Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2005 AGM

Poster: A snowHead
Its on Tuesday 29th November.

See here for agenda

skiclub AGM agenda
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hibernia, thanks for this thread - for some reason I thought it was on Thursday - I would have felt a right plonker trotting down there 5 days early. Are you going?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim - hopefully ( if I can persuade some of my clients to do do their tax returns rolling eyes ) I can leave the office early for once rolling eyes

I think that you are confusing it with the " Swiss Night " which I think is up in Covent Garden Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swiss Night? Oh yes, that was Thursday just past. I was dying then of the dreaded lurgy - still am - so did not get to it.

As for the AGM, I have given the club notice of three questions:
1. Ski Club Insurance - lots of adverse criticism
2. The Minutes - published far too late
3. Membership number printed on communications from the SCGB - this appears to have been sorted.

And still no confirmation or otherwise whether there will be an open bar after the meeting or not.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim - that's the date of the press release ( 17/11/05 ) the Swiss night thingy is next thursday 24th and no I will not be there.

All very good questions - I am one of those currently having problems with a claim which has now been referred to the head office of White Horse in Ireland.

I am all for the draft minutes being sent to the attendees shortly after the AGM and hopefully this will be done from this year onwards.

Your last question - let's hope so!

And finally I am all for the free bar - its an incentive to sit through the thing Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Free bar???!!! I'll be there - just in case snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hibernia, Swiss Night, this coming Thursday after all (silly me - doh! Embarassed ).
And I do hope the bar is open as it encourages everyone to talk - otherwise each clique will go off to their own bar and the whole point of the AGM will be lost.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just a reminder that the annual general meeting of the Ski Club of Great Britain is at 7pm tonight at the Club's HQ:

57-63 Church Road, Wimbledon, London SW19

If you've paid a sub you're entitled to attend, vote, and speak. If you've never had a look at the building it contains some interesting and entertaining ski-related material on the walls. Between the walls are some interesting and entertaining people.

Discussions at the AGM can be quite stimulating, and there's a chance to chat afterwards.

See you there, maybe!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll be there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sadly, something's come up at the last minute, and I shall not be there. Sad
Have a drink on me Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick Zotov wrote:
Sadly, something's come up at the last minute

A piece of toast?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, Nope, central heating problems at elder son's home. Patched up now - but I couldn't make it now, I'm afraid.
Naturally, David, y drinks offer is on the basis that drinks are free, again wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anything of interest to report? Did Gerry make the Council?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No poop yet on the club forum. The drinks session must have turned into a bit of a party Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes there is - Jonpim must have been typing as you posted (and the Ski Club website seems to be the appropriate place to have posted it.)
latest report
Scrumpy, Thanks - you wre right, I had missed that posting. Quite agree the club forum is the place for discussion of AGM detail.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, there's no reason why you shouldn't know that Gerry Aitken is one of four new Council members and is now required to be a director, since that will be disclosed at Companies House.

Under the Club's post-2001 memorandum and articles of association any Council member has to be a director.

A great deal of stuff was explained and discussed last night. If members want the minutes they should be requested, since they're not automatically circulated. A commitment was given last night that AGM minutes would be circulated by January ... which is a big improvement on October!

By the way, those who believe the old bird can't fly any more will be interested to know that the membership data for 2005 (stated in the annual report) is as follows: 18,340 paying units, up from 17,259 in 2004. The gross membership, including additional family members in family subscriptions is - of course - higher.

So long as the Club communicates and delivers relevantly to the Great British Skiing Public the membership is sure to soar! A new president - Robert Swan OBE - first man to walk unsupported to both the North and South Poles - was voted in last night. He is a motivational speaker and works to motivate young people. He said he'd like to take a 'hands on' role in taking the Club forward.

I wonder if he'd like to become a snowHead? !

Robert Swan OBE
Click to enlarge.
ski holidays
Finally met up with DG and Gerry Aitkin ( not at the same time! ), Arnie Wilson plus a host of others.

It was a good and positive evening - but a late one!.

Fo anyone who wishes to read the minutes of the meeting ( unofficial ) there are over in the Ski Club forum under the AGM thread.
ski holidays
hibernia is referiing to my offering. These "unofficial minutes" were sacrificed in a Moderator Mass Posticide, but are now rejuvinated on snowheads.

The unofficial abbreviated and highly inaccurate minutes of the 2005 AGM (November 2005).

It was much better than I expected - no unpleasantness and club was very open about recent problems such as TravelExtras and Insurance, and DG was a model of self restraint.

Chairman’s report
• Mentioned an unfortunate incident at Aspen in 2001 which resulted in the ski club being sued for injuries sustained – the case was withdrawn Aug 2005
• “Bob” (Snowports UK): it is intended that SCGB be a “shareholder” (whataever that means) , but discussions were ongoing and the exact outcome was unclear – watch this space
• What to do with the Legacy from Group Captain Lang announced at the 2004 AGM was still not decided – so what to do with £34,000: any suggestions?
• Rationalisation of committees: so that they are all report to and were controlled by council. There are two types of committee:
- Working groups – long-term and open ended. There are two at present – Environment WG (which is chaired by Sally Cartwright and for which she clearly has a passion) and one other I have forgotten the name of.
- Task groups – short-term, with fixed life: at present there are groups working in the Legacy, Reps, Honorary Membership, and the Perry medal (did I get that right?)

Chief Exec’s report:
• Environment matters are clearly taken very seriously by the club, and especially so by both present (Sally Cartwright) and new president (Mr Robert Swan OBE). Respect the Mountain Wristbands had raised £7030, and this was being distributed. The new Green Resort Guide was mentioned.
• New online repping service announced for better organisation of the repping program. Members going to a Rep Resort will be able to inform the rep of their standards online before they go, and the rep will publish the intended program for members to see.
• Insurance: admitted there had been problems. It seems the club had opened up the standard policy to non-members. This doubled the numbers of users. There were claims by 7% (normal), but 7% of these claimants had complained about the service (not normal). This has been investigated. It would seem to be a problem of resources: more policies meant more claims, but no increase in staff (or not enough of an increase) meant not enough staff to deal with them. The main complaints were more about PR than anything: poor and late communication. There had also been rigid (pedantic) application of rules. The club has intervened on members behalf in many of these cases and assured us that most of these cases should receive just payment. The club has also changed the claims handlers from September – those of us who got the club policy before September will be with the old lot until (if?) we renew.
(I mentioned Bernard’s case to Caroline directly after the meeting: the club does know all about this, is plugging away on your behalf, but has not contacted you Bernard as they have no more information at present - they will as soon as they do (hows that for Irish?).
• Snowextras (Travelextras) – admitted this had failed – but other got stung including Ryanair and Easyjet

Finance
Fred cleared up the new look to accounts (to match the new way the club is presenting itself), and the seeming inconsistencies in membership figures (more families are waking up to the advantages of including their kids in Family Membership, so the average number in a family membership has increased).
Fred is retiring, and handed on to the new finance manager Michael Bound.

Introduction of new staff.
New president: Robert Swan. An impressive man. As wide as he is tall, and it is all solid muscle. I would have loved to see Nikolai suggesting the Environment group was disbanded with this man in the room.
New council members were “elected”. Well done Gerry and all the others.

Questions.
• Insurance – this had been covered already.
• Minutes – admitted they were published too late – this year should be ready in January
• Security – admitted having membership number on club letters was a mistake, and this has been corrected.
• DG’s various points on membership, accounts, cost of mag all cleared up
• Alan Jones had queries about the Articles and Memoranda – a long detailed completely impossible to understand (by me anyway) explanation from Fred followed. Alan was not really satisfied, but agreed to hold his peace (another example of model self restraint – well done Alan, and sorry I didn’t understand much of what was said).

Meeting ended and we all retired to the bar, where a very pleasant time was had by all. I met Graham Naylor (another snowhead), Gerry Aitken, Mark Ogilvie, Helen Atherton (part-time snowhead), Arnie Wilson, David Goldsmith, Olivia Hussey, Caroline Stuart-Taylor and Sally Cartwright, Maggie Colpus, and many more (sorry I have forgotten your names).
I requested more reps post on forum as I think the reps are a superb resource of skiing and resort knowledge that is not being properly used – there was general agreement this was a good idea, but it seems most reps are just not interested in the forum – some are even scared they will be flamed if they put their head above the parapet. A pity.

The highlight of the evening for me was during a short discussion in the AGM about age and skiing, and the difficulty of getting insurance once over 65. A few 50/60ish members had said their piece, when a wonderful gent told us whippersnappers to stop wining, and went on to describe how he had managed to get insurance for him and his wife now they were over 80!
(Please note the phrases “whippersnapper” and “wining” are journalistic invention, and actually bear no relation to how this charming man presented his story – I wish I knew his name.)

I just managed to get the last train home. All those not there actually missed an interesting and enjoyable evening.
snow report
thanks for that jonpim - you seem to have resurrected these " unofficial " minutes!.

For the record the SCGB have also said that they would be sending out the official minutes in January 2006 - any day now! Cool
latest report
Jonpim, thank you for putting your notes on the record again. Here are one or two points of fact which I think are correct:

1. The case was withdrawn in October 2005.
2. The group you've forgotten the name of is the Alpine Advisory Group.
3. Respect the Mountain revenues are higher than the figure you've quoted. My record of what was said was that £7030 had been paid to the Woodland Trust. Roughly £4000 was also paid in sponsorship of a postgraduate thesis on the environment.
4. If you met someone called "Olivia Hussey" this would be someone unknown to me. There is an Elisabeth Hussey, former editor of the Ski Club's magazine.
snow conditions
Tut, tut, David - did you not know that Olivia and Elizabeth were twins? wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy