Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was planning on sticking with rentals for this season but the more I think about it the more I want my own!

I'm 172cm (5' 8 ) 60kg (132 lb) have a couple weeks of real skiing plus quite a lot of hours at Castlford fridge.

I'll mostly be using them on piste with a little bit of side/off piste as I improve, lightweight skis and bindings would be a big plus.

I'll be seeing what skis I can demo from Castlford Ellis-Brigham on Sunday.

Thx in advance for any suggestions/advice.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Demoed a few skis yesterday.

Just been on skis with nice sharp edges was a revelation and has convinced me I need my own pair Very Happy
Really unsure what to go for though.

Salomon Enduro LX800
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/salomon/enduro-lx800-skis--z10-bindings-1314/700303
Radius: 14.6m (168cm)
Sidecut: 125/79/107 (168cm)

Fist pair I tried so took a while to get accustomed to edges that bite, felt quite good hard to say much about them as I don't have much to compare them with.

Nordica Fuel
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/nordica/fuel-1314-skis/700364
Radius: 15.5m (170cm)
Sidecut: 124/78/108 (170cm)

These where noticeably lighter on my feet maybe a little harder work to make clean slow speed turns but felt very nice with a bit more speed, maybe due to the full length side walls?

Salomon Q-90
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/salomon/q-90-1314-skis/700305
Radius: 17.4m (177cm)
Sidecut: 130/89/117 (177cm)

These felt a little clumsy, forgot to double check what length the demo skis where so not sure if it was the extra length and width or just the width that made them feel a bit awkward.

Any suggestions on other skis I should try would be greatly appreciated.
The Nordica's where probably my favourite I'm just not sure if they might turn out to be a bit of a handful with the extra stiffness from the full length sidewall, especially as I'm a bit of a lightweight.

Thx for any advise.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Daishan,
Quote:

Salomon Enduro LX800
Radius: 14.6m (168cm)
Sidecut: 125/79/107 (168cm)
Nordica Fuel
Radius: 15.5m (170cm)
Sidecut: 124/78/108 (170cm)

From you info above you are probably in the right ball park with the first two skis you tried or similar, I would try Demo the Rossi, Atomic, Elan, etc equivelants of the above skis and see how they feel on your feet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Decathlon have some decent atomic nomads in for £350 including the bindings

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/blackeye-skis-id_8286130.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you tried any with a narrower waste? Head Magnum and Salomon 24 Hrs are good carvy piste skis. Scott Aztec are a good all rounder too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'll be trying as many skis as I can at the ski test on the 16th.
I've not tried anything but those 3 yet, I'll try some narrower skis for comparison, though I'd like some skis that have enough float to allow me to try some easy off piste.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy