Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New to skiing- help with fitness

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have started skiing in Tamworth and been going every month to get muscles use to it. I am off on hols January, my first ever trip. Heard if you not fit, it can be hard work.

Im back at the gym, and started doing yoga aswell. What should i be concentrating on? Quads etc

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dals, sounds as though you are already doing loads more than many people - yes, legs (hamstrings too) but also some upper body (poling can be hard work), core strength and general cardiovascular fitness. Where are you going on your hols? You'll get a lot more out of it, having started well in advance to get fit. snowHead

Some gyms run special ski fitness sessions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dals, It just depends on .. well. so much really. I would suggest you consider Ski Flexibility to be the equal of Ski Strength / Stamina. I would recommend Craig Mc Lean's videos from the Putney Chiro available from Youtube. His advice can be found on Skiclub.co.uk and Warren Smith Academy website. He has consulted /treated the UK's top WC racers too.
It would be easy to say that younger people don't need as much preparation as the older skier, and generally i suppose that's true. The important point is that ALL skiers need key Flexibilities / Strengths in specific joints for acquisition of skiing skills AND to fight (skiing specific) muscle fatigue. Invest in accomplishing the exercises and you won't need to spend in the gym AND (i hope) if you invest in tuition, your body won't be held back by any biomechanical (blocked movement) issues.
I hope you have a great time on your first ever trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would focus on balance, core strength, and joint stability rather than worrying about building muscle groups like quads. If you develop good technique, then recreational skiing shouldn't be putting great strain on your muscles.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for advice, hope my techique is ok. Had lessons in Tamworth, my only issue is sitting back too far and not bending knees enough
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dals, stick with what you're doing, but maybe add in a bit more CV.

And don't worry about bending the knees; in fact don't think about it too much or you might start squatting Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah defo upping my cardio slowly. Think i back bottom does stick out abit, normal for a woman i heard Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dals, bend your ankles, not your knees. And shag, not sh*t. wink It's all about the pelvic tilt.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dals,
Don't expect to have an ache free holiday. However much you prepare skiing for several hours especially on your first holiday will have its effect. As has been said CV and flexibility work will help enormously and should stop the almost impossible to walk downstairs in the hotel issue
You have done the right thing to have lessons before you go. If you are fairly confident and you are doing lessons in the resort make sure you are not put in the complete beginners class oherwise you will waste money watching the rest of the class picking themselves up off the slope
And aspam w says keep that bum in.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Dals, bend your ankles, not your knees. And shag, not sh*t. wink It's all about the pelvic tilt.

Fantastic post
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys for the advice Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dals,
At the risk of being accused of advertising I have posted a programme on our Facebook page that has weekly updates.
You can find the Facebook link through our web site http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/

It has been written by James Vickers who worked as physio to Chemmy during last Winter Olympics but is pitched to get the average skier fit and strong enough.

Let me know if you think I can improve it.

Good luck with the program

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dals, Talk to the instructors at your gym, you may get lucky and find one who is a skier who can give you some specific advice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Talk to your yoga teacher too, they should be able to help with stretching and strengthening.
Also be careful not to do too much in the last couple of weeks before you go. Plenty of people injure themselves trying to get ski fit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
People do injure themselves trying to get fit but usually because they've left it too late and step up the program too quickly or try to cram too much in. Recovery from the heavy ( strength,power and anaerobic) part of the program should be only three days if you have been building it sensibly. If you are reasonably fit you should be able to make a significant difference in six weeks without injury but if you have more to do leave longer.

It is also important that your program has a significant element if ski specificity . In other words if you are a super fit distance runner you'll still have a lot to do to be ski ready .
ski holidays
Jonathan Bell wrote:
In other words if you are a super fit distance runner you'll still have a lot to do to be ski ready .
Bu@@er! Laughing
ski holidays
Tarquin, Laughing
snow report
Good insights here... I suggest explosive exercises (often called "plyometrics") as critical for skiing. The sudden increases in forces that you experience in mid-level and above skiing is quite difficult to duplicate in training, so plyometrics with resistance can be helpful.

As for CV, I recommend HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), since, again, it comes closer to emulating the anaerobic nature of alpine skiing.
snow report
Jonathan Bell,
Quote:

At the risk of being accused of advertising I have posted a programme on our Facebook page that has weekly updates.
You can find the Facebook link through our web site http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/

It has been written by James Vickers who worked as physio to Chemmy during last Winter Olympics but is pitched to get the average skier fit and strong enough.

Let me know if you think I can improve it.
Pictures would help me. I'm not familiar with some of the terminology and I'm very aware that doing exercises incorrectly can cause injury. I guess this is in a 'shorthand' format for facebook. Perhaps there is a 'longhand' version also available, with pictures? (I must confess that I've even forgotten how to do some of the Swiss ball exercises Claire gave me, because I only have short verbal descriptions of them. Embarassed Embarassed )
snow conditions
Pedantica,

Apologies it's the only way I could get it on Facebook, given my limited skills set.

I'm going to try and get round to pictures. If you let me know which excercises Claire gave you that you're not sure about will get back to you. We are going to start filming the exercises,in future, to give to Claire's patients. Your post will spur me on to get on with it

Jonathan Bell
latest report
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2009/nov/04/ski-fit-exercises-warren-smith

This was very helpful to me, showed me how little flex i had in my ankles!
snow conditions
CharLisht,

Your knees like ankle flex, so does your skiing.
snow report
Have saved the guardian link and Jonathan's FB page for when my knee is ready to get fit. I've got a year, as can't see me affording a ski this season and working in the uk for a year Sad, and also got a physio and a sports therapist that both either ski or snowboard Smile Smile I may start the next season ski fit, that'll be a minor miracle!!!! Smile
ski holidays
The most physically taxing part of skiing is the learning phase. In particular, the getting up from the ground, the carrying skis, and the effort required to snow plough and step up and down steep sections. Not to mention the draining mental aspect of feeling like a complete failure when everyone else is zooming past at 50 -100 mph.

When you improve, the effort required is reduced. Particularly if you only ski on piste and take a lift.

Once you have improved to the extent that you can ski parallel turns, and have little fear of skiing down steep blacks or reds, then the physical effort is not significant.

What is more important is that you are flexible, and your muscles and ligaments are supple. Youth helps in this regard, but failing that, stretching and muscle tone is perhaps more important than muscle strength.

If you start going off piste, and climbing up before you ski with skins or skis on your rucksack, then that is a physical challenge which you need a certain type of fitness.

Core body strength and flexibility is more important for people with average fitness. (IMHO)

snowHead
ski holidays
As long as the physio clears me to do so, I plan to start Pilates in a weeks time. I have a year to g fit and flexible, and slim. So starting with Pilates then cycling, I shall move on to the stuff on Jonathan Bell's FB page Smile. Might actually start a season fit and slim and not feeling fat and old!!!! Smile
latest report
chaletgirl,

Get stuck in. If any of my FB exercises aren't clear most should be easily found on you tube but I am looking into filming some video links, this year I thought I'd just see if there was interest.
ski holidays
Jonathan Bell wrote:
chaletgirl,

Get stuck in. If any of my FB exercises aren't clear most should be easily found on you tube but I am looking into filming some video links, this year I thought I'd just see if there was interest.

Thank you. Will check with physio on tues what she is happy for me to do than have a go at what I can Smile
ski holidays
Received an interesting article from the Telegraph. Maybe it will help with certain aspects of your fitness.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/features/10430690/Ski-physio-how-to-get-fit-for-the-slopes.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
".. dynamic stretching is vastly superior" [to static stretching in warming up for skiing]

It has been tested since the 1980s comparing the effects of no stretching, static stretching and dynamic stretching on the connections used when exercising.

Anyone know any skiing specific dynamic stretching useful as a warm up for skiing?

I do not endorse this website, but it appears to have a video which demonstrates dynamic stretches useful for skiing.

http://elsbethvaino.com/2010/01/dynamic-warmup-for-skiing/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy