Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Safety on The Slopes

Poster: A snowHead
We're trying to get a feel for what people are thinking about various topics on the slopes at the moment and have created this survey

http://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/ski-survey-2013.asp

and would be really grateful for anyone who is able to spare 5 mins and fill it in.

I hope this is ok to post - I have emailed admin a few days ago but haven't heard anything back so thought I would take a deep breath and chance it. There's the chance to win £100 in M and S vouchers for filling it in too.

Happy to post survey results here too if that's of interest.

Thanks so much.

Paula
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paula kay, re Q11/12 - what the hell are leg bindings? Last time I looked they were something worn by ancient Saxons and civil war soldiers...

Do you mean racers' shin guards? or knee supports? or do my skis have bindings on them (what skis don't other than blades)? or what?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Done. A couple of questions need to be tweaked.

When answering no for 'leg bindings' I was asked what I thought about them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always rock leg bindings. They go well with my cloak, battle axe and horned helmet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I assumed by leg bindings they meant socks. Which are, IMO, more important than helmets.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Done. Maybe leg bindings are what you call it if you get caught up in your powder traces...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry, but what the hell is a leg binding? And I just love this one:

19. Do you carry avalanche equipment (spade, gadgets to help you be found etc) with you?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paula kay, I came across a cookie on that page which expires 23 April 2014. I can't see how that conforms to your privacy policy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways,

You are DG's socks and I claim my £5
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Crikey, what a bad questionnaire design.

Are leg bindings just another name for tendons? They stop the legs falling apart.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
26 needs a 'no' option. And really, just what is a leg binding? Trousers? I always wear trousers, definitely.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher, Well I've been called some things in my time but never THAT!

Sir, I demand satisfaction!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I honestly can't fill that in. So many answers would be such a compromise that it wouldn't reflect my actual opinion.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef, that's how I feel.

Now then, where's my spade, gadget and leg bindings? I'm off skirunning.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feef, indeed.
snow report
Richard_Sideways,

See you outside the bar in 5 minutes
latest report
Oh dear....bailing out at question 2.
qu 6...how is it possible to ski with kids, even someone elses, without noticing if they have a helmet on? (unless you are so shortsighted that you shouldn't be skiing anyway!)
qu 7...presupposes one of the answers is the one you would give.
qu 8.....eh? Puzzled (my answer would be "having fun and skiing like a goddess")
qu 9.....ditto.
qu 11......i guess you mean knee braces, but the fact that you don't know what they are called suggests you have no idea...
qu 12...ditto.

aha! qu 13-answer-yes!
qu 14...find me anyone who doesn't know someone who has been injured skiing. In my case...it's easy...i can start the list with....me!
qu15-I was wearing a helmet.
qu 16-as I broke my arm....you work it out.
qu 17-yes...but you don't add the issue of going with a guide..
qu 19...by "gadgets"...I think you mean transceivers. You tend to need one rather than many per person. Do your research!
qu 22...add in-yes a glass or 2 and I CAN see it makes a difference....
qu 25....eh? what about advanced on piste skiers?
qu 26....what about 11 and 12 year olds??????? Or shall we just not bother with protecting their precious pre-teen bonces at all.....??

Was this designed by the Health and Safety Executive?
I so....we're all going to hell in a handcart...maybe I SHOULD start reading the Daily Mail after all.....
rolling eyes
latest report
I'm getting a blank page here in Germany on my iPad. Considering how popular tablets and phone Apps are it seems odd that I cannot browse my "account" if I'm away from the UK and using a tablet to save weight! I thought I was excluded due to being identified as using a foreign IP, but if Lizzard can see it, why can't I? I believe you may still be in the same country as me or are you on holiday back in Blighty?
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, I can see it, and (as far as the internet is concerned) I'm in Amsterdam.

On scrolling down to check, this caught my eye:
28. Do you think it should be compulsory to wear a helmet to get insurance?

Some re-drafting required there as I'm getting an image of people sitting on sofas and putting on helmets to ring their brokers.
latest report
albinomountainbadger, So it is the tablet that is the problem? Seems daft before I even see the questions! wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I'm seeing it ok on my iPad in Switzerland
latest report
Samerberg Sue, it works fine on my iPad.
snow report
The first question got me - I don't go on holiday in the winter! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Some badly worded questions......I said I didn't know anyone who's been injured, but the next question was whether they were wearing a helmet, with no n/a answer. Also I could only answer one group who should be wearing helmets so plumped for kids, when I might have put beginners and teens too.

And still none the wiser about what a leg binding is despite a google search, plenty if Viking and Saxon leg binding links!
snow report
It's easy to see how people can get precisely the answers they want from this type of activity.

I guess it's a way to try to bolster a weak argument, but it's unscientific at best.

My biggest tip for safety on "the slopes" won't fit in that box. You can have it for free though: there's a difference in the type of risk you face depending on the type of slope you're on.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, no, I am still in the Fatherland. As is most of Holland this week.
snow conditions
Who the F**k are Essential Travel? Oh I see they are a Silver Medal winner in the best travel insurance providers awards 2012.

That would explain why the survey that they are spamming, presumably to inform some policy or commercial decisions has been crafted by someone whose closest exposure to ski equipment seems to have been walking past the yoghurt cabinet in Tesco.

No wonder it's impossible to get any sense on whether an insurance policy covers specific things.
ski holidays
fatbob, ^ +1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is a leg binding a (snowboard) leash? Was this questionnaire originally outsourced to China then put through google translate?

(crosses Essential Travel off any list for ever considering insurance....)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 22-10-13 18:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Is a leg binding a (snowboard) leash? Was this questionnaire originally outsourced to China then put through google translate?

Laughing Laughing

You might well be correct about the snowboard leash though. Of course as a skier I'd say that snowboarders should only ever be allowed out on a leash (and only then very rarely) wink Toofy Grin
snow report
fatbob wrote:
...crafted by someone whose closest exposure to ski equipment seems to have been walking past the yoghurt cabinet in Tesco.

Brilliant !

One day there might be a survey posted on here that I feel like filling in... but I doubt it.
latest report
Ahh..well...we all know who we WON'T be buying insurance from. It almost makes me want to abandon my helmet just to stick 2 fingers up to the morons who designed this absurd, pathetic, ill informed so called "questionnaire".

Hang on.... Ski insurance from someone who doesn't understand skiing....actually...why don't we all fill it out with the most absurd replies...what fun we can have! Twisted Evil heheheheheh!
latest report
Perty wrote:
Ahh..well...we all know who we WON'T be buying insurance from. It almost makes me want to abandon my helmet just to stick 2 fingers up to the morons who designed this absurd, pathetic, ill informed so called "questionnaire".

Hang on.... Ski insurance from someone who doesn't understand skiing....actually...why don't we all fill it out with the most absurd replies...what fun we can have! Twisted Evil heheheheheh!

+1

If someone can't be @rsed to put together a balanced survey, they don't deserve a serious answer.

Here're some of my answers:

11. Do you wear leg bindings on the slopes? *

No

12. Do you feel leg bindings are more or less important than wearing a helmet? *

More important

Since I don't know what the heck is leg binding, naturally I don't wear one.

But nonetheless, I think it's "more important" than wearing a helmet! wink

26. Do you believe any of these groups should wear a helmet? *

Snowboarders (you can probably tell I'm a skier) Smile

27. Do you think it should be compulsory to wear a helmet? *

No

28. Do you think it should be compulsory to wear a helmet to get insurance? *

No

29. What would be your biggest tip for safety on the slopes?

Go off-piste, where no one can crash into me
ski holidays
Quote:

If someone can't be @rsed to put together a balanced survey, they don't deserve a serious answer.

I haven't ever seen a survey or questionnaire posted to the internet that is well thought out. Every single one posted here has had at least one question that needed questioning.

Plus everyone will try to work out what the purpose of the survey is, and answer to bias or sway the results accordingly.

I generally refuse to answer all of them.
latest report
Oh. Come on you lot, you are just being harsh

Leg bindings are those buckles on your boots that attach them to your legs
I know some of you "advanced" guys go round with them "loose", but that is just plain dangerous

I for one, am extremely grateful for Existential Travail reminding us of this extremely dangerous act.

"Keep your leg bindings done up always ... Especially if you've had a 2-3 glasses of beer at lunchtime and you are a child who isn't wearing a helmet and forgot to check their insurance "
Add that to the Skiers' Code
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy