Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advanced skier travelling with a group of beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Snowheads,

So after 10 happy years, my family has finally retired the annual family ski trip. Sad times. As a result, I'm severely lacking in mountain time in 2014 (got three days booked in St Anton - better than nothing but still).

I was looking to get a group of friends together for a week, but have run into a minor stumbling block - I don't have any friends that ski! I have a couple of people interested in going - but my question is; what do you do as an advance skier when on a trip with complete beginners?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Put them in ski school and go enjoy yourself Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had this last year with my sister and nephew. They did ski school in the morning and I skied with my daughter. We met for lunch and then I took my nephew for a pootle around whilst my sister gathered her strength. Later part of the week they were happy to have a couple of days on their own whilst I nipped over to Avoriaz/Swiss side with some friends.

I didn't begrudge the couple of quiet afternoons as it was great seeing Sam progress so much. Classic moment as I arrived a bit late for lunch. They had eaten and Sam was sitting at a table outside the restaurant with his skis still clipped in. "Can we go now?" "I haven't had any lunch" "But when you love skiing as much as I do all you want to do is ski!" And that after two hours in a fridge and three days on snow. I got a muesli bar and a five minute rest.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For Jane and I it used to be the other way around. I'd go to ski school in the morning to improve my skiing while she had a pootle around or chilled out with a book, then we'd have a gentle ski together in the afternoon. Everyone happy Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When we took beginners and novices we used to take turns leading them around the resort in the afternoon. You could easily adopt the same plan. Have them in ski school in the morning, then meet up at lunch. After lunch take them somewhere you think they will enjoy; ski with them, laugh and smile, pick them up when they fall over, laugh some more, enjoy their company and pleasure at conquering different skills. If you want some company for skiing then you can always take lessons yourself. Enjoy yourself and look upon it as a bit of an investment.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I found quite a lot of pleasure in teaching the odd beginner some basics. Rewarding!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bring yourself down to their level and learn to board while they're picking up skiing, thats what I did then you can board in the afternoon with them and be not too different in speeds and abilities.

When they pick it up you then have an extra skill too.

Either that or just dump them in all day ski school and go off adventuring then meet them after for a few pints, I like to do this as can still get held back by confident skiers and its nice to just bomb off on your own without having to keep stopping and figure out how they've all got lost
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
musher wrote:

This - or just go on your own anyway and meet likeminded people. Forget about social skiing unless you are very very patient.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

or just go on your own anyway and meet likeminded people.

There are plenty of ways of doing this - personally I would sign up for a course - when I did this there were plenty of people, from the course, to ski with in the afternoon. I was in the middle of the ability range - the top couple of groups were all at least BASI 1 qualified instructors.

Even if you are advanced, there's plenty more to learn. And there's a big choice of ski instruction/coaching holidays for all abilities.

Or, if conditions are right, get a private instructor or guide (depending on what you are doing) to take you off piste. Or the learn to board suggestion is a good one.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could go somewhere like Tignes and all sign up for esf in the morning. They will reliably be doing classe 3/4 so will give you plenty of challenge. You will all be dropped back to same meeting point and all go to lunch together and decide whether to ski together in pm or if you going to go for a solo blast
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ive done this a couple of times, found the solution was to book some morning off piste guided stuff, while they are in ski school. I would then pootle around with them in the afternoon, and be pretty happy with that since the morning half killed me!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
musher wrote:

This - or just go on your own anyway and meet likeminded people. Forget about social skiing unless you are very very patient.

Dump the beginners and join a snowHead Bash. By the end of the week you'll have more skiing buddies than you can shake a big stick at. Harsh, but hey ho. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had our first family holiday 2 years ago. I can ski but the wife and 4 kids couldn't. They'd have lessons in the morning and I'd do a few runs and then meet back for lunch and I'd help them in the afternoon. Quite often I'd come back early and either take pictures or ski behind and help pick up any one who'd fallen. This actually saved the instructor quite a bit of time. Also, once they were able to ski the smaller slopes I found it just as rewarding being around them and seeing them improve. I was surprised but skiing with beginners was not a problem at all. Last year I did an off piste course while they had their lessons and then met up afterwards so had the best of both worlds.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go on a snowhead bash (guaranteed to find a group of your standard to ski with) or join the Ski Club of GB and go on one of their holidays with a group of your standard.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If they're total beginners it will most likely be frustrating for you dmcmorrine.

Putting them in morning ski school while you do you own thing, guides, advanced lessons, free ski would be the way to go.

I don't mind skiing with beginners at all so long as they're having a go. If they get to the standard where you can lead them remember to have regular breathers otherwise if you're always setting off again not long after the slowest gets to you they barely get a rest.

Conversely I've been on group holidays of mixed abilities who I'd never go with again. Stopping every 10 meters to adjust your boots, taking your gloves off and them crying your hands are cold wears thin.

It's fun to ski with friends of any ability just not every hour of every day of a ski week.
ski holidays
SkiG wrote:
Ive done this a couple of times, found the solution was to book some morning off piste guided stuff, while they are in ski school. I would then pootle around with them in the afternoon, and be pretty happy with that since the morning half killed me!

This is what I have done. I also used to change skis to slalom skis before meeting up with them which helped. It does depend on how beginner you are talking, the group I was with could handle an easy red at a push rather then in the falling-off-a-button-lift category.
snow report
When you pick a resort it's worth checking with a resort website available organised skiing activities. Explain to your beginner friends that they need to enrol in a ski school to learn and you won't be ski with them all the time. You can also join some advanced classes. Choose a resort suitable to your level since most resort will have enough terrain for complete beginners (nursery slopes, couple blue runs and an easier red run) and they don't need variety at this stage but you do. If you ski well it shouldn't be a problem for you to meet people you can ski with. And if you want to meet with your friends for lunch etc. choose a well-linked resort.
latest report
I would hate it with a group of complete beginners. However if they go to ski school and you just do the good fast runs or off piste by yourself then maybe it will work out for you. Sometimes it is good for them to ski with someone who can ski as it helps them to advance a lot faster.
ski holidays
Quote:

I would hate it with a group of complete beginners

that's putting it a bit strong. There's nothing quite like watching a new ski fanatic emerging from the chrysalis. Be careful skiing with them, though - it's easy to put them off. Stick to pistes they've done with their instructor. Don't try to instruct them, just tell them they're doing great and take them to a terrace with a great view of the slopes.
snow conditions
Ski with them in the afternoon and help them progress with encouragement and use your experience to help them enjoy themselves. By having to reduce your overall speed and concentrating on your own technique rather than just focussing on mileage, you may get something out of it yourself.

ok, it may compromise your trip a bit, but consider it an investment in the future as they'll hopefully want to go again and you'll have people to ski with.
latest report
Pam, I wouldn't mind having one other ski ier at my level, then travel with a group of beginners. The problem I would have with being the only one is that the aftenoons would be such slow progress, picking them up, etc. I ski with my children who are beginners, but thankfully I get to do some fast and fun stuff in the morning. Also there is a second person with me for when it is slow on the slopes in the afternoon. Adults are worse though as they are more nervous . It is indeed gratifying to see them advance, but I would still hate it , being the only advanced skier among them all.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy