diverted a bus). No drama - often the test of a company is not it running well, but how they deal with their own mistakes and a panicking client; in this case, they dealt with it well.

That said, I have heard borrow stories of most of the transfer companies on a Saturday, probably due to there being no spaces, and the above sort of flexibility being impossible.

Chamonix? Seriously, hire a car if there are more than one of you going and it is cost effective. Taking the bus to the various ski areas out there is a miserable, miserable experience - a genuine holiday wrecker.
latest report
didn't wreck my holiday there, found the buses totally fine, in fact unless it crashed i'm not sure how a 10/15 min bus ride could wreck anything
snow conditions
geeo, fair enough - it also depends where you are staying, and how bad traffic through the valley is.

I stay at a friend's place in Bossons, so really a car is a necessity. If yu are smack in the town centre, it probably isn't. Also, at peak times, parking can be more of a nightmare than taking the bus, I guess...
snow report
we live in les bossons and rarely use the car. the train runs on time every day, you can literally time your departure so that you get there the same time as the train....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy