Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Brevieres - time taken to get up top?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, having no clue about skiing this area could somebody tell me a definite time it takes to get up to the main ski area? I have looked at a piste map online but the map has to be zoomed out so far to get the whole area in that I cannot see the lifts and pistes clearly!

Number of lifts taken and total amount of time to get amongst the good pistes would be most helpful information, many thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I would like to know too - but have already booked. Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maybe 15 minutes to drive to the funicular then maybe about the same again to get to the top...Bit longer if you get the grand mott to the very top...

Is that what your asking?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry for hijacking: can the 15 m. drive be replacet by the new lift down to the mainlift, or can one ski down from the chalet side? Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thats if you have a car.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a bubble up from Brevieres which takes you to about half way up the Sache (10mins?). Some nice rounds down from there. You then have the option of two chairs. One very long and slow one up to the Eye of the Needle (guessing 15+ mins) or one that takes you to the top of the link down to Tignes le Lac. Once you are at Tignes le Lac, you have a few options, all of which would take about 45 minutes to get you on top of the GM.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eddiethebus, yes and no Very Happy We are going by train so no car!

Hyst, no problem, we're after the same info I think!

monitor, hmmmmm so realistically to get to a decent ski are that we won't get bored of it will take about 45 minutes? Going off Les Brevieres.... might need a re-think! I guess that's why the deal we are looking at is so cheap.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
swishtony, It would be one gondola to get to the skiing. From there you would need one more (short, but slow) chair to be able to ski down to Tignes. So 15 mins? from Brev to being able to ski into Tignes Le Lac. Lifts are Sache (the gondola) and Aiguille Rouge (chair)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Finding a piste map that is scrollable has been a nightmare so it's really hard to see the big picture of the whole area!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
May by this can help?

http://www.alpineelements.co.uk/community/new-lift-for-tignes-les-brevieres/

new lift to Chalet-side!

But still want to know wheather one can ski down as well.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends on time of year, in main season almost certainly. It is miles from the action, no mini bus with accommodation ? Mountainsun offer this.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski, Thank you for your info - that is how I see the situation. Very Happy

swishtony, - the 45 min I think was to the GM Glacierlift - a bit further away.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hyst, That lift is on the other side of the valley from the skiing. It's for Pedestrian access to the gondola. You can't ski down to the valley bottom,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski, Thanks - to bad - looked like a possibility on airfotos. Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hyst, It's only 100m long...
snow conditions
ski, better ski 100 m then walking, however may be by lift - getting older. wink
ski holidays
Sorry, should have been clearer. There are plenty nice runs from the top of the first gondola. If you then take one of the second chairs, you are right in the middle of it! The additional time I was quoting was to get you to the top of the Motte, assuming leisurely pace and some waiting. I love Brevieres. Some excellent restaurants too.
ski holidays
monitor,

To eat real good - any idea? Have heard the restaurants at the main lift at terrible expenceive. For evening out I look for real nice food and atmosfare.
snow report
You can almost always ski down to the village, even very late in the season (though the choice is a red which is partly a road or a tough black). The gondola is fast and I have never had to queue, though I've not stayed there so don't know if there is any problem in the early morning - though I doubt it.
latest report
We've stayed there and not had a problem getting up the mountain in the morning. I like the place although it is very small. The black ( called Sache ) is supposedly the second longest in Europe and is a great run apart from ( for me, a slow intermediate skier ) a steep unavoidable mogul field . Best bit of it is that the majority of it when pisted is more like a red but I guess as it is quite remote they classify it as a black to keep the uncertain off it. It is often shut tho' .
snow report
snowball, Are you shure we talk about the same lift? I was thinking about the newer lift for the Chalet area down til the main lift? Puzzled

If you scroll down on this link you can se where it should have been build:

http://www.alpineelements.co.uk/community/new-lift-for-tignes-les-brevieres/
snow report
15min from the picking up the lift in Les Brevieres to arriving in Le Lac sounds about right to me, but it's 3-4 years since I've been and I understand there's been some lift upgrades since then, so it could be faster? We timed the Sache bubble at 7min, then the short chair (not the one that goes right up to the eye of the needle) is about 5ish mins. Mind you take the red straight down into Le Lac if you want speed (it's an easy one though), as the blue is rather flat as may require poling.

From Le Lac you can pick your direction, or get the free bus to Val Claret.
latest report
Yeah, restaurants in Brevieres are quite expensive, but I think better vfm than many of the mountin restaurants, including in Val. L'Armailly is a nice treat. Pizza and salads good, and nice house wines. There is also a place right on the piste, opposite the gondola, that does pizza. It's pretty good but gets rammed on sunny days. I haven't stayed for evening meals there, so can't comment on that scene.
latest report
monitor, Ahh yes, I got stung 12€ for a couple of coffees at that one by the lift. I remember it well.

Better to cross the bridge for somewhere quieter and more reasonably priced snowHead

L'Armailly is nice for chalet night off though.
latest report
snowball You refer to a red down to Les Brev that's a road, but the summer road is a blue. It's narrow in places, but not difficult and is definitely correctly classified as a blue.

It was easy to come down that run in mid-April this year, plenty of snow cover.

We skied in Les Brev twice last year and never waited more than 3 or 4 minutes to get on the gondola first thing in the morning. And after the first 10 minutes or so of the day there never seemed to be a queue at all.
ski holidays
swishtony,
Quote:

Finding a piste map that is scrollable has been a nightmare so it's really hard to see the big picture of the whole area!

Is this one any good ?

http://www.tignesnet.com/item_files/espace_killy_piste_map.jpg
snow conditions
jonkgray78 wrote:
swishtony,
Quote:

Is this one any good ?

http://www.tignesnet.com/item_files/espace_killy_piste_map.jpg

Nice one, many thanks!
latest report
We stayed in Les Brevieres in January this year. Lifts up in the morning were never a problem, and you're skiing within 15 minutes and can head straight to Tignes. It's a massive ski area, so if you head over to Val D'Isere, it can feel like you're spending most of the morning getting there, and you'll need to spend most of the afternoon getting back - but it's all skiing. We skied off the mountain everyday, and there was a nice blue or red.

We ate in every night so couldn't comment on the restaurants, but Les Brevieres was a great base for the ski area, I'd definitely recommend it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The runs down into Les Breviers have always been some of my favourite in Tignes. Always very quiet, some steep and the only part of the area with trees. You are at the very furthest corner of the area however getting over, say to even the glacier at val d'isere(furthest point) doesn't take too long with the fast lifts that the whole area has. If you miss the last lift up from tignes le lac to ski back down you just jump on the free bus to tignes le bosses and slide down the easy green piste into le brev.
ski holidays
VicW, alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, and all other. Thanks, and found this info about the new "lift" up to the chalet area:
http://skirail.fr/?p=259&lang=fr Shock

It seems to be a quite OK location for our little family, and John's Chalets have not disapointed me yet.
snow report
Hyst Would that be John as in Ski Bonjour?
latest report
sj1608, No look here: http://www.savoieholidays.com/ Very Happy
latest report
Hyst, the pedestrian lift is useful if you're staying up the side of the hill and don't want to walk. You can ski down alongside the lift but it is all of 100m. That said, I clipped in many times last season rather than wait for the lift.

Eating out: Brev has a small but decent collection of places to eat. As long as you don't try to buy 4 drinks at Le'Etoile de Neige at the bottom of Sache, you can also eat for rather less expense than elsewhere in the EK. I was paying less, in Brev, for a GOOD pizza than I would have to pay in Pizza Express in London.

Sadly, no Brev trip for me this year, so someone else will have to keep Vincent's cash flow going in my absence.
snow conditions
zammo wrote:
I was paying less, in Brev, for a GOOD pizza than I would have to pay in Pizza Express in London.

We paid less for a very nice pizza last Friday night in Tignes than we did in Chalone Sur Soane where we stay on our trips to the alps.

Is Tignes becoming cheap Puzzled
ski holidays
zammo, Good news! Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Not sure what it was called but in Val Claret we lunched at the place by the Grisly bar (avoid Grisly vastly expensive) where the ski schools meet near the bottom of Tufs. For 2 adults, 3 children, adults with steak and chips, kids meals with ice cream dessert, small beers and colas for 55euro total. Takeaway pizza place was a bargain by the Sherpa super market too. We did take a toastie maker with us and quite often one of us would pop back and start a few toasties before the others got back and meet at the bottom to picnic. We also did flasks of soup, kept them in the ski locker and served those as a top up to bought lunches. Saved us loads of time too as the restaurants were rammed at lunchtime so was quicker and we were back on the lifts before the crowds. Generally I didn't think Tignes was too bad price wise if you pick carefully.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy