Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Funniest Falls you have witnessed

Poster: A snowHead
Just been talking with some friends and laughing about some of our best
So a couple for starters
I was skiing donn a path in the woods going down to one of the Gornergrat stations in Zermatt some years ago. One of those where there are ski ruts I noted a sharp left hand bend coming up and going far too fast. At the very last moment I stuck out my right arm and caught a small tree. Went around the tree in the air and got back on the path having got round the bend The 2 skiers following creased and both failed to negotiate the turn and ended up in the stream below
Another was a girl skiing in front of me on a poor vis day skiing some lovely turns literally skied straight into a wall of snow without seeing it
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark1863, one of my kids had a spectacular @rse over tit fall right under a lift. He had a round of applause from the chairlift for his efforts. Skis were way above him on a steep slope and he had to climb back up to get them. None of us could help him because we couldn't stand up for laughing. Hubby wraps himself and his ski poles around trees with alarming regularity.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whatever you don't don't wipeout under a lift. Having seen a spectacular wipeout, there was a spontaneous round of applause from those on the chairlift with cheers of "Norway Nil Poin" echoing around
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mark1863 wrote:
Another was a girl skiing in front of me on a poor vis day skiing some lovely turns literally skied straight into a wall of snow without seeing it

Could have been more embarassing, last year I deliberatley skied into what I though was a bank of powder only to find that it was rock solid and was uncermononiously ejected by my bindings.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I fell on Altiport in Meribel. Twice. In the space of 100 yards.

I don't know if thats funny or just embarrasing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This was one of the funniest I got on film, the bank my lad fell over was very steep actually, we found out later in the day that one of the guys from Le Praz had done something similar however he tumbled down the slope and hit a tree ended up in hospital with a spine fracture not good at all.

http://youtube.com/v/YDFRo-B2990
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once I was chatting to someone on my left and failed to notice the MANY pairs of skis left outside a restaurant on the snow and skied straight through them resulting in a very embarrassing fall right in front of the terrace on a nice sunny day... I think everyone else found it very funny... Especially my efforts of trying to rearrange the skis afterwards... Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was in whiteout conditions, and a strong wind was blowing, so was really concentrating on the piste ahead, when i thought I better back the speed off a bit, went to turn to check said speed, and fell over, I wasn't actually moving, but the fog/snow was whipping past, most embarrassing Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One morning while skiing the Kitzsteinhorn glacier people were skiing off the side of the piste into what looked like 20cm of powder. I decided to do the same but skied offpiste a bit further down the slope where the sun hadn't yet had chance to shine. I skied into firn snow that hadn't yet thawed out and so double ejected from my bindings. Embarassed

While learning to ski I had real trouble getting my edges to grip so slide sideways without much control and managed to domino two groups of learner skiers at the same time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
While in ski school the instructor skied down a steep blue to watch our turns, just before the bottom of the slope he veered off, and gracefully rejoined the piste. I was the last down, so thought I'd 'ski like me' as the instructor had ordered. Earlier in the day he had pointed out the importance of leaning forward on steeper slopes, so with my weight well forward I embarked down the slope turning beautifully, came to the particular piste marker the instructor had left the piste by, and in front of the group, disappeared tips first into about 3 feet of soft snow, oh how they laughed, rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The funniest fall i have been a witness to was sadly one of my own. It was on day one of snowboard instruction (having never skiied either). My brother and I quit the class after 20 minutes because we both had it sussed and wanted to get upon the mountain. After a million falls each on the button tow we got up the hill and found a mini snow park with some kickers. After a bit of debate at the top we decided it would be cool if I did a sweet jump, so I pointed my wobbly board down the hill towards a small kicker. I managed to hit the kicker which I was quite pleased with as it reinforced my view that my board control was indeed remarkable. I was hoping for a few feet of air, and maybe a tail grab mid flight. What actually happend is that I did an unexpected half somersault landing on my face about 3 yards past the kicker. Snow conditions were unforgiving and this caused me a not inconsiderable amount of pain. My brother couldn't move for laughing and still brings it up regularly some 15 years later.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last year in Avoriaz I thought I'd get brave and in the Stash I decided to try and jump over a tree branch and in between the trunk and the vertical part of said branch. All that right next to a lift. And full of confidence (arrogance?) I asked my mate to film..
Unfortunately, I clipped the branch with the back of my board as I went over so out I came in a puff of snow:

And this is what the initial impact looked like:

The cheers from everyone on the lift are very clearly heard on the video.. Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was heading down a cat track/blue in Zauchensee the easter just gone - it was late afternoon and things were getting a little spring-like. The blue crossed with either a black or red where a large number of better skiers decided to stop and survey (aka block) the slope before continuing on. I was left with little room to manoeuvre, but eventually found a gap which involved gaining a little more speed than I wanted.

So I'm now flying onto the cat track and the conditions combined with my own lack of ability meant I wasn't able to control my speed properly, leaving me with two options: fly into the trees below or take my chances with the bank above. The trees seemed an obvious mistake so I chose the bank. My skis decided to keep going up the bank, I followed briefly before it all became a bit too much and half-corkscrewed onto my back with a thud onto the snow.

End result: I'm on my back, head downhill on a cat track and with the back end of my skis buried in the snow. I can't reach my bindings because of the slope, so was stuck sort of hanging from my skis looking like a complete muppet until my ski partner caught up and was able to release me ;(
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kruisler, nice!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was skiing in the 3V a few years ago with another chap and we were heading down the Gros Tonge towards Les Menuires. It's a long track but quite fast with a drop off to the righ. I was ahead of my mate and we were both skiing quite close to the right hand edge to get past slower skiers. Next thing I saw out of the corner of my eye was an ESF ski instructor going outside of my mate just as his turn was towards the edge, the outcome was the instructor misjudged it and goes over the edge, my mate falls over ina pile of skis and whilst the instructor was effing at my mate, the other instructor with him was killing himself laughing as it was clearly the first instructors fault Very Happy
snow conditions
One of my more embarassing fall wasn't particularly special. It's what happened BEFORE the fall that made it funny/embarassing:

I was with a small group of my mates on a run that's half smooth and half mogul (pretty typical of North American piste). Half of my group went down the smooth half and was waiting at the bottom watching the rest of us coming down the mogul. I was the first on the "mogul-basher" group, zipping my way down those bumps like I knew what I was doing... (well, I do know "a little" about skiing bumps)

As I cleared the last bump and sail smoothly towards the group waiting next to the lift, and the group were shouting some congradulating and admiring comments...

I came to a stop in front of the group and...

in slow motion, I tipped over! Embarassed

(as the rest of the mogul bashers came in, they couldn't understand why the whole waiting group were bending over laughing non-stop)
snow conditions
The one my wife remembers best of me was in boots rather than on skis. I was at the top of Triftji in Zermatt needing a pee and walked into a little mountain restaurant to see if they had a loo. The floor was a little wet and I skidded and went straight into the desert trolley and was covered in the deserts.
I asked the chap behind the bar where the loo was and he pointed outside speechlessly. When I emerged the party I was with ended themselves laughing at the sight of me covered head to toe in jelly and cream.
ski holidays
This is the type of thread that made me join snowHeads

my first contribution

Thornyhill wrote:
I don't fall much, but when I do it is usually worth the effort. Ideally there will be a ski lift stopped overhead and at least three people with video cameras. Managed a perfect one last year at the end of ski school slalom race. Lift had stopped over the run and most of the mountain video guys were covering the entire run. Unexpectedly clipped a gate with my pole about halfway down. This pulled the pole out of my grip, but was still attached by the strap. Next gate was OK as the pole was on the outside, but as I tipped in for the next gate the pole went between my legs and under the outside ski. After that I was a complete passenger. Flailed wildly towards the next gate, arrived at it with the pole and my left elbow between my knees, one ski on either side of the gate, face perfectly lined up for a thump. I decided the face first into the gate might hurt so I tried to get my body to go in a different direction to my skis. This worked up to the point that my face missed the gate, by my ski didn't. Lost that ski and did a 180, still upright. I tried skiing switch on one ski, but I didn't really like it, so I waited for it to dig in and tried a backflip instead. Got a round of applause from the punters on the lift as I gathered up the trail of ski gear, and then when we got to the pub that night found that I had won crash of the week after the video guys had put it on the big screen in a slow mo, frame by frame loop.

(OK - to be totally honest, without the video, I wouldn't have known what was happening after the pole stuck under my ski - I remember thinking Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!! and seeing various repeating views of mountains, valleys, sky and snow)

I can't wait to try it again Very Happy

Don't do stuff like that any more - far too sensible now Toofy Grin
snow report
abc wrote:

I came to a stop in front of the group and...

in slow motion, I tipped over! Embarassed

ROFL - Why does that only happen when you have been showing off. Puzzled
snow conditions
I don't recommend stacking it in front of a long lift queue either. I'd just about got to the bottom of the home run to the Galzigbahn in St Anton, zoned out a little bit thinking about what prep I had to do for the guests meals that evening so not paying a massive amount of attention. Turned on to toe edge carrying a bit of speed, failed to see the rut in the snow. My board and legs were flung up in to the air as my body rotated forward. The result was me effectively belly flopping on to the snow from waist height and getting a massive face full of snow. I think I was laughing almost as much as those in the lift queue.
snow conditions
In a nameless resort with a nameless tea club leader I managed a full 360 when rejoining the piste from offpiste - skis flew everywhere - it appeared the piste was "built up" somewhat higher than the offpiste and my ski tips just caught under the piste on rejoining - a spectacular somersault....but people never learn and the same was repeated by.....the following leader but at last not at the speed I managed it at.
snow report
Pointless entertaining "aieeeeeee" fall in deep powder from Mrs P:

http://youtube.com/v/aewdy85kZNg
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/EXWEa0DL3D4
snow conditions
rob@rar,

That's a great bit of offpiste skiing. snowHead
ski holidays
rob@rar, that made my morning!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Glad he was ok in the end!
latest report
Kruisler Video footage please !
snow report
I admit to doing something broadly similar in St Anton some years ago. Ended up legs akimbo on grass.
Just on the odd occasion you do have a great ski under a stationary lift. Followed 2 more accomplished friends off piste down the length of a chair lift. We got clapping and Bravos. Mind you that was only once and does not make up for the dozens of times I have come a cropper and been on the end of laughter.
snow conditions
rob@rar, seriously funny! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, LOL serious amount of lunch time beer or hot wine
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
rob@rar, LOL serious amount of lunch time beer or hot wine
Nah, just a little drinkie poos!
snow report
Not a fall but a great feat of skill happened to a mate of mine on our first snowboard holiday in Alp D'Huez many years ago.

It was nearing the end of our week and being a fast learner he was getting a bit cocky dismounting the lifts, which can be a week long lesson in itself on a snowboard.

He'd obviously noticed some naughty boarders strapping both feet onto their boards near the top lift station, and thought to himself, that looks like a great way to keep control and get away quicker at the top so he duly copied and strapped in his back foot.

The rest of skated off, as we do, but not poor Dave.

We heard the lift alarm go off and turned round when it was safe to do so to see Dave hanging upside down actually attached to the lift hanging over one of the safety net things.
Once the 0.0001 seconds of concern passed we started hilariously laughing , which was made even better when in took 3 lifties to unhook him and get him down.

He says to this day the smell of gauloises and the haw he haw he haw of the laughter haunt him to this day!!

Joe
ski holidays
Possibly the funniest fall that somebody else had witnessed, at the time: my third day on the mountain, I reckoned I'd got the hang of turning so decided to show off by swishing my board close by a stationary ski school group. Naturally, I caught an edge and did a full somersault right in front of them, landing in a crumpled heap. What made it a classic was the speed with which one guy shouted out, "was that your first 360?"

I remain patiently waiting for the fine day when I get the chance to use that myself....
snow report
rob@rar, 1st video I thought of when I seen the thread title
ski holidays
Prior to the first ski holiday we book onto a "learn to ski in a day" (yeah right!) course at Tamworth, arrive in good time to collect boots and skis and meet for the initial briefing over a coffee in Costa. All is going swimmingly - learn to put on and tighten boots so now it's time to make our way to the slope, skis in one hand, poles in the other I fail to learn that the polished wood floor is kinda slippy in ski boots and go down in a massive heap of hire kit without even a sniff of the white stuff.

Cheers

Rob.
latest report
Falling isn't a problem if you can do the worm turn. wink

http://youtube.com/v/eRM561I_mlM
latest report
T Bar, LOL!!!
My husband says the best he's ever seen was of me taking off on a brow and face planting in front of a café. I was wearing a rabbit ear helmet cover at the time and was mortified to hear people singing 'un lapin, un lapin..' from their tables. He was howling with laughter before I landed.
snow report
On the terrace of the Maison de Jean in Pila. Came out carrying a tray full of lunch. Lost my footing on the snowy/icy decking and did a 'shaggy and scooby' on the spot...and eventually got my balance and composure back. Just as I thought "phew", my feet went again - and the tray went straight up in the air. 2 plates of pasta went into orbit - and 2 large espressos landed on a sleeping dog.
ski holidays
chrisdavis, HAHAHAHAHA!
ski holidays
not particularly painful, but embarrassing:

Whistler mountain a couple of years ago with OH and friends of ours. She is an excellent skier, and her husband a novice just getting past snowplough. We'd just completed a very nice run down half way, and he was feeling all impressed with himself. Having had snow 'flicked' at him by his wife most of the week with her skis (Im sure skiers know what im talking about Puzzled ) he attempted the same, very unsuccessfully. After being ridiculed by me, he decided a more vigorous approach was required and started flailing and shouting loudly....of course the inevitable happened and he ended up falling over quite spectacularly for someone stationary.

Wouldnt have been quiet so bad had he not been right by the queue for the lift utilised by the park rats - the busiest lift in W/BC Laughing

Photo evidence!:

note the sympathetic assistance from his wife....
snow conditions
Oh I've had so many. I guess the top one still remains the time when, surrounded my gnarly offpiste group, I fell two times (or was it three? I refuse to remember) getting on a draglift in the Espace Killy.

Recent one: last season's EOSB, skiing with Elston and Fleur in low-visibility, I decided to do some big turns offpiste. I was doing fine until suddenly I felt a big bump. I absorbed this well, feeling quite smug about my skills, and landed harshly on what felt like a piste. The following things went through my head rapidly:

1. Wait, I thought that piste was at least 200 yards further on!

2. Oh well, better brake.

3. OUCH!

Turned out that I had landed on a solitary cat track carved by a pistenbully on the way to nowhere...by the time I wanted to brake, I had already hit the wall of compacted snow on the other side and catapulted myself over it, tumbling down another 10-15 yards and losing both skis in the process. Fleur was nice enough to help me look for them ... in the end nothing was hurt / lost but my pride.

And as for witnessing good falls, there's always Elston's fall from the 2012 EOSB (previously posted but worth a re-run):

Preparing to jump:

Good form in the air:

Nice landing, too:

Err, maybe not so nice after all

He's in there somewhere:

Wait, he's back on his feet!

Actually not:

Yep, definitely not:

Still rolling rolling rolling...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy