Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

tignes 1st March 2014?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am arriving into Geneva at 9am on Saturday 1st March and need to pick a resort - thinking of heading to tignes but open to suggestions - we are leaving again on the Thursday. Its been 5 or 6 years since I last drove that journey but was wondering how long is it likely to take ? From memory it was around 3 hours.

Would like to try get a few hours skiing in the afternoon but is it likely to be around 1.30 before I could realistically hit the slopes?

Is there any potential to ski somewhere for a half day on the way?

Not committed to Tignes so open to any suggestions which could get us another half days skiing.

Might end up back in chamonix but been there the last couple of times so fancy somewhere different!

Glenn
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
10196986, This ? http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/view/tignes-chalet-hotel-les-melezes

However, these short breaks are Sun to Weds or Thus. It is a 3hr transfer to Tignes. Somewhere like Flaine is just 90mins transfer so half day skiing is possible. How about UCPA ? They do 4 day trips - check out Action Outdoors.

Or Chalet Sherpa in Morzine. Pretty flexible.
http://jollygood.com/Morzine/W_PricesC.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

You can be at the slopes within 65 minutes of touching down at Geneva, if you get a flyer with car hire. Le Crozet is a 20 minute drive from the airport and you can see the line of the gondola from the tarmac when you land.

Its a decent (but small) ski area for a day, links with Lelex and has good views of Geneva and the lake. Lift passes were only €25 per day 3 seasons ago.

http://www.monts-jura.com/en/prm/index.php?site=2

Alterntatively, you could try Combloux near Megeve, about an 80 minute drive from the airport. It's an excellent ski area and was very quiet when we were there on 2 weekends. From there you can drive to Ugine/Albertville and on to Tignes in about 2 hours.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

was very quiet when we were there on 2 weekends

it might not be that quiet on 1 March as that is very busy French school holiday time. Transfer times could well be a fair bit longer than usual. You might also find it quite difficult (and expensive) to get accommodation for less than a week at that time. You could probably take an apartment for the week, and just leave early.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Gets and Morzine are within an hour or so drive from Geneva airport. Plus a large number of smaller resorts which might be a better idea being as it is French school holiday time, when the larger resorts get really chocka. Tignes is a fantastic resort but it seems a bit of a hike for a 5 day trip. You could be skiing by lunchtime if you headed somewhere closer. I did a long weekend trip to Les Gets through GVA a few years back and got a half day skiing both on the day of arrival and the day of departure; you'll definitely struggle to do that with resorts in the Tarantaise, especially Espace Killy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd have a look at Verbier as well, less French holidays more weekend / short term accom. 2 hours in a hire car. And associated areas - Crans, Nendaz etc. otherwise GM or PdS but 5 day accom likely to be your limiting factor.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Les Gets and Morzine are within an hour or so drive from Geneva airport......I'd have a look at Verbier as well

But none are en-route to Tignes from Geneva... Confused

Quote:
Tignes is a fantastic resort but it seems a bit of a hike for a 5 day trip
It's all relative. In normal traffic conditions, we always do GVA to Tignes Val Claret in a max of two and three quarter hours - sometimes two and a half. Tignes Les Brevieres is fifteen mins less and Tignes les Boisse 10 mins less. However, a Saturday transfer in French hols will be an entirely different story and could be double that time....

If you are set on Tignes, I'd go with Bergmeister's suggestion and ski near GVA airport at Crozet/Lelex. Or you could go to La Sambuy, which is a small area near Annecy - so en-route to Tignes. Either way, the traffic would then have died down by the time you set off for Tignes.
http://www.lasambuy.com/fr/pages/activites-hiver/le-domaine-skiable-66.html?PHPSESSID=b0d976da2b57d3fcaaf861403789810e#
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:
If you are set on Tignes, I'd go with Bergmeister's suggestion and ski near GVA airport at Crozet/Lelex. Or you could go to La Sambuy, which is a small area near Annecy - so en-route to Tignes. Either way, the traffic would then have died down by the time you set off for Tignes.
http://www.lasambuy.com/fr/pages/activites-hiver/le-domaine-skiable-66.html?PHPSESSID=b0d976da2b57d3fcaaf861403789810e#

The point of recommending other resorts is that the OP said that they're not set on Tignes.

"Not committed to Tignes so open to any suggestions which could get us another half days skiing."

Which is why I made the comment about it being a long hike (especially in holiday time) for a 5 day trip, and that other (closer) resorts would be more likely to offer a half day of skiing both on the day of arrival and day of departure. Tignes in holiday time is much less likely to do that than heading to PdS or other resorts closer to GVA.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers for all the help- much appreciated!

Will probably pick somewhere close to ski sat morning if it works out ok and then pick a base for the rest of the trip

Is tignes likely to be very busy at this time? Have skied before over new year and march (although not half term) and didn't find any problems.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy