Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best (wicking) base layers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Right.... I think I've bored everyone to death with my search for the perfect ski shell. Moving quickly on let's deal with base layers now.

I sweat like a trooper once I start (not sure troopers sweat a lot but it sounded right....) and currently cycle 40 odd miles 3 times a week to keep up my fitness levels for skiing. Am looking for the perfect thermal base layer that will keep me warm (but not crazy hot!) and has excellent wicking properties. I have 2 merino wool ones currently which work well for the skiing but have already found them too warm for the cycling.

Maybe I need different types of layers for cycling and skiing, does anyone have experience of a base layer that might fit the bill for both jobs?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you really need a base layer for cycling?

I only ever use one if it's really brass monkeys.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not really for insulation but more for getting the sweat away from my body. Maybe using the wrong strategy (and wrong forum rolling eyes ) but I need something to carry the sweat away. Fairly new to the biking so maybe I need to get on a biking forum and see what most cyclist use.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mesh - i use Craft mesh baselayers for cycling and actually used them for skiing last year. for skinning i would wear a very light windbreaker (patagonia houdini) over the top and add a fleece over the top of all that if it was really cold

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-mesh-superlight-sleeveless-base-layer/

i got a couple of these on sportpursuit for skiing next year

http://www.aclima.no/products/coolnet/polo-w-zip

keeps the mesh but nice to have some fleece to keep the neck warm and in higher wear areas where mesh can be a bit fragile

if you're a sweaty betty (like me) merino just wets out and even light man made baselayers (eg patagonia capilene 1) doesn't dry out as quickly as the marketing blurb would have you believe. IMO anyway
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, thanks for that info, most helpful. Those Aclima layers look perfect, just read the blurb on them and I think they are exactly what I need and will work for both cycling and skiing. Crew neck ones fine as all my mid layers have collars/polo necks to keep the neck warm. Now to find somewhere that sells them over here..... gutted I missed them on SP, I use the site a lot but never noticed that sale!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
swishtony, here you go

http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/aclima.html

the craft cycling stuff is pretty good and cheap if you want to experiment and see whether you get on with mesh before spending too much cash
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, many thanks, Google found nothing! Just ordered a mesh one from Wiggle for £20, bargain! I think it might do the job perfectly for the cycling and I can always stick to the wool layers for skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I still just go for a simple thin Helly Hansen Lifa top combined with a shell for skiing. If it's really cold I'll use the high wicking t-shirt underneath. I use them for cycling as well and find them fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have tried loads of the wicking type stuff, Helly Hansen, Adidas clima cool, Nike dry fit etc.

I used to get the Adidas clima lite tennis stuff as its cut nice and loose and never feels restrictive.
However, I recently got a berghaus Argentium top and find it amazing. In the last couple of week's crappy weather I have been running in my mountain equipment Firefox jacket and found that all my various tops started to hold moisture and started to wet out the jacket in certain areas. The berghaus top doesn't seem to do that at all, it seems really efficient.
So much so that after a 10k I stopped to stretch out and could actually see the steam vapour coming off my back through the jacket yet the jacket was bone dry on the inside by the time I got home a couple of minutes later.

I'm going to be getting a few more in I reckon.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When cycling, I find my cycling jersey is as good at wicking as anything else. When it's cold I might wear an underarmour base-layer but that's about it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also cycle as well as ski and own Helly Hansen Lifa, Icebreaker Oasis 200 and Odlo Evo Warm. I've found the Lifa to be the best all rounder, it wicks sweat much more effectively than the Icebreaker, but isn't as warm. The Odlo also better at wicking sweat but is noticeably warmer. Saying all that the Icebreaker is the nicest top that I wear most often.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, Bought one of those mesh layers, it is brilliant! Had a very hilly ride last night and worked up a real sweat. Skin totally dry but top was soaking..... now to get a decent breathable jacket!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swishtony, great - glad it's working for you! Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy