Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll for a non skier?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for an Austrian resort (pref thru Thomsons) I can take partner who doesn't ski.
He would wait for me at the cafes and restaurants at the bottom for me to
Meet him for lunch, breaks etc.
Is Soll the best for this? I'd like a resort with a lot of good intermediate runs right there rather than moving on through to others via linked lifts. I might do that a bit but don't really want to leave him all day.
It's a special birthday which is why he is coming with me - normally I go alone.
Thoughts appreciated.
Choosing Thomsons for budget reasons but something similar would be fine too.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you considered Zell am see
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure that Soll is the best option to meet your partner at lunchtimes. The slopes are quite a way from the village and the village is quite small so not a lot for non-skiers to do. Zell has more going for it for non-skiers but the ski area is not very extensive. Saalbach may be a good option as it is easy to drop down to the town and your partner may find it a bit more interesting whilst you are on the slopes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are ther villages in the SkiWelt that would be better than Soll. I'd imagine a non-skier would want things to do, Zell am See is a good shout, Kitzbuhel another. Kitzbuhel is a very nice town with plenty to see for a non-skier. It's a bit of a trade off for non-skiers, It's probably easier to have accomadation up the mountain which will make it easier for you to nip back as and when, but that could leave the non skier a bit isolated-allot mre of the purpose built French resorts spring to mind rather than Austrian ones for this.

Walking passes for the non skier would mean they could get up the mountain and meet you. Obvious question, can you not twist their arm into having a go?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you

What about Mayrhofen?

He used to ski but has Parkinson's now
Luckily (sort of...) he had already gone off skiing before he got the condition so does not feel he's missing out on skiing. We're fed up with me going off alone to ski so we thought we'd give it a try as a special 60th treat for me.

However Mayrhofen seems to tick the boxes. Pension Eberharter (**** )looks lovely
Anyone know it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Zell am See - a proper, working town with things for non-skiers to do and a beautiful lake to walk around. In addition, all the main lifts are gondolas, so your partner can buy a walking/non-ski ticket and meet you at the top for lunch and après. If he wants to go further afield, easy day-trips by train to Kitzbuhel or Salzburg.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks
We finally booked Mayrhofen due to times of flights from Stansted.
Partner has now announced (after booking!) that he will give skiing another try!! So I hope it caters easy- intermediate close together on the pistes
Any ideas? Seems a bit varied reviews on here.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Main Mayrhofen area (Penken) can be very busy. For somebody that's been away from skiing for a while I'd recommend you spend your first day or two up on the Ahorn side. It's very quiet and a small area - basically a couple of short beginner's blues with tows then a lovely long piste - blue to the first chair then red down to a much lower chair. The red run is a piste down through the trees and has options to avoid the steep bits by going round on forest roads.

The Penken lift gets very busy at peak times - depending on where your hotel is it can be quicker to get a ski bus to the Horbergbahn, which has less queues.

Your lift pass covers the whole of the Zillertal. For a birthday treat I'd recommend taking a train, bus or even a taxi down the valley to Kaltenbach. The Krystallhutte has amazing mountain top views, good food and is reachable by blue runs. The Wedelhutte is even classier but getting to it involves a couple of red runs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jac Sprat, get some local recommendations for a suitable ski instructor to take your partner for some private lessons/intro to the ski runs. Will take a lot of the responsibility of your shoulders and the instructor will probably also have lots of nice local info to give you, which I always find adds a lot to a day out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A great instructor/guide in Mayrhofen is Roy Butterfield. Couldn't recommend him highly enough. Lovely guy and although I tend to ski a lot faster than my wife he managed to keep us both entertained and we both learned a great deal from him. He knows all the best pistes and the best huts for lunch or hot chocolate. When we skied with him (Christmas before last) he picked us up from our hotel in his minibus and dropped us back when we were finished. No extra charge, no clock-watching. Find his contact details on www.zillerthriller.com
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks
Great advice x
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jac Sprat, snowhead's SaraJ also teaches in Mayrhofen/Zillertal. I don't know her/haven't skied with her, but it seems her approach could be exactly what you are looking for... She also offers several other options if 'trad' skiing doesn't work out for your partner: http://alpinefreedom.co.uk/

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 29-10-13 12:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you xx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy