Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recent experiences of Ellmau Ski Schools please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

We're going to Ellmau next february and have been trying to get a feel for the various ski schools. Reviews seem a bit mixed and are quite varied in how old they are. Also Confusing is that the schools seem similar in name and it's sometimes hard to work out which one a poster is referring to.

I was hoping that people might have recent experience of the schools in Ellmau. We are looking for group classes for the children (8,10 and 13). The 13 is pretty competent and is hoping for some sort of class that will take him all over the Skiwelt. The younger two just need a decent class that brings them on, not just babysitting.

My husband is happy in a class - I'd prefer a 1;1 having been put off groups by a very domineering old Austrian Instructor in Soll last year!! I'm a slightly nervous skier so am happier going at my own pace.

Any Advice or recommendations would be great fully received. We're staying at the Hotel Kaiserhof if this makes any difference.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, I work in the Scheffau ski school, and my knowledge of the Ellmau ski schools is that the one called 'first Ellmauer skischule' has the better quality in instructors. but beware that they also have some pretty poor quality, newly qualified skiers teaching 1;1 this is not good for you because in many cases they are just blagging it! The other problem is the old school style instructor that will just talk to you for your entire lesson and you would maybe ski 1-2 runs per hour! I see this everyday, the inexperienced blagger and the old school talking their class/client to sleep! My advise would be to either come to Scheffau for your lesson, we have much nicer progression slopes than Ellmau's steep reds. But if that isnt possible just ask in the office for someone that is more experienced and will not talk to you to within an inch of your life! You need a more experienced instructor in your case as everything needs to be set at nice steady progressions with simple instructions to help you build your confidence and technique in small noticeable steps, this will make you feel good because you feel yourself getting better and you will start to understand more the technique needed along with feeling it, and taking that into your own skiing outside of a lesson and allowing your confidence to grow more and more. Hope this helps
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We used 1st ski school Ellmau last new year, boys beginner snowboard were good apart from my eldest had tried a taster session on previous trip and progressed much quicker than the rest of the group, once we asked of he could be moved up, they did and all was good. My friend had private beginner lessons which were excellent and I had 2 private lessons to help me on a particularly steep red I struggled with, again excellent, I would use them again and would recommend. As with any ski school if you feel unhappy about anything, progression, class sizes etc just have a chat with them as I have always found all schools very understanding and accomodating, after all it's a lot of money and just a week you need to ensure you are getting what you have paid for.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replys. PistePanther - I had looked at the Scheffau website and had been impressed by the professionalism of the site and the clear way that everything was explained. I contacted them earlier this month to ask if they ever did classes or private lessons in the Ellmau area - they explained that they didn't. I understand it is a small distance away but it seems quite difficult logistically to get ourselves over to Scheffau and back each day.

The Hotel (I was wrong - we are staying in the Kaiserblick, not Kaiserhof!) had recommended Top Ski School as being the closest.

I'll have another look at 1St Ski school - I am slightly offput by there being so little on the website. We are most concerned about our eldest. He is keen to find others of a similar age (13/14) to do carving/off piste/ moguls etc with. Will all schools provide this?

PistePanther, Don't suppose you can recommend any individual insructors within any of the schools by name? Any that particularly stand out? THanks Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hi, your welcome, I know of one instructor, he goes by the name of Gerhard Kaufmann, He is a fantastic instructor and holds the highest qualification available, (He is also teaches in the ski instructor courses as well!) The last time I saw him he was at first ski school. I would not go with a ski school because its the closest, as in the end they are all starting from pretty much the same point on top of the mountain. But the office for first ski school is a bit further than top, however, that being said, the office for first is in the centre of town, so its not like you wont be their at some point.

With regards to you 14yr old you will struggle to find a ski group of similar age and ability. The ability will be fine, but the average age that mainly attend the kids groups at this level is between 8yrs and 12yrs the next possibilty is the adults groups, but can be quite boring for your eldest as this consists unfortunately in many cases of much more standing around and explanation
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would you have any suggestions as to what to do with the 14 year old? He's pretty capable and would be bored rigid in an adults class, as you said.
He could come with me and a private instructor but he's more capable than me. My youngest two kids will end up together so are happy enough, because he'll be in his own I'm keen that he's happy with what he's doing ski wise!!

Thanks for all the advise, I'll contact first ski school about the guy you mentioned.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your welcome again,

Its difficult for the 14 year as he is in the cut off point for both groups. Can he carve, and ski most runs comfortably? Maybe he could ski with someone in your group that are at a similar level? It is better if you take your lesson yourself as you wont get anything out of it if your conscious that your son is bored stiff (Ive seen this happen) the only suggestions that I can offer is that you risk the kids group in ski school, or don't put him in ski school at all, depending on his current level.

I have just seen that you are traveling in February, I presume this will be the school holidays? if so then you should find that it is extremely busy and there will be a lot of kids in ski school and the chances of getting him in a older group are quite high this time of year!

I have just started to write a blog, its a guide that gives holiday makers an insight to the ski area, with useful tips on getting the most out of your holiday and getting the best out of your budget. Maybe you would find it useful, its only a couple weeks old but there's already quite a lot of info. i started it because I notice year after year that people are not getting the best out of there holiday and end up settling for satisfactory, but in many cases pay thousands more than necessary for their holiday!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you!! You've been most informative. I looks at your blog briefly earlier - it does look really useful.We are going during the school holidays so hopefully he'll get a good enough/ age appropriate group. Most of his skiing has been on dry slope - he skis practically weekly at Hillend in midlothian and has the rudiments of carving but hasn't had much chance to apply this on snow. Before we come to Austria in February we hope to have had a few days up at Cairngorm or Gleshee. He managed most of the runs at Cairngorm easily earlier this year but I realise this is not comparable.

Unfortunately he's better than all of the adults going, or at least more adventurous! He'll probably just have to make do with ski school - It just seems too big an expense to get a private instructor just for him. Maybe next year we'll have to get him to bring a friend along!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Your welcome, I'm happy that I could help!!

your son should be fine, and when he hits snow, he'll find that he's suddenly much better! Carving on dry slope... very difficult!

I agree with the expense of an instructor! The going rate is around 180 euros per day! and your son would not benefit any more than he would in a decent ski group!

Have a great stay in Ellmau!

Ps, thank for looking at the blog! Hopefully you may continue to find it useful and informative in the build up to your holiday!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quick update- we had a great time in Ellmau - Ended up using 1st Ellmau Ski School. THey were fantastic. We had private lessons with a Danish Instructor who had perfect English, Christian. He could not have been more helpful, accommodating changes of time and differing abilities with no issues at all. The children were in group lessons - the older one in the Black group with an Austrian Instructor Marcus - very well chosen for this group- really pushed them, made it fun. The younger two were with a German man Tom, who was universally loved by them all. After the first day the instructors took them out for full days exploring the Skiwelt, they went way further than we did. Everytime we told them what we'd done and where we'd been they'd already been there, done that! Would highly recommend this school.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy