Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quiver Killer/New boot swiss cheese issue

Poster: A snowHead
I'm mulling over getting some new touring boots and the ones I am looking at have a BSL fully 18mm shorter than my existing ones (305mm vs 287mm). I'd be using the primarily with Dynafit Speed bindings so just adjusting the heel and having my boot centre not precisely where I want it doesn't look like a possibility (not enough travel in the binding heel piece). Have some Dynafit Vertical STs somewhere but don't think they will have enough adjustment either

The skis are already drilled with quiverkillers for the Dynafits and Marker Dukes so lots of holes already.

Any ideas? (new skis not my preferred answer - I really like the ones I have now!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, Spyderjon's yer man, he'll give you best advice I'm sure
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ as a generally rule of thumb most ski techs would leave about 0.5cm-1cm between holes. i have gone less on an old pair of skis i mounted telemark - but it is not really recomended.

in this case you have basically drilled the ski twice. once for dynafit and once for marker. a ski can usually take 3 mounts (depending on hole posn...) before they become too weak. best bet is to print off a paper template from TGR and try to work out where your new holes would need to be. to save hassle I would just move the toe or heel piece of the dynafit binding - and accept being slightly off centre.

quiver killers do leave bigger holes in your ski... (so less flexability if you need to move the bindings) : but the mount itself is perhaps a tad stronger.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 19-10-13 17:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
(new skis not my preferred answer -

someone's hacked Arnos account
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29, thought about emailing him direct but welcome the views of others

Haggis_Trap, with all the existing holes it might be tricky. I'm wondering whether a some sort of a shim/plate might work in combination with adjusting the heel piece as far forward as reasonable

the other thing I am mulling over is going up a size on the touring boots (still a 7mm difference but might be more manageable). the black big toenail caused by the performance fit of my current boots is just about to grow out in time for the new season!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
^ ideally I reckon you want to try and move quiver killers for the dynafit heel forward.
should be obvious if the existing holes + travel adjustment in the heel will allow this.

... if not your 2nd best option is just to stick one of the bindings straight onto the ski using existing holes where possible.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 19-10-13 17:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, If you decide to go with plates you can get plastic cut to shape by the material suppliers, I have done this for several sets.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, 3rd season on my Wailer 112/105 combo Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap, that makes sense - may only need 2 new holes, which would be nice
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, I had\have a similar problem. So far I have gone for the smallest boot that my bindings will take, which is my measured boot size. The boot fitters reckon I should go a size smaller but the idea of sore toes and an 'investment' in more kit means I'm not convinced.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got holes drilled overlapping previous holes.

Just araldited (slow cure, not rapid) the old screw holes and then drilled and tapped the new holes for quiver killer inserts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting. Flaine skier, i guess the q.k.s will hold enough?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, do you need performance fit in touring boots? I didn't think such a thing existed?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno

Two possible solutions:

1. Utilise existing toe holes & add additional inserts for the new hole location - IIRC there's plenty to do this as your current Duke/Dyna mount share the two rearmost inserts

2. I can get these for you (but I'll have to check the compatibility with your current bindings): http://www.dynafit.com/product/bindings/front-back-adjustment-plate

BTW, myself & a couple of customers, along with some maggots are currently playing around with some mega swiss cheesed skis with so far no ill effects. The latest carbon hybrid/carbon pure constructions, combined with the strength of the inserts, are so sound that the old mounting rules don't apply so every multi mount has to be looked at on a case by case basis.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 19-10-13 18:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, would the plates work with the existing holes?
snow conditions
under a new name, you'll become a persona non-grata at Sole with chat like that wink
my current touring boots are the "right" length if you work off the usual guide (probably just over 1 finger width on the shell check) - this, along with the fact that they are the right shape for my feet, means that they are a good snug fit when skiing. however, if I have them undone and am walking or kicking steps, my toes do sometime bang against the end of the boot, which didn't happen when I has boots which were a size bigger. my personal view is that a bit of additional room at the end of my toes is NBD (for me) if my boots fit snugly around the instep/heel/ankle
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
spyderjon, would the plates work with the existing holes?

That's the theory but they're new for this season so I haven't handled them yet. I've not got any in but am happy to order some (at no obligation to you) to check 'em out. Personally I'd go with new heel holes though.
latest report
In the Zag shop in cham they had demo skis with plates and dynafit bindings which worked very well.
ski holidays
spyderjon, i will fish my skis out from the back of my storeroom and have a look at what makes sense

the background to this is the Ekosport have some great deals on Dynafit TLT6/Mercury/Vulcans (15% off + 10% discount code) so now looks like a good time to be upgrading...
snow conditions
Arno, I thought I was going to have a the same problem as you as the BSL's on their new boots are so short - my 26 Mercury's are 294mm whilst my 26 Cochise's are 310mm yet they both have near enough the same shell gap. Luckily I sold both my skis at the end of last season so I'm able to start again from scratch.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Arno, I thought I was going to have a the same problem as you as the BSL's on their new boots are so short - my 26 Mercury's are 294mm whilst my 26 Cochise's are 310mm yet they both have near enough the same shell gap. Luckily I sold both my skis at the end of last season so I'm able to start again from scratch.

Same position as you -28 shell Technica Cochise with 330 BSL thinking about "proper tourers" may have to stay with Technica Pro 120 Lite to preserve BSL....but the review suggest mod'ing the Lites so much you end with the same weight as what I ve got.... wlll sit it out for another season I think, especially as surgeon/physio still not clear on big tours...
latest report
You caught me needing to kill some time, so I measured it. Assuming the existing inserts are for small Dukes and Dynafits, both set up for a 305mm boot with midsoles at exactly the same spot on the ski...

Keep the toe where it is and remount the heel 12.78mm forward to reuse the rear Duke heel inserts for the new rear Dynafit rear screws. Your boot midsole will be 9mm forward from that of the old Dynafit mount and you'll dodge the other rear inserts by 12.78mm centre-to-centre. Your new boots in the existing Duke mount will be 9mm forward from the old position anyway, so this option would keep things consistent if you're only using the new boots.

Or...

Keep the heels where they are and remount the toes 10mm back. Your boot midsole will be 1mm back of that of the old Dynafit mount and you'll dodge the other toe inserts by 10mm centre-to-centre.

Speeds adjust 3.2mm each way from centre so they won't work regardless. Verticals are 13mm each way so you'll be fine with those. Plums are 15mm so simply switching to them with the current inserts won't work.

You're welcome Wink.
latest report
Lornholio, very good! Dukes are actually drilled for boots which are 317mm long just to complicate things Puzzled
snow report
I've just had to remount bindings on my skis and move them forward 20mm. I'm hoping I don't feel too much difference on the piste, but they will now be better set up for playing in the park, the skis are twin tips so it shouldn't be an issue. A little heavy for touring but it'll get me fit Toofy Grin
snow report
Arno wrote:
Lornholio, very good! Dukes are actually drilled for boots which are 317mm long just to complicate things Puzzled

Moving the Dynafit heels forward 11.8mm will let you reuse the rear Duke heel inserts and Vertical heel tracks can take up the extra 6.2mm slack, but your new boot's midsole would be 9mm forward of where the old boots' were. Moving the toes back 10.3mm as well would get you back to about the same midsole but 10.3mm centre-to-centre between inserts is questionable. Plus if you ski the Dukes with your new boots their midsole will now be 15mm forward of the 317mm boot they were drilled for, so there's no ideal solution.

So, just buy new skis!
snow conditions
Lornholio wrote:
So, just buy new skis!

or maybe just stick with my current boots! I feel EUR500 richer already Laughing
snow conditions
Arno, you could always spend some of that on brakes!! wink
ski holidays
Lornholio, And Tibal length, does this mean that might work?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lornholio, You should know better than most, your tibia is real long comapered to your foot length. wink
latest report
Planning to go from 302mm to 287mm but adjustment is only +/- 12.5 mm (2.5 mm short) - scheiße. Mad
ski holidays
finally decided to give the Vulcans a whirl. this morning Ekosport was offering 15% off plus an additional 10%, making them an almost reasonable price
Ekosport website won't let me set up an account or check out and now the 15% off has disappeared so I will be sticking with my existing boots Mad
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
finally decided to give the Vulcans a whirl. this morning Ekosport was offering 15% off plus an additional 10%, making them an almost reasonable price
Ekosport website won't let me set up an account or check out and now the 15% off has disappeared so I will be sticking with my existing boots Mad

Arno, I've PM'd you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy