Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix UCPA over Christmas- Dec 21 - 28

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Anyone heading to Chamonix UCPA over xmas this year? I went to Flaine in jan 2012 and was really impressed with the whole UCPA setup. Any ideas on how Chamonix compares? Am an intermediate-to-crappy level skiier (red runs are doable once I've worked up to it for a few days!!).

Look forward to your thoughts and/or seeing you there Smile

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should also add:

- Am looking for full-time ski lessons
- Argentiere seems to have been refurbished this year and is also running from Dec 21-28. May also be a good idea?
- I don't speak much French at all, so an English speaker or two would also be a useful thing (but, if Flaine is any indication, I can make do with minimal french for ski instruction:P)

Excited!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm booked into Val Thorens UCPA for xmas week (full time lessons).
I thought about Argentiere or Cham but the skiing spread out along the valley with busses needed to get to and from some of the runs put me off a little. I'm sure the skiing can be worth the small amount of extra hassle and I'll probably go when I can take advantage of some of the off piste.
For my 1st week of the season Val T seemed to make more sense for me as I'm only an early intermediate atm.

I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mrme, you can get by in Chamonix speaking English alone because almost everyone there speaks a bit of English. Check with UCPA about transport to the ski areas — I always see UCPA buses dropping people off and collecting them, which makes me think it's part of the package.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I thought about Argentiere or Cham but the skiing spread out along the valley with busses needed to get to and from some of the runs put me off a little.

Oh really? That's quite a turn-off... hrmm. I was under the impression that it was a just one bus to get to the ski area, and you were good to go from there. This is a whole different ball game !

Maybe Val Thorens is looking better - and I imagine snow cover will be a bit better. Argentiere seems to have the benefit of having a ridiculously cheap student offer, though (450EUR!)!

I went through this same pain of deciding last time, and Flaine was excellent, so maybe I should just pull the trigger on something Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

mrme, you can get by in Chamonix speaking English alone because almost everyone there speaks a bit of English.

Cool, that's helpful. But I'm pretty good with hand gestures too NehNeh Do I need to be concerned about snow quality in mid dec? (sorry, I'm from Australia - don't know these resorts at all, really).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrme I could be wrong about just how much you need to use the buses, that was only based on some comments from people I met at La plagne (which was a very nice UCPA) and a small amount of googleing.
Cham is a shorter and cheaper transfer as well, you should just book somewhere Toofy Grin
If you go with full time instruction I'm sure the Cham instructors will make sure you don't spend too much time on the buses though I imagine it'll be hard to go back to the centre for nice hot lunches like I did in La Plagne.

I'm sure some more experienced snowheads will be along later to correct my misconceptions rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'd only really use the bus at the start and the end of the day in Chamonix, unless you mistakenly end up at a poor area (due to prevailing weather) and have to change - but with an instructor that shouldn't happen. Each area in Chamonix is more than big enough for a days skiing (or many days!)

If it was me I'd go for Cham centre, but that's because I like to be right in the middle of everything. In Argentiere though you're already at one of the (best!) ski areas, so less travel, and there are some good bars locally, and I'm sure plenty of entertainment in the UCPA.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm also and heading to UCPA this season (Chamonix). Shame it's not until the last week of January or you could have had a fellow Aussie to ski with!

Sounds like I'll have to keep the La Plagne UCPA in mind for future trips. Always so hard to decide which French resort to go to with so much to chose from. I decided on Chamonix as I'm already going to Meribel this trip so wanted something a bit different for my second French location.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Daishan, good choice re Val T UCPA - its super convenient for ski-in ski-out and you normally go back for lunch which I liked as you got a chance to rest for an hour and dry out. The boot room has heated boot racks and its lovely putting on warm boots after lunch!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if you stay at ucpa in chamonix, go to the pizza restaurant over the road, its the best in town!! Very Happy

The disadvantage of chamonix is the transport thing, the advantage is that you can pick and choose where you go based on conditions Smile

definitely take lessons though, if your "working upto reds" chamonix will bring your skiing on leeps and bounds. Everyone leaves a better ski/snowboarder!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went to Chamonix UCPA over Xmas 2 years ago and then Val Thorens UCPA over New Year last/this year. If I had to choose between the two I would pick Val Thorens but I'd like to go back to Chamonix as well.

In terms of the centres, VT is much nicer (it's only been open for a year I think) but nothing wrong with Cham if you're there to ski.

Resort wise, in Cham you need to get buses to/from the ski areas which isn't really that bad but I don't like it. UCPA does a bus at the beginning/earlyish end of the day but there are lots of free buses that you can take instead. In contrast, VT is all linked together and if you're at the UCPA then it's ski in/ski out. In general I preferred the pistes of VT, though I'm not sure I can tell you why.

Do you like trees? There are none in VT, and lots in Cham. Even if you just go slightly off-piste you can be going through trees. It's not something I'd really done before then and I thought it was fantastic!

Definitely take the lesson option if you can, it's incredible value for a week of lessons and I've never had a problem not speaking French at UCPA. You'll also be in a group with other people your level so if you want to find people to ski with then it's quite easy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice to know Val T is good Smile

As mrme pointed out the Argentiere ucpa was only just refurbished for this season so besides the fact that the bathrooms are in the halls rather than en suite it's likely to be one of the best centres accommodation wise.
If you end up going to Argentiere I'd love to hear how you get on, as I'm very tempted to go sometime in March, if I can mange 4 ski trips in as many months rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Daishan, 4 trips? Thats just greedy! I've booked Argentiere late march so will be a little late to report back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep greedy, need to make up for all the years i wasn't skiing Razz
Guess it's technically 3 trips but 4 weeks, doing the double for the S10BB snowHead
snow conditions
All great stuff - thanks guys, really helpful.

One last thing: anyone with experience with cross-country skiing at Argentiere ? Thinking I might do a week of that and then a week of downhill skiing at VT.... may be able to squeeze it in Wink
snow report
regarding the Cham UCAP: english speaking? not an issue,
more like can you speak Swedish? Beaucoup de Suédoise!
latest report
mrme, I haven't done any cross county skiing but Cham has well-maintained routes (I passed them every day). You'd be crazy to go Cham and not ski on the mountains though — they are spectacularly high. Quite breathtaking, really.

OliC speaks the truth about the Swedes. There's a big Scandi expat community in Chamonix.
ski holidays
I meant lots stay at the ucpa, a couple of single mate's of mine have even joked of trying to going drinking in the UCPA bar to try and pull...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy