Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Bulgarian resort?

Poster: A snowHead
I am tempted to try a Bulgarian resort towards the end of the season - march time.
Which resort do people recommend?
It's all about the skiing for me - not bothered about basic accommodation or lack of sides ski etc.
Am middling to strong intermediate level.
Any tips much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That should read Après ski not sides ski lol
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it's all about the skiing and you're a middling to strong intermediate, I'm not sure I'd recommend ANY Bulgarian resorts, particularly in March. Granted, I've only skied there once, but once was enough. The infrastructure was hopeless with queues for everything, rubbish piste management with piles of snow off to the sides and bare, muddy pistes down the middle (in early February of an otherwise good snow year). On a positive note, it was cheap, we had a good time (mostly because here was lots of us and we made our own fun) and the beginners in my group had decent instruction that didn't cost the earth, but otherwise........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks
Yes I've read a lot of bad press about it.
It would be mainly for the cost plus I like the culture.. The piste reviews seem to suggest intermediate is the best catered.
Hasn't it improved a lot in past years?
Has anyone been last season?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only been to Pamporovo and as a beginner it was great however not sure I would pay to go back now. I also went to Jasna in Slovakia a few years later and would still fo back there now if the snow was good. The skiing was really fun and it looks like they have really updated the lifts since I was there, it was really, really cheap as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks I will check that out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just read your review - sounds interesting!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
False economy .... with

Prostitutes, beggars, poor conditions, long queues, theft, pressure sellers, corruption, dangerous chair lifts, etc

Look for a cheap deal in Italy ... Austria or France ...

Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Phyllis Stein wrote:
False economy .... with

Prostitutes, beggars, poor conditions, long queues, theft, pressure sellers, corruption, dangerous chair lifts, etc

Look for a cheap deal in Italy ... Austria or France ...

Very Happy

i really hate those
Quote:
beggars, poor conditions, long queues, theft, pressure sellers, corruption, dangerous chair lifts, etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jac Sprat, Although I've not been to Bulgaria, I gather that some of the on-slope toilet facilities are a bit basic....

http://youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8

wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Phyllis Stein, Never let a good cliche get in thee way of the truth I never say any of those things you mention on my holiday to Bulgaria, stayed in a lovely little log cabin right next to the slopes, ate in a nice local restaurant full of Bulgarians, no queues to speak of apart from one day which was national holiday and best snow of my life, it snowed at least a foot of fresh every night and we had blue skies every day, if only I had know then that wasn't the norm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmmm ... I only went once but in a 7 day stint in Borovets ...

Propositioned 4 times by prostitutes ...
Skis stolen
Jacket stolen
Room broken in to
Beggars on street
Stray dogs everywhere
Queue for main bubble each morning at least 30 minutes
Chairlift sourced from French resorts (decommissioned)

Maybe I was just unlucky ... Or lucky from dennisp perspective

Not cliche ... It's a hole ... FACT

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 24-10-13 21:25; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did a review on here of Bansko which u can find via a search. Don't think i'd go too late in March, but it is different and in lots of good ways. Slopes reminded me a lot of Pila in Italy, food less so but if u luv yr stews you'll love it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh ... Forgot the food poisoning ... 20% of the party .. Rila food recycling!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If it is all about the skiing then don't go to Bulgaria. I have been a couple of times and think it is a bit of a false economy. OK it is cheap, but you get what you pay for. If you want to go on the lash all week and do a bit of skiing on the side then it is fine. If it is the skiing you are after then I would put some more money towards it and go to Austria. If you book your flights now there are loads of deals to be had. Go onto one of the resort websites and you will find there are plenty of good quality b+bs that are very reasonable. I reckon if you DIY then it is possible to screw the price down so you are not a million miles away from the price of going to Bulgaria
snow conditions
lynseyf, Jasna is not that cheap any more, at least for ski passes, 185Euros for standard 6 days pass. Close if not the same as for similar size resorts in Alpes.
Piste map looks great though, a few more lifts on the south side and it will be a complete resort.

http://www.jasna.sk/en/mountains-and-holiday/maps/

latest report
Tom W, when we went it was pre € and think we got something ridiculous like 10 days for €100, I would imagine everything else will have gone up a bit as well then but over a week you would probably still save a few €100's
snow report
lynseyf, no doubt it looks very good, must be great to all within the driving distance. Still I read on Polish ski forum there are often complains about poor piste preparations and number of open lifts/runs.
snow report
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd recommend ANY Bulgarian resorts, particularly in March. Granted, I've only skied there once, but once was enough. The infrastructure was hopeless with queues for everything, rubbish piste management with piles of snow off to the sides and bare, muddy pistes down the middle (in early February of an otherwise good snow year).
I've also been to Bulgaria once. To Bansko for a three-day trip(in Jan 2010) - and, speaking as Mrs MA and I found it, I would have to disagree with every point raised above.

Having skied at about 160 ski areas in 15 countries, Mrs MA and I would definitely go back to Bansko, or try another Bulgarian area. No sign whatsoever of crime or (disappointingly Toofy Grin ) prostitution - but what we did find was great snow (some powder); excellent off piste (some good steep stuff and tree skiing); no queues; quiet slopes; fantastic standard of accommodation (self catering); completely different cultural and travel experience (we flew to Sofia and hired a car); and cheap as chips for food and drink. Happy days Very Happy ....

So I'd say try Bulgaria by all means Jac Sprat. Approach it, as we did, with an open mind and you might well have a great time.

A few snaps below of our brilliant Bansko trip:

Where's the rep when you need them at a T Junction?

Er, are we not in the Alps?

First impression of resort from arrival road? Dump.

Awful snow and crowded slopes:

Rubbish piste grooming:

I've never been one for views....

Do you know the one about the Ice Bear love?
snow conditions
our coach got held up and robbed in sofia, havent been back since! Shocked
ski holidays
Tom W, to be honest the ungroomed slopes were part of the attraction for us, they didn't groom the whole upper part of the mountain and when we got fresh snow it was great
snow report
Thanks
I have heard very good reports too.
Will see if there any any really cheap packages.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy