Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda early January

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like our first ski trip this year may change from February to early January.

Really keen to do Sella Ronda and I know they have great snow making there but is it a bit risky booking now to go early Jan? Are we safer going elsewhere and saving first ever Dolomites trip for a little later in the season? Puzzled

Also planning to go somewhere first week in April and leave it until nearer the time to see where has good snow- so it's an option then or Feb/March another year Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How many in your group? If it's just two I'd be tempted to wait a bit longer as you should be able to find accommodation low season. Unless you mean New Year or Russian New Year...

We went mid January this year and there was a ton of snow and it snowed all week. But one anecdote is not evidence, and I suspect conditions vary year to year.

What about booking flights to Innsbruck now and your accommodation when you have seen what the weather's doing? Then if it doesn't look good, you can go to Austria instead Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Scarlet

There's three of us (were 4 until the other days hence change of plan!). That's why looking to get a package booked now as we're an odd number flying from Scotland! also lazy and don't want to do diy!

Yes I think waiting until we can do late Feb or early march another time would be better.

On a course next year which is several weekends throughout ski season Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went early jan one year (first week after new year) and had great snow. However guys we were sharing a chalet with said that the year before (same time of year) it was all aritifcial snow though there were lot of runs open. They said it was really surreal going up the lift and seeing the lines of snow snaking round the mountain with nothing in between.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
How many in your group? If it's just two I'd be tempted to wait a bit longer as you should be able to find accommodation low season. Unless you mean New Year or Russian New Year...

We went mid January this year and there was a ton of snow and it snowed all week. But one anecdote is not evidence, and I suspect conditions vary year to year.

What about booking flights to Innsbruck now and your accommodation when you have seen what the weather's doing? Then if it doesn't look good, you can go to Austria instead Cool

Yep, we were early Jan this year and had great conditions. It was the Russian time of year, but not crowded (especially early in the morning!).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in Kronplatz in mid Jan last year and the conditions were great. Just one season I know but i think almost all slopes in the Sella region are now covered by artificial snow plus a lot don't need very much snow anyway cos they are on meadows. Id feel pretty happy and confident about going when you propose.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah so not to be ruled out! Very Happy

I will consult the others
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It'll be bang on- been there past 2 years and it was fabulous. 1st time not too much snow, this year, loads of snow. Regardless of snow amount, it's great there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well looks like we're back to 4 of us and in Feb!

Only problem now is convincing one member of our group that the snow will be good! He's into nice groomed pistes which I know they will have!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have been twice at Christmas, and are returning this year, and thrice in February, and the piste's have always been pretty good, look on youtube for visual confirmation that it will be good on piste snow whenever you decide to go (65 days and counting) Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MCL wrote:

Only problem now is convincing one member of our group that the snow will be good! He's into nice groomed pistes which I know they will have!

Feb is peak season, everything will be open, plenty of immaculately groomed pistes on an artificial base that gets put in Nov & Dec and is topped up throughout winter, it's what they do best. If you get top-ups while you're there, it will be perfect. If it hasn't snowed naturally for weeks it will be packed.

The area gets lots of clear weather with sunshine in winter which is great for long lunches at the excellent mountain restaurants and taking in the breathtaking scenery.

Off-piste is not a strong point for this area and will depend on what snow falls just before you arrive and while you're there, usually best in Mar/Apr when the spring storms roll through and dump loads up high.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's us booked up for Selva for 8th Feb- Hooray! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice one! Very Happy

Show this to your doubting Thomas, it's a Photo-report of the Sella Ronda (Orange route-clockwise) from late January 2013 from our German friends on Alpinforum...should inspire some confidence about your excellent choice!!

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=46396
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice photo-tour. Looks pretty accurate to me.

Couple of deviations from the shortest route, but all deviations worth taking.

8th is the day 100+ sH go home. We'll try to leave some snow, glühwein, and bombardino for you Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi, wow looks great, even more excited now!

Very Happy
ski holidays
MCL wrote:

this any good for ya?

ski holidays
Personally I'm not a fan of the corduroy - it makes my teeth chatter when I ski over it first thing in the morning !
snow report
dsoutar, Get up later!! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy