Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skype Interview?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm currently bouncing around the house as i have just been given an interview for a resort job this winter (customer service / organisation / sales).

My only issue is is that this will be a Skype interview as I'm obviously not currently in the country.

It's the first ever interview I'll be doing for a ski related job, as well as the first over skype...

Does anyone have any advice? I have done loads of in person interviews in the past mostly for office jobs and smart has always been the way forward - but dressing up seems a little overkill for this kind of job, especially when it'll only be over video call?

I'd very much appreciate your views and comments - I really want this job!!!

Thanks in advance,
Sn0wSt0rm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Treat it the same as a face to face interview. Dress smartly, sit at a table or desk, have your CV etc. in front of you, nothing stupid in the background. The person interviewing you will be at work and dressed in normal office attire so you should mirror them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Naked from the waste down.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Raceplate, +1

sn0wst0rm, make sure it's quiet. Use the Skype settings or your own webcam to check that you are well lit - a lamp in front of you or have a bright window in front of you might help. Just be careful of shadows.

Kick anyone else off the net unless you have a really good connection and ideally have a wired connection between device and router.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sn0wst0rm, your head and shoulders need to look presentable. The rest of you can do what it likes. Remember to look at the webcam, not the person on screen - this means that on their screen you will appear to be making eye contact rather than looking down. And don't get stressed if your connection gets glitchy or drops out - allowing yourself to get wound up about things beyond your control isn't good in a customer service/sales person. I attempted a Skype interview this summer and we eventually had to abandon it and talk on the phone instead. Got the job though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been at the other end - I have interviewed people over Skype (not ski-related jobs). I really couldn't care less how they dressed but perhaps that's just me. FWIW I've seen lots of CVs and many are basically a tissue of lies. The main purpose of a 1st round interview, for me, is to validate the person has the experience they are claiming in the CV.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
as said, if using an Ipad, but it on a high desk with you in a chair, not on your coffee table with you looking heavily down on it. Be well presented at least, and ensure your connection is as clear as you can, ideally call from a desktop hardwired I guess.

Kick everyone else out of your house too, or at least lock the door. Dont be doing the interview with your mates playing the PS in the background and a beer by your right hand!

Then do the usual research on the company/area, prepare questions, and spend 10 minutes prior to the allotted time just relaxing and going through what you want to ask/talk about. Be prepared for questions like "what can you bring that others can't" and "how can you diffuse an angry guest" and "why do you want to work for us"...all the usual obvious stuff.

Good luck, and be yourself!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dogwatch, when I think about it, I may have been wearing a T-shirt which says 'Don't grow up - it's a trap!' Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^

I know someone who answered the cliché "what would you like to be doing in 5 years" with "I'd like to be a part-time food taster". P.S. he didn't get the job.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dogwatch, I, on the other hand, did. So either they didn't notice the T-shirt or they will be a splendid company to work for. Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dennisp, I can just imagine the police interview,

Plod, "and how exactly did you diffuse Mr Snodgrass?"

sn0wst0rm, "As a single element through the bathroom window. He was not very particulate"

I think someone meant defuse... Razz
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Diffuse/defuse, pet hate. Almost as annoying as disinterested/uninterested.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the pointers!

I have done all the research and prepared a load of potential questions so just need to go through it tonight and do a skype test run to be on the safe side. Though from experience of conference calls in jobs you're right Lizzard the connection will inevitably drop at some point.

I'm going to go with jeans and a shirt I think. Smart casual. He won't see the jeans unless I stand up anyway. Really good to hear from the other person's perspective though thanks dogwatch!

Hardest thing I think will be to keep looking at the camera as I'm so used to making eye contact instead.

I'll let you know what happens!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tiffin wrote:
Naked from the waste down.

But then he shouldn't be sitting on sofa with wide angle lens on camera Very Happy Or maybe he should, how should I know who might be on other side Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Treat it the same as you would a telephone interview except the person can also see your face. Check the settings beforehand to make sure you're not stuck in technical trouble hell and be aware that there might be a delay on things so you might need to take that into account.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
under a new name, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Diffuse/defuse, pet hate. Almost as annoying as disinterested/uninterested.

I quite like using "disinterested", its amazing how many people think your "uninterested" rolling eyes
snow report
eddiethebus, it's amazing how many people don't know the difference between "your/you're" and "its/it's" Toofy Grin
latest report
Raceplate, or "there/their/they're". jeebus, internet dictionary heroes calling me out rolling eyes I think my grama is better than most of you people hear.
ski holidays
Set the webcam visual effects to pirate.
latest report
Quote:

Set the webcam visual effects to pirate.

^ + a lot
latest report
dennisp wrote:
I think my grama is better than most of you people hear.

This is a joke, right?
latest report
My personal bête noire is "here, here" as a signal of agreement (instead of "hear, hear"). What on earth do people think that could possibly mean?
ski holidays
Friend of a friend's Facebook profile once said, "I hate people who mix up their/they're - if you can't get you're grammar right don't add me".

I still wonder if it was intentional.
snow conditions
Raceplate, as a reasonably well known ad for the ad agency who wrote it went, "the apostrophe, the difference between a business that knows its poo-poo and a business that knows it's poo-poo"

Lizzard, but diffuse (adj.), diffuse (vb.) and defuse (or de-fuse if we're being a little picky) are all pronounced differently Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

What on earth do people think

They don't, very often. Laughing
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Raceplate, as a reasonably well known ad for the ad agency who wrote it went, "the apostrophe, the difference between a business that knows its poo-poo and a business that knows it's poo-poo"
Nice one Very Happy
ski holidays
I did my only Skype interview sat on a hostel bed in Oz...dressed in my Board shorts and T... with surfboard and wax all over the place.

Job was for Ski Resort Rep.

The couple interviewing me were very relaxed and dressed casually and drinking coffee.

It was the most relaxed interview I've ever had... got the job on the spot Cool
snow report
spud, What sort of questions did you get asked? Anything out of the ordinary?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sn0wst0rm, Treat as you would a face to face interview. Just make sure your browsers are not running (Anyone would recognise a Facebook notification ping). Good luck Smile
latest report
sn0wst0rm wrote:
spud, What sort of questions did you get asked? Anything out of the ordinary?

Nothing out of the ordinary... just questions related to the job, my experience and whether I could get on and talk with people. We actually laughed and spoke more about our skiing experiences...and where we had been.

I've often found if you get stuck deflect the question with a question yourself...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy