Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arva Neo Transceiver

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Has anybody tried the Arva Neo transceiver? How does it compare to other models at that level, e.g. BSA Tracker 2 or Ortovox Zoom / 3+?

Whilst I fully intend to get lots of practice in the park, confusing the dog walkers, this will be my first transceiver and my skills are pretty basic, so my main priority is that it's super easy to use!

Thanks

PJ
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never used one myself...
However "very well qualified" friend (ex-Glencoe MRT / ex-alpine pisteur) gave the Arva Neo a big thumbs up.
He also sells them Wink ...tell him I sent you!

http://www.crankitupgear.com/

Arva are a French brand.
Digital beacon, 3 antena, mark function for multiples : very good price.
You could do a lot worse.

If I was buying a new beacon this would be on my short list along with the BCA T2/T3 or the Mammut Element.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's reassuring, thanks Haggis_Trap. When people talk about the BCA Trackers 2&3 (by people, I mean the shop websites I've been looking at), they make a lot of their superior speed. Are they significantly better than other models, how much difference does this make, in reality?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used a BCA T1 side by side with a T2 in the beacon park at Glencoe. The new T2 has a much faster processor : which means you can rotate the beacon and not have to wait for the display to update. Also the T2 also has a 3rd antenna which makes a massive difference during the final "grid phase" of a search.

Basically the BCA T2/T3 are much faster than older digital beacons from 10 years ago were.
However their speed will be similar to other modern offering from Ortovox, Mammut, Arva etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latest news on the BCA tracker 3 is that it won't be available this season. The T2 is still a very nice bit of kit though and the T3 isn't really a replacement for it- it's pitched at a higher price level/spec, and is more in competition with something like the Ortovox S1+. The other transceiver to consider in the more budget end of the market is the Ortovox Zoom, which is a nice, stripped down bit of kit- gives direction and a distance indicator, similar to the T2 (but with slightly shorter range), but a fair bit cheaper. We've sold shed-loads of them this season, so Ortovox seem to have got the spec/price balance about right. The T1 (or DTS to give it the official name) is a 2 antenna transceiver, so personally I'd give it a miss unless you're really price sensitive. Not that it wasn't a great bit of kit in its day, but I think there are so many good and relatively cheap 3 antenna transceivers about now that are superior. The Mammut Element is a good bit of kit too. All of these 3 antenna transceivers will do a good job.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
evski,
Quote:

Latest news on the BCA tracker 3 is that it won't be available this season.

Yep just got that email as well this evening Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, must say we were pretty much expecting that. Though I respect the decision to pull it for this season if it's not right yet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy