Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles advise

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After always wearing sunglasses while skiing I have decided its time to look for a pair of decent quality goggles to recommend to the other half for a Christmas present! As goggles are new to me I could do with some advice with regards to a decent brand and make for a pair costing around £60 to £80 Confused

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-10-13 22:02; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just try some on and find what feels best, they all fit differently and what suits someone else may feel awful on your face. If you wear a helmet take it with you go to avoid a gap between the goggles and helmet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good advice, thanks, it was on the cards but could do with knowing which are the better brands/models to look for as don't want to waste the cash on a duff pair that lets me down on the snow
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As lynseyf says make sure you try them as its a very personal thing what works best for you. But for brands you won't go wrong with Smith, Scott, Bolle, Oakley, Salomon to name a few. Also think what colour lenses you want, something like yellow for flat light, darker for bluebird days. My personal choice tends to be Smiths, currently a pair of IOs I found in TK Maxx for less than a replacement lens for my Phenoms would have cost as I've got a Smith helmet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like most pieces of equipment these things are never as simple as you think they should be - but I think for that price you should get a decent pair - here is a site which looks OK after a quick read but there are many sites offering advice
http://www.allaboutvision.com/buysmart/goggles.htm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just be sure you buy goggles with the ability to buy replacement lenses as you will find that they eventually get scratched. I bought some Salomon ones last year and then discovered that I could not buy lenses separately. I don't know if they have changed for this season, but am currently thinking I wasted my money... Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks again for all the advice, I am now starting to have a far better understanding with regards to the main points I need to consider when buying a pair. My biggest issue at the moment seams to be down to, 1. The lens colour, as I only want to buy one pair of decent quality goggles at this point, which colour lens would you think would be a good one to start with, I need a pair that has a lens colour that can replace a decent pair of Sinner sunglasses that I tended to use in all conditions, obviously they where better in some than others, so the pair needs to have a lens colour that will span across as many conditions as possible and be the most universal to me, would this be yellow or gold? 2. I have started looking at the two different lens shape types, is it worth me paying the extra for the benefits of a set with a spherical lens or just go for a pair with a standard flat construction? Will I see (pardon the pun!) any real benefit for the extra cost? rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andymac10, solve all your problems in one go by buying Bolle Modulators (photochromic). Excellent goggles. http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/products/search#58,116,139;
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like good advice as they should cover all the conditions I need them for and the reviews look good, would you know if there is much to benefit from in getting the 'Gravity' make as opposed to the 'Nova' version? I see they only make the citrus gun lens which I like the colour of in the Nova version and not the gravity http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/products/search#58,116,139; http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/products/search#58,116,149,49;
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andymac10, looks like the gravity has a spherical lens with a wider field of view but I'd rather have the citrus lens in the Nova (which is the goggle I've used for the last few years) as it's better contrast in very low light and darker in very bright light. They fit perfectly with my Salomon helmet and I've never noticed any issue with lateral vision with them.

I've also got Bolle vermillion sunglasses which are high contrast and excellent in medium/high light but rubbish in flat light - I much prefer citrus for low light conditions.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again, I think I will take the plunge with a pair Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andymac10, good choice! Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy