Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

V early season skiing 2013/4 - which resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've switched jobs and ended up with a gap for 1-30 November. I'm itching to ski but my knowledge of 'what's good' is probably totally irrelevant at this time of year. I've seen papers, websites etc recommending Ischgul, Zermatt, amongst others.

Am interested to know if anyone has a good pointer on a decent resort at this time of year? To be honest it would be a v relaxed trip as I'd probably end up travelling solo and just brushing up technique / breaking in a new pair of touring boots. As a result, I don't mind if the resort is small and I'm repeating runs; it's more important that the snow is ok!

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes has already opened - some early snow was allowing some intrepid souls to ski from the glacier down to the village early last week - looking at the webcam that's not possible at the moment but there are a god number of runs on the glacier that will be fine over your period.

PS Welcome to Snowheads Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for Tignes. I skied there on 1st December three seasons ago and all the runs around le Lac and Val Claret were open and the conditions were absolutely spectacular. Plus the mountain was pretty much empty. As chocksaway says you also have the security of the glacier.

Perhaps best to make a (very) late decision on it and head where the snow is?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Perhaps best to make a (very) late decision on it and head where the snow is?

yes. But you wouldn't go far wrong with Tignes. Try Mountainsun for very good value stays, including lift pass and transfers from Geneva. And welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am staying with mountain sun week 4 Nov. good value
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt also has glaciers, of course. And for non glacial snow Val Thorens, as the highest of all the major resorts will tend to get enough earlier (and late).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cool thanks a lot guys. Sounds like Tignes is a good bet - I've been before so know its a good area in general: good to hear it holds up in the early season. I'll check out Mountain Sun.

That said I was slightly hoping that someone would recommend a spot in Austria - I've not been before so it'd be good to go somewhere new... if there is snow!

D
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DJWoo, I you want Austira then I know quite a few people who are heading the Pitztal end of this week. Not been ourselves, we're off to Tignes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DJWoo,

The top 7 are Austrian glaciers ........

http://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=Berg,DESC
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Something like half of resorts currently open are in Austria. Stubai, Pitztal glaciers etc. Ischgl probably won't open until towards the end of the month, 20-something-th I think. How long do you want to go for?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went to Hintertux this weekend and all was ok. Enough open to keep you occupied.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Worth noting that by all accounts one of the Rosolin lifts in Tignes broke in a major way yesterday (in a 'reports of minor injuries' way). All second hand news at the moment, but this will have some effect on the autumn skiing (particularly in terms of queus for other lifts and/or queues for the other Rosolin...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latest snow report is 5 lifts open in Tignes and 8 pistes Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt! The end. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stubai, Austria has 18 lifts open. Hintertux, Austria has 15 lifts open.
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
Worth noting that by all accounts one of the Rosolin lifts in Tignes broke in a major way yesterday (in a 'reports of minor injuries' way). All second hand news at the moment, but this will have some effect on the autumn skiing (particularly in terms of queus for other lifts and/or queues for the other Rosolin...

yeah i was told it pretty much fell over! Puzzled
latest report
Great thanks for the pointers. Sounds like Stubai and Hintertux are worth investigating a lot more (I've been to Zermatt a few too many times Perty but agree it is a top place!). Any tips on good places to stay in the early season would be appreciated too.

Hope everyone was ok in Tignes - the bad thing about ski lifts is that there's nothing you can do once you're on them.
latest report
http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/10/19/tignes-un-teleski-deraille-plusieurs-blesses

T-bar. Not really "plusieurs" injured - just 6, and thankfully none sounds serious. Must have been very scary though. I can't imagine it will take them long to get it back working again.
snow conditions
Val Thorens, Tignes or Zermatt are all good options.
snow conditions
Quote:
Val Thorens, Tignes or Zermatt are all good options.
Saas Fee is worth a day or two as well - nice village too.

On a longer trip with a car, you can have great fun with an Austrian glaciers road trip - Pitztal, Kaunertal, Soelden, Stubai and Hintertux are all easily do-able on the same holiday. All are worth a visit. Accommodation of even a single night (especially in low season) is never an issue in Austria - just turn up in the village of your choice, take your pick and and knock on doors.

If at Soelden in late November, there's every possibility that the non-glacier, high altitude pistes of Obergurgl (which is just up the road) could also be open. They've been known to do free lift passes on their opening weekend.
snow conditions
pam w, 'plusieurs' generally being taken as meaning 'several', 'a few' (or, say, '6'...) Very Happy

All I know is that a friend of mine was hit on the head by the cable - haven't heard yet whether he had stitches in the end or not...
ski holidays
DJWoo, check out accommodation in Neustift for Stubai.
snow report
offpisteskiing, hope your friend is OK - didn't sound as though there were any serious injuries. A few stitches don't really count. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy