Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to Improve My Skiing Further

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, I'm 17 and I'm not a cocky person at all (quite the opposite actually) but skiing is the only thing I can brag about. I've skied since I was three and I have rarely found someone better than me when it comes to technique, balance, skills, and all around skiing unless they're professionals. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on how to push my skills further? I've kind of hit a wall, I'm not sure how to improve more. Should I just keep skiing as much as I can and skiing different types of pistes?

Also, what is the possibility of me becoming a professional skier, either freestyle or racing?

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got Video?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not currently, sorry.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Viljar, I don't know if this would work, but in your place (assuming I had no other way, through personal connections, of getting in touch with and seeking the advice of a top level coach) I would contact the Norwegian Ski Federation to see if you could book a session with one of the national coaches through them. The coach would then - for a fee? - see you ski, assess and advise you. In any event, I should have thought that the best person to advise you would surely be a top level coach, it's just a question of finding one. But I'm no expert, least of all in the Norwegian skiing scene, I'm afraid.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okay, thank you, I'll see what I can do about getting a coach.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Compete (in whatever discipline you're best at), then you will rapidly see how you measure up and whether being a pro is a possibility.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Viljar, find a local ski club, join in some competitive racing/freestyle or look into what qualifications you can get
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best to get a second opinion .......
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forum.php
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Viljar - as kitenski suggests, find a ski club in Norway. There are plenty of them as it is the second most popular organised sport in Norway (after football). Take part in the local club sessions and races and you'll quickly find out where you stand.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Viljar, you are 17... Are you riding park, groomers, or bc?

Also, where are you located? If you are in Oslo, let me know as I know alot of the instructors, and some pros who live in/around Oslo...

lykke til!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Viljar, when you say that the people who have been better than you have been professionals, do you just mean instructors? Or professional racers or sponsored riders?

I'd find the most senior and experienced instructor you can, and ask them to be brutal and realistic about your chances of making it as a racer or similar. Then ask hem if they can help with finding a group of peers who will be better than you who you can learn from.

At 17, if you have no experience of racing, I would have thought you've got a huge amount of work to do to catch up with the kids who have been racing since they were 10. But if you are a naturally gifted skiier who wants to do a load of work to try and make it, and you have the means to be able to commit to that, then anything is possible.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I guess it depends on whether you particularly want to just improve further (as your OP suggests), or have you considered alternative directions? Is improving your skiing the only way forwards and do you think you want to continue improving for the goal of doing so (in which case the others have come up with suggestions), or do you think you want to keep improving to alleviate boredom? If you are getting bored, would some other ideas help? Maybe you have good interpersonal skills too - have you thought about instructor training - you might end up making someone a good coach. Or maybe a slightly different discipline would give you something to focus on - telemark, ski touring, or dare I suggest even snow-boarding!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Viljar wrote:
........I've skied since I was three and I have rarely found someone better than me when it comes to technique, balance, skills, and all around skiing unless they're professionals........Should I just keep skiing as much as I can and skiing different types of pistes?

If you're that good, shouldn't you be shredding the off piste or doing rad / sick stuff in the park??

Mistress Panda wrote:
Viljar, At 17, if you have no experience of racing, I would have thought you've got a huge amount of work to do to catch up with the kids who have been racing since they were 10.

This ^^
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lilledonmarco: I'm riding everything, I've done park, groomers, bc, heli skiing, all of it. Unfortunately I'm moving around a bit, I'm living in the UK now, I'll let you know if I'm in Oslo though. Tusen takk!

Mistress Panda: I mean in general, so yes professional and sponsored riders as well as some instructors. Yeah that's what I was thinking, I'm a bit behind. Which is why I'm looking into freestyle as it doesn't require as early a start as racing does and I already have some experience with it.

Megamum: I'm not aiming to improve solely out of boredom, I would love to be paid to ski which is why I'm trying to figure out how realistic it really is for me. And don't worry haha, I snowboard as well, for about 4 years now.

Red Leon: I am doing all that, what I meant was if I should continue with all varieties rather than focusing on one objective or style. And yes I realize that about racing, which is why I asked about freestyle as well.

Thank you all for responding as well, I really do appreciate all the help!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Joining the race club won't hurt even that becoming a successful racer can be a very difficult task with many kids starting racing at 7. But in any case skiing gates with speed will expand and improve your skills. Lot of professional riders who are paid to ski for movies etc. would have some sort of racing background. As for freestyle - how are your backflips? Maybe it's time to start learning those... Without skis first, on a diving board or on a trampoline. There must be sports clubs with this sort of facilities offering coaching. Lot of freestyle is trained and practiced off the snow.
snow conditions
As you are probably getting a bit old to now specialize enough to become a competitive skier what about instructing. This way you will go through a coaching and training process to improve your skills and the odds of being employed are a far higher than those of getting sponsored etc.
snow report
Wow, depressing thread, are people really telling this kid that they are too old at 17!?

Viljar, You won't know unless you try and no one has seen you ski so no one is in a position to tell you what you are or are not able to achieve.
snow conditions
I can't advise too much here as I didn't put ski's on till I was in my 20's - but what I would say is that you won't improve much being UK based - I assume you have been subsidised by your family so far and you may still be living with them

At 17 you are still young but you are old enough to make your own way in life - if your family are wealthy ask them to sponsor you for a year - if not you will need to work to support the lifestyle

Use the internet to get up to speed with the discipline you most want to concentrate in and try getting work in a resort which supports that discipline

Your only 17 - take a year out doing this - if it doesnt work - go back to school and study - at least you will know that you gave it your best shot

I honestly wish you the best of luck

Johnor
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy